• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What are the odds that this could happen twice?!!!

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In 2008 I managed to let my 73 Bronco take a nose dive off of my lift that I was unfamiliar with. In the end, I ended up with new doors, rockers, auxiliary tank and a new paint job for the cost of a $250 deductible. Embarrassing but a "good" outcome. Now it's 2022 and I leave this same Bronco with an auto repair shop to see if they can get my transmission working better. I got a call last Friday saying they have some bad news and some worse news. He said he hasn't figured out the transmission issue but my Bronco FELL OFF OF THE LIFT! He was under it and was able to move quick enough so that's good. This time it fell off sideways and backwards. I guess there's a silver lining again. I was getting ready to spend the big bucks on one last premium paint job. Now his shop's insurance coverage is going to be paying for body work, new paint, new Duff's spare tire carrier, new soft top and new bumpers.

Attachments

• IMG_1263[1].JPG
    IMG_1263[1].JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1264[1].JPG
    IMG_1264[1].JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1265[1].JPG
    IMG_1265[1].JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1262[1].JPG
    IMG_1262[1].JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 256

71 CA Bronco

Such a bummer. At least the shop is stepping up to take care of the damages. I'm curious how it happened? Is there something about modern lifts that can cause the issue?
When I was a kid working at an old Chevron station I screwed up and lifted a car without setting the pads. Bend the exhaust a bit but otherwise only damage was to my ego. Those were all single post lifts back then.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's the front legs that just don't want to stay put on the frame where it starts to rise. I know when he gets it back to finish his job on the transmission he will be putting a chain or something around it to make it secure. He has been in business for 25 years with a great reputation and feels terrible. It's the first time he has ever seen this happen.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's the front legs that just don't want to stay put on the frame where it starts to rise. I know when he gets it back to finish his job on the transmission he will be putting a chain or something around it to make it secure. He has been in business for 25 years with a great reputation and feels terrible. It's the first time he has ever seen this happen.

Not the way you want to start a weekend, but at least you were planning on painting again - and it happened before, not after. Wonder how many times he picked up the phone before he actually dialed your number?

On that note...,,,think I’d have him repair the transmission first before the body work gets started!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's why shops have insurance.
Good thing is you are not dealing with a survivor, since it has had body work done before it isn't bad to do a little more.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The whole thing is pretty cringe-worthy! But at least it was the other end this time. ;) Any idea what went wrong? Given that this was the first time he had this happen, you have to wonder what was the faiure scenario this time. Most catastrophes are the result of a chain of events. Good to know if any of us ever have ours up on a shop lift again.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
EB on a two post loft scares the crap out of me. Just no good place to get the arms. Watched mine almost fall off a 2 post. It's never been back on one. Just will not take the chance.

Tim

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
I used to do oil changes and tire work at a gas station as a kid (16-20), my boss showed me how to make sure the car was positioned correctly. You lift it a couple of inches off the ground and jump up and down on the bumper, if it doesn't move you are good. Lifted dozens of cars, never had one fall off.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Sorry to hear that it's happened to you, especially twice. Good to hear how he is stepping up.

This is the reason I bought a 4 post hoist with bridge jacks. Yes at times the ramps can be a pain, but more often they are handy as a place to put parts and tools, plus I don't have to worry when tugging on that rusted bolt. In the past I've used center post, 2 post and 4 post. They each have there advantages and disadvantages. Putting the front arms on a bronco on a 2 post requires additional support and care. Some guys use 4x4s through the frame and chain the front arms in place some guys use special brackets to give the arms something flat to lift on. Bottom line you just can't put the 2 post front arms on the angled radius arms of a bronco or anything else and expected it to be safe.

Last edited:

BanditBronco

I always go to the radius arm mounts if they are stock, that seems to work out pretty well for me, gives the pad something nice and odd shaped to grab onto. Always a love hate relationship with insurance, but fun to get a sweet new candy apple paint job though.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not the way you want to start a weekend, but at least you were planning on painting again - and it happened before, not after. Wonder how many times he picked up the phone before he actually dialed your number?

On that note...,,,think I’d have him repair the transmission first before the body work gets started!
I just talked with him about getting the tranny work done before the body shop gets it all pretty again.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will probably have some free stuff available soon. Bent bumpers, bent Rampage top, bent James Duff rear tire carrier....

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've put mine on a 2 post lift dozens of times. No matter what work I'm doing to them, but especially anything that requires wheel removal, the bronco gets lifted a foot off the ground, then shake up and down on both ends like a wild man to make sure it's going to ride the lift ok. Do the same on my daughter's jeep. So far so good. On my 71' I've got the axles marked now where the lift pads should go.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going to get input on best replacement rear quarters but I'm betting they will just reshape what's on there. I had those body seams welded up during the full resto back around 2002. I don't know if they want to cut all of that out and redo the lines again.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always go to the radius arm mounts if they are stock, that seems to work out pretty well for me, gives the pad something nice and odd shaped to grab onto. Always a love hate relationship with insurance, but fun to get a sweet new candy apple paint job though.
I do too but the one I am building now had the t rex arms and it is awkward at best.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, about $10,300 in repairs and another $2,900 in parts for that little oopsie. Now I am waiting for the body shop guy to give me a quote to paint the whole thing the true Wind Blue color. I think I will upgrade to BC Bronco's canvas top at the same time. Now the question is will I get it back before I head to Texas for the winter.

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
I don't know if this holds any bearing in your situation, but I am noticing that more and more businesses are cutting corners in everything. And, in this case....it seems like they forgot to properly assure that the EB was properly set on the lift.

I'm glad you have a good attitude about it and that you see it as material stuff. However, I can also understand the frustration of it all. You should go play the lotto...lol.