• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The next Bronco owner in Germany

zweeny

Contributor
Loc.
Germany
Hello everyone,
after watching this awesome forum for some time now i wanted to introduce you my bronco (and the story behind it) which now has a new home in a small village near cologne.

I've dreamed of a Bronco for a long time. In the last few years I've looked on the internet for bronco's that were for sale. But I never had the courage (money.... :) ) to buy one.

There were always enough excuses...not to buy one. Last spring I finally decided to buy one.

The contacts from my vacations in the USA couldn't help so I searched the internet.

I found some interesting vehicles and talked to the sellers, etc... I had to realize that many of the vehicles weren't really "there" and were probably only on the internet as "appetizers !?".

I finally found a Bronco that I thought "this might fit". The condition wasn't the best but OK. It was clear to me that there was a lot to be done so that it turned out the way I imagined it to be. At that point I wasn't sure how much...

(maybe one of you knows the vehicle?)

A few conversions had already been made and I thought this would be a good base for my Bronco. Finaly i bought the Bronco in Reno in 08/2021 and had it shipped with a freight forwarder.
Unfortunately everything was delayed and the Bronco was not in my garage until 01/22

Thanks to the "good connection" from the importer to the German TÜV, the vehicle was already checked by the TÜV and had the classic vehicle registration.

The first ride was horrible. Basically, the Bronco was not drivable on German roads. When braking or accelerating, it moved from right to left and the steering play was almost half a turn.....

so the "journey" began with the repairs and conversions.

following some pictures from the first days of the Bronco in his new home.

I will report how it went / is going on

many greetings
Sven
Neunkirchen/ Germany

1664787629655.png
1664787684581.png
1664787729415.png
1664787772364.png
1664787879712.png
1664787908389.png
1664787946804.png

1664788143459.png
1664788191350.png
1664788313942.png

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Congratulations. And Welcome, Welcome to the Bronco sickness...
We look forward to watching the transformation.
Doug.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Big welcome.. So great to have you on with us. Nice rig you got there

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Welcome Sven. Get your steering and brakes worked out and it looks like you'll be good to go for now. I'll bet that one turns a few heads when you drive around. :cool:

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I was in Munich and Cologne last week. Germany is such a good place to visit for work and pleasure.

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
Welcome aboard Sven. Thanks for sharing your story. I bet you get a lot of looks when driving about.
Mein frau ist Deutsch, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut!

OP
OP
zweeny

zweeny

Contributor
Loc.
Germany
Hello everyone.

many thanks for the warm welcome.

I look forward to the lively exchange with you.

it's nice to see what the bronco virus is doing to all of us. ;)

OP
OP
zweeny

zweeny

Contributor
Loc.
Germany
I think it looks great just like it is. Very nice.
Hi TX-ZACH,

thank you for your message.

I like the more "original" look of the Bronco.

As you can see from the first pictures, it didn't look like this when I imported it...;-)

regards

OP
OP
zweeny

zweeny

Contributor
Loc.
Germany
Welcome Sven. Get your steering and brakes worked out and it looks like you'll be good to go for now. I'll bet that one turns a few heads when you drive around. :cool:
Hi BronCowie,

after the first ride i was very disappointed and thought it couldn't be.

then I went to look for the cause. Wheel bearings, steering linkage are not new but ok.
The wide tires certainly play a role. but since I have to change them anyway (thanks to the german law :mad:) I ignored these for now.

A friend of mine has a workshop and a wheel alignment station.
here the report. (sorry is in German)
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-07 um 07.16.25.png
As you can see, something probably doesn't fit

a new suspension without lift (WH) with bilstein dampers was already planned anyway. This should also bring an improvement.:unsure:
Since it is easy and relatively cheap, I decided to change the caster angle with new 4° C bearings to see what happens.

Furthermore, the steering box had a lot of play. I then read on forums and looked arround for spare parts to overhaul it....but In the end I decided to install a new Borgeson kit.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-07 um 07.40.18.png
after that...what a surprise... the bronco can also go straight :)
Now he stays on track and the offset when accelerating and braking is gone.

later, when I put the new rims and tires on, the Bronco drove like a different car.

Summer came and I decided to do further work on the chassis in winter time.
I will measure it again and see where the values are now.

When the time comes, I'll post the measured values and hope for your recommendation on what I can improve.

regards

OP
OP
zweeny

zweeny

Contributor
Loc.
Germany
I was in Munich and Cologne last week. Germany is such a good place to visit for work and pleasure.

i like both places.... but... i'm a "Kölsche Jung" and was born and raised here, so cologne is my favorite city

Get in touch the next time you're here and and we'll go drink a Kölsch (or two, tree,....).;)

OP
OP
zweeny

zweeny

Contributor
Loc.
Germany
Welcome aboard Sven. Thanks for sharing your story. I bet you get a lot of looks when driving about.
Mein frau ist Deutsch, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut!
Hi,

you're right,
many are looking around and are probably wondering what is THAT?

Some probably only turn around because it is loud (by German standards).;)
Unfortunately, many do not understand the enthusiasm and love for V8 oltimer and are angry about such a loud, smelly gas guzzler...

What region is your wife from?

and by the way, your German is very good.:)
(maybe better than my english):ROFLMAO:

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
^^
haha I should have included the translation!
My wife is German, but my German is not very good.

She's originally from Hannover. And she appreciates Broncos!