• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help breaking a ViN Down

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're at the right place, someone will chime in soon!

Torkman66

Contributor
U = Bronco
15= U-100 (Wagon) 4x4
G = 302-2v
L = Michigan Truck
Y61873 = May build

Use this: http://www.broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html

If you have a picture or info from the data plate in glove box, we can tell you more.
You can also order a Marti Report which will give you everything.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
77' built in 5/77 with 302 and like mentioned above, that's all that can be determine from the vin. With the trim code on the warranty plate we can determine if it was a Explorer or Ranger. If it wasn't, you'll need a Marti to determine if it was just a base or a Sport.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
What does the DSO code stand for?
DSO is district sales office, 51 for example is Denver, but the DSO area is a large area. A bronco might have been sold new somewhere in Wyoming and still have a 51 DSO. RV is parchment vinyl bucket seats, no rear seat, so it wasn't an Explorer, Ranger or Special Decor. Still could have been a Sport though.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
DSO is district sales office, 51 for example is Denver, but the DSO area is a large area. A bronco might have been sold new somewhere in Wyoming and still have a 51 DSO. RV is parchment vinyl bucket seats, no rear seat, so it wasn't an Explorer, Ranger or Special Decor. Still could have been a Sport though.
Didn't Special Decors have parchment seats?

Todd Z.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
RV could be for rear seat or no rear seat, but is base model interior. SV is Sport interior.

Rsmith

So I just ordered a Marti report last night to get some info on my 75. Today they are asking for the door jam sticker to help them obtain some info. The sticker was removed at some point. Without the sticker info, will I be able to get much info on the report? The missing stick is partially why I ordered the report. Sorry for the hijack, just curious what my report will show if I can’t provide the door sticker.

Nuke

So I just ordered a Marti report last night to get some info on my 75. Today they are asking for the door jam sticker to help them obtain some info. The sticker was removed at some point. Without the sticker info, will I be able to get much info on the report? The missing stick is partially why I ordered the report. Sorry for the hijack, just curious what my report will show if I can’t provide the door sticker.
Are you missing the glove box as well? The tag in there will have the same info as the door sticker.

Its interesting that they are asking this. Leads me to believe they don't have as much data as I had assumed.

Rsmith

Are you missing the glove box as well? The tag in there will have the same info as the door sticker.

Its interesting that they are asking this. Leads me to believe they don't have as much data as I had assumed.
I have the glove box tag. I didn’t realize it provided the same info. I only provided the vin to them (because that’s all they asked for). I will send them a pick of the glove box tag. Thanks for the info.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I have the glove box tag. I didn’t realize it provided the same info. I only provided the vin to them (because that’s all they asked for). I will send them a pick of the glove box tag. Thanks for the info.
All they should need is the vin

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
They usually ask for that door jamb sticker for research purposes, it won’t affect your report.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The reply I got one time years ago was that because there were different ways that the door jam sticker (certification label) was filled out they wanted your info exactly in order to reproduce it.
They didn’t need it if you were getting just the basic report, but if you were getting a deluxe or were asking for a reproduction certification label they wanted it to look exactly like yours.
I think they may also be trying to avoid scams where someone bought just a glove box door with warranty plate and was trying to fake a bronco body.
Or something along those lines…

Rsmith

I ordered the deluxe but not the reproduction cert. I went ahead and sent them a pic of the glove box tag anyway. Don’t know if it will help them or not. Not really sure what I am looking for with the report but thought it might be kinda cool to get background on my 75. I’m new to the bronco world and the Marti report seems to be popular with owners. Figured I would join the party.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s a good party! It might really truly be next to useless info, but it really is a lot of fun to have a little better handle on what these 50 year old trucks were to their owners when new.
And now us too!

After I got the one for my 71, I went ahead and got them for my 68 and for my 79 pickup truck too.