• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best spot for rear view mirror it tall

DC_Gearhead

So I’m to the point that I will be ordering the last few things to “finish” my Bronco and really drive it for the first time. I’m down to seats, wipers, door panels and rear view mirror. It’s been a 5 year long project and I did all the work myself including painting it. The most I have driven it is sitting on a milk crate sliding all over the place in a parking lot.

My question is this: I’ve seen people complain about seeing out of the windshield if they are tall and I’m wondering which mirror would be the best to reduce that problem. The one on the windshield or ones that mount to the roll cage? Seems like if it was on the roll cage it would be better but I don’t know without having my seats installed.

I have a family roll cage with no top and I’m planning on buying the TBP premium seats.

Any advice on rear view mirrors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Mount it to windshield frame. Use the stock mirror and flip the bracket upside down. Drill the set screw to 3/16 or 1/4 and use the left side attachment point of the windshield wiper bracket and a longer bolt. The mirror bracket needs a little bit of trimming to sit flush. Works great. And you can adjust it pretty high.

EDIT: Pic added. Not a good pic but you get the idea!

Attachments

• E9D3F232-BF7B-4EFD-AFE2-2F823EB67565.jpg
    E9D3F232-BF7B-4EFD-AFE2-2F823EB67565.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
mounted on cage here, but yet to test it w/the bumps and rocks and such...

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I put in a Gentex self dimming with temp and compass from a Suburban. Mounted to the top of the glass, and adjusted as high as I can without hitting the wiper linkage. I'm 6'5" and can just see under it. If I adjust it down at all, I'll not see an entire car at a 4way stop to my right.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Stock Farm

Timely post, I just finished this mount to move my mirror off the windshield.

It wasn’t too bad, but I wanted better visibility...every now and then I would have to look around the mirror (especially right turns).

This is much better.

Attachments

• 5E1E0C85-CF7F-431C-A815-9BDD7E4E9E5F.jpg
    5E1E0C85-CF7F-431C-A815-9BDD7E4E9E5F.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 103
  • FAE20C6F-0853-4297-B470-C07C45728766.jpg
    FAE20C6F-0853-4297-B470-C07C45728766.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 06C93440-83B1-4A8A-8F06-0124AE936D71.jpg
    06C93440-83B1-4A8A-8F06-0124AE936D71.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 110
  • FCB94801-6EF0-43F1-ADF1-EEA937A6F87D.jpg
    FCB94801-6EF0-43F1-ADF1-EEA937A6F87D.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 119

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX

It wasn’t too bad, but I wanted better visibility...every now and then I would have to look around the mirror (especially right turns).

This is much better.

I like this idea a lot!!!!

thiswildbronco

This is much better.
This is great!

1. What brand/kind of mirror is this?
2. Does it need to be hooked into power (auto-dimming, I presume?)?
3. The mounting bracket I assume is custom?

Thanks for sharing!!!

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I used a Gentex mirror from a late model Tahoe at the junk yard. Grabbed the temperature sensor too so I have compass and outside temperature as well as the self dimming.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I used a Gentex mirror from a late model Tahoe at the junk yard. Grabbed the temperature sensor too so I have compass and outside temperature as well as the self dimming.

I've done this on multiple vehicles, great upgrade. Really like the temp for icy roads.

Getting a new windshield on a vehicle next week that doesn't have a button, gonna have them add one.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
Thank you!!
Just a couple follow ups:

Does it require power?
Where does the temp sensor mount?
Yes to power. The temp sensor goes in the core support area. Some place to get ambient air, not heated engine compartment or radiator air.

Gentex has different models that have some different requirements for wiring. Nothing big and major. Things like OnStar doesn't need to be wired if you get that type and everything else works perfect. There is a procedure for calibration for the compass that requires you to drive a couple circles. Again not a big deal.

The first couple I did I called Gentex for wiring and they were very helpful. The last time I did they claimed they couldn't give me that information. I went off the previous ones wiring and made a educated guess which worked out just fine. You can look up the wiring diagram for the vehicle it came out of for wiring as well if needed.

Somewhere on here is a thread with the wiring information and Gentex's phone number. Hopefully you can find it before me.

The temp sensor and plug you can buy online and are cheap. I always tried to get them and as much wiring as I could when I picked them.

If you need more info LMK.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
Here you go. Be sure to read all the posts.

Use this link in your Google search and it will open up other options.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
More important than the mirror are your seats! :) Get the wrong seats and you'll nver be able to see out of the windshield because the seats are sitting so tall that any mirror blocks your view. It's gotta be one of the most overlooked interior items done to comfort in a Bronco.

Just a thought.

The mirrors with temp/compass and a light are great.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My mirror story.
Put a cage in and had thoughts of running around without a windshield. Put the mirror on a tab under the cage. Everything looked fine. Time to put the hard top on. That went well. Go for a drive. Oh we have a problem. The mirror was mounted too high. Looking out the back window all I saw was the ground behind me. I expect to see the horizon in my mirror and I couldn't. In the end I cut the tab off the cage and glued a tab on the glass mounted much lower so I could get the view I wanted out the back window.

Things change when you put the hard top on. Oh, check the aim outside. Just because you can aim the mirror at the back window doesn't mean the aim is right past the back window.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
...forgot to add which I thought didn't need to is this- when the seat is mounted higher than stock, then the mirror has to be mounted higher to allow you to be able to see out the rear window. Like previously mentioned, raise the mirror any & all you'll see is the back seat.

Broncobowsher's reply made me think that I better make that more obvious in my earlier post.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
This works well for me.
143f4663af2ec5cc74238ddddc8d27d4.jpg

thiswildbronco