• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For what it's worth, Hagerty thinks values are dropping

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hagerty thinks the red hot pricing may be dropping on early Broncos...but only slightly. They say about 8% less from the crazy high prices of last few years, I guess time will tell. Here's their story -

"1966-1977 Ford Bronco -8%

It’s not a Muscle Car, but we’ve discussed the first generation Ford Bronco for a very long time. Never, though, in terms of softening values. In fact, the first-gen Bronco has been one of the hottest collector vehicles to emerge over the past few years. Values of exceptional, stock examples have regularly tipped the scales at the six-figure mark in 2022.

Broncos have now gotten to a point where the average collector is priced out of the market, and $100,000+ starts to look like a lot of money for a utilitarian vehicle with few amenities. But let’s be honest here, we don’t buy classic trucks for the amenities. In the grand scheme, an 8-percent loss on early Broncos isn’t that much. However, zoom out to the rest of the model series and take note: later generations also experienced declines, with some models even seeing value losses in consecutive quarters. While it takes more than one publication to make a trend, it certainly looks like we could finally be at the end of the first-gen Bronco’s unprecedented hot streak."

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hagerty thinks the red hot pricing may be dropping on early Broncos...but only slightly. They say about 8% less from the crazy high prices of last few years, I guess time will tell. Here's their story -

Time always tells right

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, and I'm not sure they have noticed some recent sales on BAT!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Yeah, there have been some big sales recently. I have noticed that project cars and rough broncos seem to sit online a little longer before being snatched up. It seems like built examples are still selling for good money and may be for some time longer.

I actually got denied hagertys the other day because I have the vehicles registered under my company name, Jesse Williams Photography. I told them I just drive the vehicles to shows and meetings to strike up conversation and promote the business. They said they won't cover it. I find it odd being that I do the exact same things with mine that most "private" owners do.

knack

Contributor
I noticed the Hagerty article too. I was wondering if prices would ever start dropping. My latest Bronco looked like it might threaten my lifelong history of buying high, selling low!

scoutingranch

Here is where I make no friends. The mystic appeal of muscle cars is D.O.A here in SoCal. The percentage of a dying breed of the interested is checking out.
Even if they weren't, the age bracket has increased so much so the focus is on Depends and 55 and over real estate.
Don't get me wrong, I luv me some old stock Broncos but would never pay what the ask/s are now. I've owned them for 50 years.
Anyone that pays huge money for these ill-handlining old things is out of their friggin' minds.
Now, before you hammer down on my head. I've been in the collector car world for 40 years. Worked with high rollers, and sellers out of L.A , San Diego and Orange County.

Our saying about old Broncos, "unsafe at any speed". Oddly, I still like em'

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To me it doesn’t really matter what happens with the value, I drive an EB because I love everything about these aerodynamics-of-a-brick old rigs. Always did, always will. Was tough to watch the values price true enthusiasts (especially those who sold and thought they’d get back in at a later date) out of the chance of enjoying one.

Drove the price of parts stupid high as well. Whether Broncos remain the hot dujour-must-have or the trendy folks move on the the next great thing won’t change what’s parked in my garage.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I don't pay much attention to the high end stuff, I'm always looking at the cheap stuff. I'm in PA and I can tell you around hear the cheaper ones are sitting around a lot longer. There are 3 that are under 10k on marketplace and have been on for weeks. Don't get me wrong, they are really rough, but a year ago every one of them would have been gone in a day or two.

Gsxr7000

Contributor
I think everyone that had a "some what"disposable income to buy whatever they want are just not spending that money now.

mebco09

I don't pay much attention to the high end stuff, I'm always looking at the cheap stuff. I'm in PA and I can tell you around hear the cheaper ones are sitting around a lot longer. There are 3 that are under 10k on marketplace and have been on for weeks. Don't get me wrong, they are really rough, but a year ago every one of them would have been gone in a day or two.
I think you are right. I see the same rusted trucks sitting with big price tags on them. The high end trucks on BAT are going to the crowd that has disposable money from stocks, or real estate refinances or other easy money. It is a bummer that what was a parts truck 5 years ago is a $10-$20k "rebuilder". Not too many people know how much it takes to bring back a basket-case.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Most of the folks that want broncos now only want them because every one else wants them .

There is no other explanation for it .

The vehicle that’s just under the EB in coolness is still dirt cheap , the jeep commando .

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Most of the folks that want broncos now only want them because every one else wants them .

There is no other explanation for it .

The vehicle that’s just under the EB in coolness is still dirt cheap , the jeep commando .
Yep Jeep commando around 1970 a bargain right now it’s the Jeep I would buy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
i see 3 cost categories now.

1. rebuilder
2. diyer rebuild (albeit some really clean broncos in this category)
3. shop restomod/restore (Velocity and the like)

the shop builds have always gone for a premium as far as i can remember and i can understand now with all the work and details that go into making them a 70mph safe bronco. 😆
i'd place myself in category 2. 15ft paint job and overall and nice driver. it drives and tracks straight and virtually no rust. yah there's some "what's that?" home mechanic kinda spots but that's the charm in it.
categories 1 and 2 are where i'm seeing the prices fluctuate the most. i'd say 5-7 years ago you could still find a category 2 for 25k-40k. now i'd probably pay 40-60k? and that 60k is where we start to price a lot of folks out of the market for this kinda project rig, especially considering many new bronco folks aren't familiar with tthe efforts that'll be needed to make their 60k bronco drive like 40k 2019 toyota 4runner. ha!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I am not surprised the prices would come down some. But the inflated prices over the last 5+ years has pushed me out of the market for broncos anyway. Yeah I still have two but I used to love buying them tinkering with them, enjoying and then selling them to make back what I had in them. I never really made much profit just did it for the fun of it. I think I had 6 at one tiem back in the early 2000s. I will always have an EB I very well may sell one of the two I have now while prices are still up just because I dont have the space anymore. But I do think the days of finding the "driver" bronco for 5K is forever gone so my days of tinkering and reselling are over too.