• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BAT Craziness

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Couple nice ones on bring a trailer could bring the big bucks

Attachments

• 02DF3450-CA4B-4413-A99A-FB574EDC59FE.jpeg
    02DF3450-CA4B-4413-A99A-FB574EDC59FE.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 11058758-74CE-47F7-9A3B-C9DB7B758983.jpeg
    11058758-74CE-47F7-9A3B-C9DB7B758983.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 38

House

Minutia Militia
The sad thing (to me anyway) is even though that Baja is beautiful and rare it will still not fetch the high numbers that the big name resto mod shops are fetching…

TNcowboy

The bottom plate is actually threaded, so there is no washer and nut needed.
Very common misconception, so don’t feel bad.
@Comemonday71 is actually correct here. There should be a washer and a nut. Here's a picture from the Baja listing on BAT

Attachments

• BEB09384-B8DD-49C6-AE91-54A69C60625B.jpeg
    BEB09384-B8DD-49C6-AE91-54A69C60625B.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 85

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
@Comemonday71 is actually correct here. There should be a washer and a nut. Here's a picture from the Baja listing on BAT
But production Broncos did not use washers and nuts on the bottom of the body bolts. Maybe the Baja did, but not plain ol' production Broncos. Certainly none of the Broncos I have had used washers and nuts. I know, because it always looked strange.

TNcowboy

That would certainly make sense from a production standpoint. If you have any pictures of that it'd be great if you can post one

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. The Baja Bronco did not use nuts and washers underneath. Broncos used a threaded nut washer unit for the lower number 1 and 2 mounts . If you've ever seen a nut on one it is either a) aftermarket washer and nut on a bolt because someone has put on new body mounts and hardware or b) someone rolled under a Bronco on a creeper and said "Darn - the body almost fell off get me a nut and washer and I'll zip it on and save the day,"

71 CA Bronco

No. The Baja Bronco did not use nuts and washers underneath. Broncos used a threaded nut washer unit for the lower number 1 and 2 mounts . If you've ever seen a nut on one it is either a) aftermarket washer and nut on a bolt because someone has put on new body mounts and hardware or b) someone rolled under a Bronco on a creeper and said "Darn - the body almost fell off get me a nut and washer and I'll zip it on and save the day,"
And you forgot. They are all rusted on by now and will require a sawzal or other approriate cutting tool if you ever want to get the buggers off. :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if any assembly line mishaps ever happened necessitating a quick fix?
Maybe someone over-torqued them on a particular model and stripped out the cones. A quick fix would be a nut and may be even a washer.

The first bronco I ever saw that had nuts was my 71 the first time I crawled under. I thought it was strange that it had nuts (no washers) and figured one of the previous owners had installed them after they panicked seeing just exposed threads coming through.

I have seen quite a few others since then however.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe someone over-torqued them on a particular model and stripped out the cones. A quick fix would be a nut and may be even a washer.

The first bronco I ever saw that had nuts was my 71 the first time I crawled under. I thought it was strange that it had nuts (no washers) and figured one of the previous owners had installed them after they panicked seeing just exposed threads coming through.

I have seen quite a few others since then however.
I think they would distort if that happened. They have about 1/2" of threads or slightly more - I have one here at my desk since replying earlier. I bet it's folks getting nervous and not understanding they are a threaded unit. I'll post a pic.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree that’s the most likely scenario. And it’s what I always assumed until just then while we were having this discussion.
It is a lot of thread, so it would be unusual to have enough torque to strip it out. Unless for some reason it didn’t distort and lock itself together.
But that would be pretty hard to determine during assembly.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, they lock together and "click" when so. And become even stronger when that upper collar snaps on the lower piece we are talking about. Here's some pics of an original. I try to use these in my restorations and often spend lots of time freeing them from one another.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 51

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, they lock together and "click" when so. And become even stronger when that upper collar snaps on the lower piece we are talking about. Here's some pics of an original. I try to use these in my restorations and often spend lots of time freeing them from one another.

Very nice

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

wouldn't put it past em

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wouldn't put it past em
How about........ The new guy at Ford in March of 71, couldn't get the bolt to drop all the way in, so he grabbed his drill, with 3/8 bit and drilled down thru there, knocking out the threads at the bottom ....thinking someone else was doing the nuts n washers later on down the line. He got thru 10 or 12 trucks and then..... Oh crap...here comes Bart....the super....he took that boy aside and said... "look here....now these are threaded, son.... you take these nuts and washers here in my hand and you personally check which ones you did this to...and install them on those Broncos,,,,,now!"

I mean, theres just gotta be a way they had nuts and washers from the factory.... maybe the really strong guy with bad ass air gun was just wailing on them. Definitely a cooler story.

I think it happened after the assembly line personally.

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many Early Broncos on BAT at the same time. Current count is 12!

Seems bat is trying to cash in on the Bronco buzz. Lot's of varying quality showing up - several different shops appear involved but too bad so many are flippers. Buyers need to do their homework to find the best trucks with honest build quality. Good documentation and photo details on the Stroppe - that's what it takes to know for certain what you are buying.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, Andrew. I like the original body mounts too. When the male /female are pressed together, it's a stronger mount than the aftermarket bolt and sleeve it would seem. I have carefully removed them, bead blasted them and had them re-zinc plated . Someone needs to repop them as the originals!...

Most people don't get into that degree of detail though......

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 58
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG