• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First timer restoration- rust prevention question

DR650

My dad and I are restoring his 71. Doing it on a budget and trying to keep as much original as possible (and pulling pannels is tough work) so we've been cutting out the cancer with a welder and welding in sheet metal. My dad thinks once we're done all we need to do is slap a coat of fresh paint on it and that will be enough to prevent rust (and my guess is he's probably right, been that way about everything else so far) but I've heard of things like por15 and I was wondering what your guys thoughts were. Is por 15 something you'd reserve for the chassis/ areas you wouldn't normally paint. Is it totally dumb to put it down before a layer of paint? And if not would it be over kill on the interior of the car?

Area in photos is front right passenger area.
Before: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/571983014096273409/1014618860198051950/20220830_155232.jpg
After: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/571983014096273409/1014618572573659296/20220830_194828.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome DR. I think you’re both on track with this one.
Lots of users here that have gone down this road before, so you should get some good info I think.

The most important thing would be to keep it dry and always aired out. But since we can’t always do that, some kind of protection is a good second line of defense.

The problem is the design of the body almost guarantees that any water that gets near the truck will get a chance to get trapped in an area that is not quick to dry out.
Those are places like the double layers of sheet-metal between the kick panel and the cowl, the cowl itself, and floor pans, especially under rubber floor mats.

I’ve heard good and bad about POR 15, but wait for others to chime in on their use of it and Eastwood products and others.
Good luck to you and your dad!

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do Not Paint POR15 on panels your gonna paint body color. It only adhers to real porous rusty surfaces like a non sanded frame.

I highly recommend getting a cheap paint gun and some good epoxy primer.

Whenever you finish all you rust repair. Do a good wash with dawn of the bronco, wipe down the entire vehicle with an automotive wax and grease remover and automotive lint free rags, do a quick quick skim of the vehicle with a 220 grit DA sander, wipe the vehicle down again with wax and grease remover, mix 4 quarts of epoxy primer, let it sit 30 minutes, then spray prime 2 medium coats.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

The problem is the design of the body almost guarantees that any water that gets near the truck will get a chance to get trapped in an area that is not quick to dry out.
Those are places like the double layers of sheet-metal between the kick panel and the cowl, the cowl itself, and floor pans, especially under rubber floor mats.
This is interesting. I did notice a lot of places where the sheet metal was double layered like you said. I wonder if it would be worth while to weld a bead along those seams that we can access to prevent water from getting in in the future. It sure would beat having to only drive it when it's sunny out (though that's somewhat feasible given we are based in socal).

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Automotive seam sealer is made to seal things like that up after you spot weld panels in.

Modern panel adhesives allow you to paint both sides of panels like rockers and things before installing and provide better rust prevention than welding replacement panels in due to welds burning off the backside of the panels paint when you install creating a place to rust.

But I also think your overthrowing this rust issue being you live in California. Rusted out Broncos we're left in fields for 20 years straight full of leaves and mud in Louisiana or the northeast.

Yours is gonna be parked in a shop or garage and will not deteriorate cause it got rain on it once a month while driving, LOL. Unless you buy some panels made of sugar.

walker_creek

I sprayed LOTS of Permatex Rust Treatment anywhere I couldn't reach such as between the inner and outer quarter panels. The areas I couldn't get cleaned first with paint thinner I blasted clean with canned electric motor degreaser. The Rust Treatment turns black when it chemically reacts with rust. It must've worked because 16 years later I've only found one little spot of paint bubbling from rust.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

But I also think your overthrowing this rust issue being you live in California. Rusted out Broncos we're left in fields for 20 years straight full of leaves and mud in Louisiana or the northeast.
Thanks for the input. I think my concern stems from seeing all the rust damage and wanting to prevent it happening again.
Yours is gonna be parked in a shop or garage and will not deteriorate cause it got rain on it once a month while driving, LOL. Unless you buy some panels made of sugar.
You're right, it will be taken care of in the way you describe so.. yeah, I'll rest a little easier with that in mind.