• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 alternator wiring issue

jnirenstein

Hi,
I am attaching a lousy pic (the only one I have) of the existing wiring for my 66. As you can see from the picture there appear to be 2 wires (blk/yel) and (blk) going to the junction attached to the inner fender next to the starter relay. If you look closely you can also see a ground wire that attaches to one of the bolts holding the starter relay to the body. It's very hard to tell how these wires attach to the alternator as my original harness is destroyed. As you can also see there are 3 wires going to the Battery positive side of the starter relay: The POS battery cable, A solid Yellow wire and a Blk wire which I believe comes from the ammeter in the dash. My questions are:

1. What is the Blk wire going to the Junction?
2. Where is the ground behind the relay bolt coming from?
3. Are ONLY the Fld, Gnd, and BAT terminals used on the alternator?
4. Is anything attached to the ARM terminal?

Thanks for ANY help.
Cheers,
John

Attachments

• 10F9FB8E-D5F8-4598-A4FB-A07F065ED992.jpeg
    10F9FB8E-D5F8-4598-A4FB-A07F065ED992.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 78

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
off the top of my head 3 is correct and 4 armature terminal has nothing on it. at least that's how it is on my 66. i just traced the wiring because i have a slight beat to the lights, they get a little brighter then a little dimmer, then repeat. i have a new regulator which is much better than the o'reilly's i had in there at least now the ammeter doesn't move at all! I just brought my bronco to my moms garage so i can bring my studebaker back, car show this weekend cutoff year is 63, that knocks the bronco out! otherwise i'd go look. all sorts of reasons someone may have put a ground wire under the solenoid. the solid yellow goes to the regulator. I can't recall where the black wire goes...
c

U13FL735

I think the heavy gauge black wire on your junction terminal goes around and into the dash and thru the loop on the back of the amp meter. to show charge or discharge. After going thru the loop it joins several others in a splice in the harness behind the dash. On mine that black wire is only attached along the underhood harness, not included/taped with the others....like it was a afterthought when they built it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t know how many ways the 66 was different from all the rest of the years in this regard, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt and wait for more details from the 66 gurus.
But all years had at least a few things in common with the connections, if not precisely the same routing of wires.

As mentioned the large black wire is one big loop. It runs from the back of the alternator on the BAT terminal all the way through the firewall, through the ammeter loop, and then back out to the battery via the starter relay.
So the black with yellow is coming from the BAT terminal of the alternator and the all black at the starter relay/solenoid is the other end of the same wire.
When the engine is off the vehicle is powered by the battery via that wire.
When the engine is running the vehicle is powered by the alternator via that wire and it charges the battery at the same time.
Along the way it powers the fuse box and other accessories.

Where is the voltage regulator now?
Normally a small black ground wire runs from one of the GRD terminals at the back of the alternator over to one of the attaching bolts for the voltage regulator. Not normally the starter relay.
However a lot of us connect a battery ground from the negative terminal of the battery to that starter relay bolt. Someone may have done that in the past.
It looks like your main battery ground cable from the battery to the engine block is missing in the picture. That cable originally grounded the body as well, then once it is changed out for a newer one you have to create your own body ground.
Which a lot of people don’t, which causes a lot of trouble down the road.

Usually the only other connection at the alternator is the FLD terminal connected to the F terminal of the voltage regulator with the Orange field wire.
But look at your regulator connector. Are there wires in three of the cavities, or all four?
Passenger cars without ammeters used four, while our trucks with the gauge used three and a completely different method of connection.
So this is something to make sure of because maybe in 66 they were still fiddling around. I doubt it though, so the connections I mention should be correct.
Or at least they should get things working.

Keep that alternator though!
Just the fact that it has an armature connection on it says it must be very old.
Or were you speaking of the regulator?

And while I’m thinking about it, what does that large black wire with the multiple splices connect to? Whatever it is, replace it.
Especially if it’s the main BAT charge wire!
If you’re not sure, follow it as far as you can.
If it’s factory the only large gauge black wire in that area should be the main charging loop wire.

The normal connections at the voltage regulator are listed as F, S, A and I. On our Broncos only the F, S, and A are used.
The F terminal is a direct connection to the FLD post on the alternator. The S gets a green with red stripe wire directly to the ignition switch. The A is that yellow wire mentioned earlier that is connected to the starter relay’s battery post.

Let us know if yours looks like it’s a variation on that theme.
Later model broncos did not come with that terminal block mounted to the body, so not being versed in 66 stuff very well I can’t say that that’s factory or not.
Looks like you’ve already got some 66 experts on the job so they should be able to confirm that.

Good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at the picture again I think I see more details. It looks like that black wire with all the spices is connected to the starter relay. Is that correct?
If so then the section with all the spices should have traveled back to the firewall at some point.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
66/67 charging schematic (partial) courtesy seabiscuit68.
http://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/ scroll down to 66 charging system for complete schematic.

EDIT: this is not how early 66 is wired with junction block on fender.
2022-10-06_140802.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jnirenstein

jnirenstein

Here's a pic of what the Starter relay and Junction block look like today after a total restoration. I believe I have all the connections correct except I think I might be missing 1 wire as I may have purchased the incorrect alternator harness from CJ pony parts.

My central question is: Should there be a wire connecting the BAT terminal on the alternator to the Junction block? (This would mean 2 wires going to the BAT terminal.) One from the short alternator harness and two; the "jumper" from the BAT terminal to the junction block. It is impossible to find a wiring diagram that includes this junction block and it's connections. As you can see from the original photo there are two large (#12-#10) wires going to the junction block. I just don't know where the other end of that solid black wire goes... The truck has an ammeter gauge. (Not and idiot light). The large Black/Yellow wire to the junction block is one end of the long loop that runs thru the back of the ammeter gauge. The other end of the black/Yellow wire is the large solid Black wire connected behind he Red Positive Battery cable on the starter relay. What appears to be missing is the other large wire to the Junction block. I'm guessing that if there was a wire going from the junction block to the BAT terminal on the alternator this would complete the circuit allowing the alternator to charge the battery?? Thanks for the continued help!!! Damn 66's!!

Attachments

• A7583D72-D726-464D-8B0E-0469B8EEBBCB.jpeg
    A7583D72-D726-464D-8B0E-0469B8EEBBCB.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 44

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
This thread may have some answers for you:

May need to contact Viperwolf1 and have him reload pictures of 66 alternator harness, the links dont work.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a pic of what the Starter relay and Junction block look like today after a total restoration. I believe I have all the connections correct except I think I might be missing 1 wire as I may have purchased the incorrect alternator harness from CJ pony parts.
Or they only have the incorrect harness.
It's possible that even though someone lists a '66 harness now, it might fit only the later build models that appear more like the later Broncos.

My central question is: Should there be a wire connecting the BAT terminal on the alternator to the Junction block?
Only if it's there simply as a junction block, and that the other wire connected there runs up into the firewall to function as it does on later models.

(This would mean 2 wires going to the BAT terminal.) One from the short alternator harness and two; the "jumper" from the BAT terminal to the junction block.
No, not needed. No reason for Ford to have used two because it would cost more money and be unecessary.
What is this "short" alternator harness? The one from the back of the alternator to the 3-wire plug/connector?

It is impossible to find a wiring diagram that includes this junction block and it's connections.
Common issue with first year vehicles and when the OE manufacturer was making running changes as early production progressed.
This is especially common when small electrical wiring changes were made. All the books from Haynes and Chiltons (and possibly even Ford) from the early days until now have missing aspects.
First is as you've found, nobody lists the differences in '66 early or late or through the entire run. They lump '66 to '71 in the same diagrams. So that means that for '71 they are wrong also.
Ford made major changes to the entire harness between '70 and '71, yet the diagrams all lump '71 into the same early design.
Pickup trucks too, where the books show the wrong fuse panel. Sometime between '75 and '76 Ford went from the same 5-fuse panel that we have on our Broncos to the larger 10-fuse panel. But they continue to list the 5-fuse panel all the way through '77.
Makes things very confuzzling sometimes until you have time to drill down to find the discrepancies.

As you can see from the original photo there are two large (#12-#10) wires going to the junction block. I just don't know where the other end of that solid black wire goes...
Then most likely we don't either. We can make suggestions, but only you have the vehicle and can physically trace the wires.
You can do this by testing with the ohm-meter or by physically tracing the wire through it's entire run.
Seems to me that the junction block addition might have been due to what Viperwolf said in the other thread, that they were adapting an alternator harness from another vehicle and this terminal block was the simple and quick production line fix for the problem that was not noted by the designers.
Or was a result of the correct Bronco harness not being available when production started, so someone just used what they had and made a workaround for it.
But when I first saw that I figured (perhaps correctly, perhaps not) that one Black w/yellow wire ran from the BAT terminal on the back of the alternator over to the terminal block and the second one was your main charge loop wire that ran up to the firewall.
This makes the most sense to me at least at the moment.

The truck has an ammeter gauge. (Not and idiot light).
Yep, that's at least one thing that has been consistent from the first to the last Bronco built that we know of. Never a light, just the ammeter in every one.

The large Black/Yellow wire to the junction block is one end of the long loop that runs thru the back of the ammeter gauge.
This is perfect. In theory the only two wires to that terminal would be this one from the ammeter and the short one from the BAT terminal of the alt.

The other end of the black/Yellow wire is the large solid Black wire connected behind he Red Positive Battery cable on the starter relay.
This is correct and is how literally everything works on a Bronco.
As mentioned before, when the alternator is not working then everything gets it's power from the battery via this wire.
When the alternator is working and is putting out more than the battery is (12.6v at the battery vs 14.5v from the alternator) the alternator powers everything and charges the battery at the same time, via this wire.

What appears to be missing is the other large wire to the Junction block. I'm guessing that if there was a wire going from the junction block to the BAT terminal on the alternator this would complete the circuit allowing the alternator to charge the battery?? Thanks for the continued help!!! Damn 66's!!
Yep, you got it exactly.
So the question is, where does the current Black wire from the BAT terminal go now?
This is the question about the harness and the main connector it sounds like. As you surmised, the new harness is not the same as your old one. Is the rest of the vehicle harness original, or is it a brand new '66 harness?

So no, it sounds like you do not need two BAT wires. But yes, it sounds like you need two of the Black wires on the terminal block or nothing is going to function regarding the charging of the battery.

Got more pictures? A wider shot at least? We need more pics please.
Show the regulator and it's plug. Show the back of the alternator if you have access to that.

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting that the Bronco in that thread looks to be the same color as this current one under discussion.
What color is that?

Oh, and speaking of similarities, notice that extra hole in both of the Bronco's inner wheel wells, right next to the terminal/junction block? That is the location (at least on other Broncos) for the body ground connection through the main battery ground cable that runs to the engine block.

And speaking of which again... Does yours have a body ground jnirenstein? Or several of them?
Looks like you're trying to go mostly original-ish I presume(?) but by all means add extra grounding points like Ford should have from the factory.
Your Bronco is practically new in some ways, but it's still got 60+ years of rust and paint and old tired metal that gets between the electrons and their path back to the battery.

Paul

OP
OP
jnirenstein

jnirenstein

Interesting that the Bronco in that thread looks to be the same color as this current one under discussion.
What color is that?

Oh, and speaking of similarities, notice that extra hole in both of the Bronco's inner wheel wells, right next to the terminal/junction block? That is the location (at least on other Broncos) for the body ground connection through the main battery ground cable that runs to the engine block.

And speaking of which again... Does yours have a body ground jnirenstein? Or several of them?
Looks like you're trying to go mostly original-ish I presume(?) but by all means add extra grounding points like Ford should have from the factory.
Your Bronco is practically new in some ways, but it's still got 60+ years of rust and paint and old tired metal that gets between the electrons and their path back to the battery.

Paul
Thanks Paul! Firstly my truck is Arcadian Blue with Wimbledon White grill, bumpers and silver interior as it came from the factory. Trying to get it to look like it was delivered in 66. I did replace the 6cyl 3spd with a 66 date code 289 and a true Bronco 73 C4 tranny. The "short" harness I was referring to is in fact the one from the back of the alternator to the 3 wire plug that attaches to the main engine compartment harness. Everything is brand new. The Harness was purchased thru Dennis-Carpenter and made by a company in Bend OR called Bauer Electronics. It is a very "period correct" Ford style harness with a 60's style wrapping and all the correct wire colors. The Alternator harness is a "generic" 66-77 bronco harness with Fld, Grnd, BAT, connections. I have the ground running from the ground stud on the case of the alternator to the engine block and from that connection on the block is also a flat braided ground cable going to the frame. I have an additional flat braided ground cable going from the body to the frame. I do see that it appears that Bronco Graveyard carries what they call a 66 alternator harness and the picture on their website appears to have 1 more wire on it that my harness (or frankly any other harness I've seen) has. The connections at the voltage regulator are just the A,S,F connections as it appears that Bronocs do not use the "I" connector on the regulator. I think Iv'e got that part correct. The struggle I'm having is this "extra" wire on the graveyard harness and/or thru which connection does the 14V output from the alternator get back to the battery? Maybe I'm creating a problem that doesn't exist. As I have not started the truck yet (no exhaust yet) I can't confirm that the alternator is charging. Everything works correctly (all the lights and dash gauges) at this point. Just paranoia on my part because of not understanding why the original set-up had one more wire at the junction block...

Attachments

• 1BD063A7-41C8-41BD-8194-974A0BDFE3DA.jpeg
    1BD063A7-41C8-41BD-8194-974A0BDFE3DA.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 7

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the way I am understanding things from your verbal descriptions, you need one wire from the BAT terminal to the junction block.
Then the second one at the aux/junction/terminal block continues on up to the firewall. No need for two of them on the alternator. Only two of them on the terminal block.
From the block it runs through the firewall and the entire system and back out of the firewall to the battery side of the starter relay/solenoid.
That’s how it charges the battery.

You do not need two wires between the BAT terminal and the junction block terminal.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding the alternator ground, the existing ground wire between the back of the alternator is supposed to run up to the mounting bolt of the voltage regulator as mentioned before.
Nothing wrong with an auxiliary ground to the engine block, but that’s not where Ford put it.
You need a small gauge ground wire between the alternator case and the regulator case.

So all those other grounds are fine, you just need to make sure you have the additional one to the regulator.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA

jnirenstein,​

Can you post a picture of the plug on the short alternator harness, AND the main harness connector it mates with (& showing the wire colors)?

OP
OP
jnirenstein

jnirenstein

jnirenstein,​

Can you post a picture of the plug on the short alternator harness, AND the main harness connector it mates with (& showing the wire colors)?
Thx! I'll be in my shop tomorrow and take some more pictures... The colors from the CJ pony parts alternator harness do NOT match the colors from the main harness side of the 3 wire connector unfortunately complicating the discussion!! My original harness did not have a provision for ( molded plug) a separate alternator harness. The alternator wiring was incorporated (just a branch) in the main Under hood harness.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
My original harness did not have a provision for ( molded plug) a separate alternator harness. The alternator wiring was incorporated (just a branch) in the main Under hood harness.
That may explain the junction block.

The BAT terminal on alternator (BK/YE on stock Bronco) should be the middle terminal on the alternator connector.
The questions, is there a matching wire in the DC main harness connector, what color is it, and where is the other end of this wire?

Is your voltage regulator in the I6 location on drivers side, or did you move it to passenger fender like the V8?

plug.jpg

My alternator harness has a black wire, one end is under mounting bolt for starter relay, other end is bolted to block along with battery negative cable.

EDIT:
Looking at some of the DC alternator harnesses, the BAT term may not be the middle contact on alternator harness.
Which contact is it, and is there a mating wire on the main harness?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the refresher Oldtimer. I still keep forgetting that some regulators were on the other side.
Sounds like your ground wire orientation is the same as jnirenstein’s is.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I haven't had time to look deep into it but here is an alternator harness from an early '66. It has labels at the terminals if you look close. If they're unreadable I can embiggin them.

Attachments

• 66 ALT HARNESS.jpg
    66 ALT HARNESS.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 21

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
One more time. I don't know why it wants to be sideways. 66 ALT HARNESS p1.jpg 66 ALT HARNESS p2.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that stud with the two wires in the lower right of the picture what pulled out of a junction block?