• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What are the odds that this could happen twice?!!!

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if this holds any bearing in your situation, but I am noticing that more and more businesses are cutting corners in everything. And, in this case....it seems like they forgot to properly assure that the EB was properly set on the lift.

I'm glad you have a good attitude about it and that you see it as material stuff. However, I can also understand the frustration of it all. You should go play the lotto...lol.
It's a reputable shop and I will take it back there for future work. I just wonder if this wasn't the first EB he had to position on the lift. Their frames are unique and challenging.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thom, we were just talking about the 1st time!

When I made my living with a lift this was always my biggest fear. Very safe tool but takes a lot of care to be safe.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, someone on here suggested I should play the lottery but I don’t see the logic.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Dang that’s some bad luck, sounds like something that would happen to me lol. Thankful when I had my transmission rebuilt. There were no issues

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
Lifted mine at home on two post lift. Always shake really good while just barely off the ground. Removed rear tires, unstrapped rear gas tank with about 5 gallons of fuel left in tank and began to slowly lower the tank to the ground. Suddenly truck started to flip up off the rear lift pads. I stupidly grabbed the rear axle housing and pulled it back down on the lift. I weigh 165 lbs soaking wet and was stuck holding on to the rearend for 15 minutes until my brother arrived and was able to get the truck balanced again so I could let go. Thankfully I had my cell phone in my pocket and not laying on the bench near by. Was able to call him with one hand while I held on with the other. Never get under the bronco again without chains on the lift arms. I learned the hard way.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been a Ford technician since 1988 and Early Bronco's are by far the worst vehicle I've ever had to lift!! My current LUBER has the rockers cut off and 2x4" tubing for rock "skis" which work perfect for lifting it up by :)

Attachments

• luber2.jpg
    luber2.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 37

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
We were always required to use ratchet straps when using a two post for this reason. One of the builders removed the rear end on a pickup and it did a nosedive off the hoist. Had to strap one front and one rear arm to the frame.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should have the shop owner read all of these tales of woe with a Bronco on a lift so he doesn't feel so bad about it.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I will probably have some free stuff available soon. Bent bumpers, bent Rampage top, bent James Duff rear tire carrier....
I'd say with a little heat and a BFH the tire carrier could be fixed. If you are near Nashville I'll take it off your hands.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Never thought about removing weight and changing the balance... we use my buddy's 2 point lift all the time. He made a short bracket that fits onto the front swing arms on the lift and it has a short pc of pipe that fits up into the body mount. Won't ever move when in there. Glad your shop guy is ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ouch! I just got the estimate for the body shop to repair the other boos boos on this that weren't caused by the fall and do a total repaint back to Wind Blue, $12,137. I am beginning to think I can live with the current color and just have him touch up the boo boos. I guess I am used to the old days when they really couldn't match the colors so easy so they had to paint the whole thing to make it match. It was 2002 when I last paid for a paint job out of pocket. The hourly rate certainly wasn't $100 back then. Oh well, it's a daily driver, not a show Bronco.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Photoshop special.

Not even a good one...

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, usually good photoshops are fun to look at. lol

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, I thought the original OP was doing quite well for having his Bronco fall off a lift..
What a miserable phone call that must have been to make & receive!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
It's a reputable shop and I will take it back there for future work. I just wonder if this wasn't the first EB he had to position on the lift. Their frames are unique and challenging.

you better have a LONG talk w/them :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, I thought the original OP was doing quite well for having his Bronco fall off a lift..
What a miserable phone call that must have been to make & receive!

no doubt would hate to be owner there and have to make that call

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, here's the new schedule. The repair shop has me back on the calendar for doing the original transmission work. I am going to share some of the comments on here for the proper way to insure an EB doesn't fall off the lift. Once he is done I will bring it back to the garage to take off as much as I need to with my $0 per hour labor cost before it goes to the body shop for repair and repaint. I winter in Texas so they will get it mid-December. I come back to Wisconsin in mid-April so I will arrange to have it brought to my home when they are done. I won't be able to see it or put all of the stuff back on it until then. I'll have to get them to send me after pics so I can share them on here. I do have a good attitude about this whole ordeal but when I step back to look at the situation..... THIS SUCKS! It used to be so pretty!

Attachments

• OCBR.JPG
    OCBR.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is finally off to the body shop. The first body shop decided that they really didn't want this job so after wasting several weeks of my time I found a new one. It got picked up this morning and I will see it when I get back in April. IMG_1427[1].JPG