• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Help

Torkman66

Contributor
I have a Dana 44 that came with my Bronco that has nothing but the case. The internal guts are completely stripped out and only the case, steering knuckles and spindles are left (which at least allows the wheels and steering to be operational. I want to stay with a Dana 44 and will go to 4:11 or 4:09 gears to match the rear, but not sure about best way to proceed. Should I look for another Dana 44 that is complete and rebuild it with new mater kit, trac lock, and R&P, or should I (can I) locate and purchase everything I need for the empty setup I have on the Bronco now? Thank in advance.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s what I did. Does your comes with bearing caps? This matters since bearing caps are match set with case. Mine didn’t but I got a strong stomach so I bought a set off ebay and going to real world test with mine. Im going with locker but you can get all internal parts from bronco venders.

Eugene

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IF you were upgrading from a stock 3.50 geared to D44 to 4,11 you would need all he same parts you are missing. Based on what you describe ou are wanting I would buy all new parts and put it together.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And it would not hurt to verify the housing’s condition prior to putting money into it.
Check for straitness, loose tubes, anything out of the ordinary, etc.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
IF you were upgrading from a stock 3.50 geared to D44 to 4,11 you would need all he same parts you are missing. Based on what you describe ou are wanting I would buy all new parts and put it together.

Yeah definitely...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
And it would not hurt to verify the housing’s condition prior to putting money into it.
Check for straitness, loose tubes, anything out of the ordinary, etc.

yes sir.. definitely a good idea

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
No, the bearing caps are not present. Any other options to consider regarding bearing cap replacement? I plan on going to a 4:11 and upgrading to disc brakes. I do have the axels and the housing cover, but thats it. I'll look into the master kit, 4:11 R&P, and disc brake parts. I'll need a posi as well. Can I assume that the Dana 44 master rebuild kit will have everything needed (all the washers, pins, nuts, bolts etc. that are all missing)? Is there anything that I will need to locate that will not be in a rebuild kit?

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
No, the bearing caps are not present. Any other options to consider regarding bearing cap replacement? I plan on going to a 4:11 and upgrading to disc brakes. I do have the axels and the housing cover, but thats it. I'll look into the master kit, 4:11 R&P, and disc brake parts. I'll need a posi as well. Can I assume that the Dana 44 master rebuild kit will have everything needed (all the washers, pins, nuts, bolts etc. that are all missing)? Is there anything that I will need to locate that will not be in a rebuild kit?
Bearing caps are machined with the housing. If no caps the housing is worth scrap metal prices.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No bearing caps, the housing is junk.
Keep the knuckles, they may be useful. But the housing itself isn't.
There is no affordable way to get new caps to work in your existing housing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Weren’t there aftermarket companies at some point that built high strength or billet bearing caps for these differentials?
I hear you on the machined together at the factory, but if there were aftermarket add-ons how did those work?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Weren’t there aftermarket companies at some point that built high strength or billet bearing caps for these differentials?
I hear you on the machined together at the factory, but if there were aftermarket add-ons how did those work?
Yup, you can certainly replace your bearing caps. that's true for connecting rods, main bearings, and axle housings. (with the noteworthy exception of "cracked" caps on Coyote connecting rods...)

The key word from @Broncobowsher is "affordable." The proper way to resize any main cap is to remove a small amount of material from the cap mounting face, so that the resulting journal "circle" is slightly smaller than the intended finished diameter. Then align bore to the finished diameter. It is VERY straightforward, but requires extensive set-up, and is labor intensive, and therefore expensive. Usually far more expensive than a replacement housing.

I like to get bronco D44 housings without caps, because I can install new caps and bore them in my spare time. Usually takes about 4 hours on the Bridgeport, after the housing is stripped and cleaned. At $200 per hour, that's an $800 job. Which is not economical for a $500 housing. Thus the "scrap" value noted by @Glass Pony

But if you have nothing but time, and when you are doing it for fun...I've saved them before. Obviously if you are building a high performance race car, and budget is not important...

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I've read several articles about the bearing caps and many suggest that if used ones from another case are used in a front 4x4 axel they will be fine. They suggest the axel gears get minimal use and always at slow speeds. Several have offered they have been using theirs with replaced caps for several years without issue. Thoughts?

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here’s one I read. Pirate so you have to take it with grain of salt. My thoughts is the same for front axle with missing match caps. I’m willing to gamble to save some now and run it while I save for 609.

Eugene

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t think anyone is not aware of the risk.

Eugene