• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips for Installing Dana 20

Jambi

Contributor
When installing the Dana 20 is the preferred method to first mount the transmission adapter (I have a C4 transmission) to the transmission then mount the Dana 20, or first mount the adapter to the Dana 20 and then mount it all as one unit to the transmission?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I prefer to attach the adapter to the C4 first. It makes the tcase easier to manage by hand. Don't put the cross member in until you get the tcase bolted up or it will be difficult to get to all six bolts. Instead put a jack or strap under the C4 pan to help support it. Use sealer on the tcase to adapter bolts.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Contributor
What about preferred gasket sealer between the D20 and adapter and between the adapter and transmission? When I removed the D20 adapter from the transmission, there wasn't a gasket there (surprisingly I didn't have a leak there), but I think I'd feel more comfortable using a gasket.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What about preferred gasket sealer between the D20 and adapter and between the adapter and transmission? When I removed the D20 adapter from the transmission, there wasn't a gasket there (surprisingly I didn't have a leak there), but I think I'd feel more comfortable using a gasket.
Adapter to D20-teflon paste thread sealer on the bolts works very well. There should be a gasket that goes between the D20 and bearing retainer. A really thin smear of anaerobic sealer on the gasket is a nice touch.

Adapter to C4-thin layer of anaerobic sealer on the gasket. Nothing needed on the bolts.