• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For Those Of You Who Have A Working Coyote Bronco

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am in the process of building a Coyote Bronco. I should already be done, but my 69 build has taken up time as well.

I have completed many 351Ws and 347s in the past but wanted to do something different. So far, i have chosen proven Coyote parts that have already been installed successfully, ie BC Broncos. Their serpentine system and Modified Mustang headers are already mocked up and ready. I have not chosen a transmission yet. (4R70W 0r 6R80) In the EB I am not so sure that a 6R80 is warranted??? my opinion only.

I have done similar installs in a Factory 5 Cobra (DOHC 4.6) and it ran just like a factory Ford Mustang and I expect the same in the Bronco with a Coyote.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
The meaning of this post was to elicit a response from actual Bronco people driving around with bitchen Coyote motors.. I see there are allot of Bronco people building Coyote Broncos but is anyone actually driving one?

I find this a bit strange too. I would've expected more Coyote experience from the Bronco collective.

Online, you generally see:

-Jeff Ward's Icon Broncos using Coyote motors and driving around.
-Ken Block's wife's Bronco with Coyote motor catching fire.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusi...uild.html?cks=17602477350&emailid=FP_FASTNEWS

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That's basically the thing there are people building them but like most bronco projects they are not finished. There are very few on the road and the ones that are were likely bought not built by the owner so they have little interest in coming to a bronco site where we build broncos ourselves.

In the end I don't see reliability being a factor in either way you go. As more or less either direction will be "new" so it just depends the big IF there is a failure with either setup. As anything can fail wether its straight from the factory or aftermarket.

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
I am in the process of building a Coyote Bronco. I should already be done, but my 69 build has taken up time as well.

I have completed many 351Ws and 347s in the past but wanted to do something different. So far, i have chosen proven Coyote parts that have already been installed successfully, ie BC Broncos. Their serpentine system and Modified Mustang headers are already mocked up and ready. I have not chosen a transmission yet. (4R70W 0r 6R80) In the EB I am not so sure that a 6R80 is warranted??? my opinion only.

I have done similar installs in a Factory 5 Cobra (DOHC 4.6) and it ran just like a factory Ford Mustang and I expect the same in the Bronco with a Coyote.

rguest3, I really appreciate all the Coyote swap info you've shared. I don't think you can go wrong with either transmission. I follow your build at rguest3

Nickm1024cobra's build at Nickm1024cobra

And Dpearce's at Dpearce

I'm really trying to get the chassis and Coyote swap done by summer and drive around with the old body until next year. It will mean some extra work doing it that way but I really want to have some fun with it this year.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To some of the earlier points about members here, are there any members that happen to own an Icon?
I know there are a few members that know the Icon people, and know owners of them. But not sure about actual owners being members that can relate their driving experiences. Don't remember any.

And am also pretty sure that one or two here have had, or are having BC Broncos do an install for them. But don't remember reading about driving. Maybe those projects are still in the project phase as well?
As was suggested already.

And for my own edification, just how close (or far) does a new Coyote fall in the range of the earlier 4.6/5.4 Mod Motors? A legit comparison, or no dice, no deal? Plenty of older Mod installations, with varying degrees of success. Wonder just how many and how extensive the differences really are when it comes down to it.
I guess one basic difference is factory support and wiring harnesses and tunes and such?
But what about physical differences? Just a few? Many? Epic proportions?

I've never sat down and read any comparisons, so don't know if they even fall into the same engine family or not anymore.

Thanks for adding any info. Sorry for the semi-hijack Jamie

Paul

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
The 5.0 really is an all-new engine sharing virtually no parts with the prior 4.6-liter. Only the bore spacing and deck height were carried over, allowing the block and heads to be machined on the same transfer lines with less re-tooling. I would imagine the overall dimensions would be pretty close then. The transmission bolt pattern is the same as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks for the info.
Did seem like there were a lot of changes, but I didn't know how extensive they were.

Glad for one thing though. Usually keeping the same bell housing pattern does make for some easier swaps down the road.

Pal

lbrendis

Jamie,
I was in the same boat as you, going back and forth on the engine decision. I bought my 72 3 years ago. After getting it to stop better and handle much better it is time to make it go faster. I turn my own wrenches so I do get a saving$ there. You need to really evaluate your use and be honest with yourself. What do you want to do: hard core weeling, rock bouncing, daily driver, trailer queen etc. One size does not fit all. I have read and read and read almost all the opinions out there on this site and others on which way to go and at the end of the day what works for you is the way to go! I believe everyone in the Bronco world appreciates everything from a straight six cylinder to a 408 stroker, I know I do. Heck you own a Bronco that in itself is high on the cool meter. Where you live can also swade you in what you do most of the time, I live in So Cal so anytime I go somewhere it is by freeway. I have a 302 now from 87 mustang with the hot rod sound. I decided to go Coyote. I can afford it and I did not want to do this twice. I was really close to the 351W but for some reason I just could not pull the trigger. After making the decision to go Coyote I had no regrets. For me Reliability, fuel injection, torque, serpentine, 200 amp alternator, Mpg, smooth shifting, runs cool, can make it loud or quiet, power upgrades available via software and I can drive to Oregon next year if I want to. There is not a bad choice just make the one that works for you and your family! Enjoy the RIDE!

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I have had pretty much everything from straight 6 cylinder, 289/302, 4.6 cobra mod motor, v6 (3.8L), 351w, several stroker motors and a coyote. For the money 347 or 351w stroked to 408/427 would be the way I would go along with an electronically controlled automatic transmission.

robsredford

Old thread revival- anyone with miles on a coyote swap? What tire size? What ratio rear? Which trans? Mpg? I know they make great power higher in rpm …so do they move the early bronco hood on the street…part throttle?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hopefully you get an answer. I know a lot of them are still in progress, but I think quite a few have been finished in the last couple of years.
They may be higher RPM biased engines, but they still make more down lower than the original engines in our Broncos ever did.
Be interested to hear about driveability as well.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have a Gen II Coyote and 6R80 in my truck. 35" tires, 5.13 gears.

I have had a 302, 351 EFI, 427 and a 408 in the truck. The 427 and 408 where very strong motors. The Coyote has been probably the best overall motor in my truck. It pulls very hard through the whole rpm range. I think the variable cam timing and the variable intake really help this. Also the motor is very efficient. I really like this motor. It does not have quite the tope end power as the strokers but usually at that point the short wheelbase truck is getting crazy anyways. Have not done much crawling with it but I assume it would work great. Runs smooth all the time. I figure if I run out of power either a turbo or supercharger takes care of that problem.

I do miss the simplicity of a carbed 302 but that would be for a different style Bronco. No idea on fuel mileage.

Jaybr

Contributor
I'm in the process of restoring 2 bronco's and on one of them will be replacing essentially everything like you. I went with BP306/sniper motors (370/370) for both. Coyote swap was more than I wanted to tackle, as I'm not a professional builder. The cost of the coyote swap is way more than 3k difference from my research, but if you where planning on selling the truck you would get all that back plus some. So my opinion, if you're keeping the truck and driving it, 302 based motor is a much easier swap and plenty of power. If you're looking to resell at top $$, go coyote.

Can't speak to the driving experience with either option yet.

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
I am in the process of swapping mine with a Gen 2 coyote out of a wrecked mustang. Installed a set of Comp Mutha Thumper Cams while I had the motor apart...hopefully they build a bit more power on the lower end. Went with a 6R80 out of a 4x4 2015 F150 and a Ford Control Pack. Running Currie 9" out back with 4.56 gears, 35 spline axles, and TruTrac...Currie Dana 44 up front. BFG 35x12.50-17 KM3's on Method 17x9 301 wheels. Just got the motor back together with KMF headers and oil pan installed...hoping to drop it in this weekend.

IMG_0157.jpg IMG_0252.jpg EEFC8737-BEE6-44A6-869A-ADBC49103705.JPG IMG_0341.jpg

Last edited: