• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AODE swap: Do I need 1" body lift???

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Need help please,

Got the AODE bolted up to the motor, D20 behind it, but need another inch to make Tom's crossmember to work.

Question, do I HAVE to put in a 1" body lift or can I do something else to get the clearance I need for the D20 to floor gusset?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Eddie

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have done it without the body lift. But there was a bit of butchery and clearancing of the floor to make it happen. I don't know how the Tom's crossmember sets the transmission, I made my own crossmember.

But I will say a 1" body lift would have made things a LOT easier and cleaner.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
This quick trick might get you there. Assuming the crossmember used 4 bolts like stock, you can drop it down and just use 2 bolts per side. If you are trying to maintain ground clearance you will loose 1-1 1/2" at the bottom of the D20.

Jim

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
This quick trick might get you there. Assuming the crossmember used 4 bolts like stock, you can drop it down and just use 2 bolts per side. If you are trying to maintain ground clearance you will loose 1-1 1/2" at the bottom of the D20.

Jim
Now that is an interesting proposal. Would drop my driveshaft angle a bit too, which would be helpful since the AODE is going to make it higher with the extra overall length. Hmmm

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
I have done it without the body lift. But there was a bit of butchery and clearancing of the floor to make it happen. I don't know how the Tom's crossmember sets the transmission, I made my own crossmember.

But I will say a 1" body lift would have made things a LOT easier and cleaner.
Thanks for the input here. Really don’t want to butcher it up.
Thx for the help!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Maybe this does not apply but I have a 4R70W with an NP205 on a custom crossmember and did not have to cut my floor. I did have to extend the hole for the t-case shifter forward a bit I think but nothing crazy. i could have done it w/o any cutting but the shifter did not move as nice. The key is an automatic column to avoid all the shifter on the floor nonsense, I had to cut and re-weld the shift rod and shifter arm on the transmission.

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Maybe this does not apply but I have a 4R70W with an NP205 on a custom crossmember and did not have to cut my floor. I did have to extend the hole for the t-case shifter forward a bit I think but nothing crazy. i could have done it w/o any cutting but the shifter did not move as nice. The key is an automatic column to avoid all the shifter on the floor nonsense, I had to cut and re-weld the shift rod and shifter arm on the transmission.
Nope. Different deal on floor clearance. Same deal on shifter (twin sticks) moving rearward. Thx tho

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
The 1" lift went in smooth! Clearances are great fir the D20 and I have room under the hood for a proper air cleaner on top of my Sniper. Bonus!

Thanks again for the input folks!