• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Transmission and Transfer case frame measurments

72ES

Need help with measurement between the frame rales on my 72. I swapped an NV3500 in behind my 302 with the stock Dana 20 case and Im looking for good measurments between the frame. Left to right. It seems like its little too far left looking from the front. The adaptor kit came with a cross member from TBP and I had to pull everything over to make it drop on the holes of the cross member.

Thanks

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Keep in mind the engine ,trans ,and transfer aren't centered from the factory.It;s shifted to the passenger side{right side} also keep in mind there are countless threads on conversions where people had to modify the purchased cross member or ditch it and ended fabbing there own,....but sometime loosening the engine mount bolts and shifting the engine helps to get mount bolts to line up ....pictures may help good luck and welcome to CB..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, ceterline of the engine is not centered in the frame. It should look a little shifted to the passenger side.
I once had numbers for centerline of the transfer case output to the inside of each frame rail, but have long lost them. In the end they were only a guide as the engine and transmission dictated there final location more than me trying to force it to some number that didn't really matter.

OP
OP
72ES

72ES

At this point I'm just concerned with the drive shaft angle being off left to right. I know that the cardigan joint will take care of most of that. Should I be concerned the holes are off on the crossmember or just eye ball it and call it good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
U-joints don't know the difference between up and down and left and right. An angle is an angle.

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
I just wrestled with this with my AX15 install. The slotted holes in my crossmember were drilled incorrectly. I had to drill new holes. The instructions said that the center of the D20 output shaft should be approximately 12.5 inches from the driver side frame rail. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
72ES

72ES

I appreciate everyones input. I drilled new wholes in the cross member. Everything lines up as it should now. Im surprised TBP hasn't caught this error.

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
I bought my kit from Wild Horses and when I called them, they didn’t seem too worried about it and told me to drill new holes. Makes me wonder how many people are having the same issue with new crossmembers. Seems like something that should be addressed at the manufacturer. In my case, Advanced Adapters.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I bought my kit from Wild Horses and when I called them, they didn’t seem too worried about it and told me to drill new holes. Makes me wonder how many people are having the same issue with new crossmembers. Seems like something that should be addressed at the manufacturer. In my case, Advanced Adapters.
Everybody has the problem. The only issue is where to fix it. I didn’t want to hack up my new crossmember, so I re-drilled the transmission mount to insulator plate. But the answer to the original question is 1 inch. Crankshaft centerline is 1 inch from chassis centerline. Lots of nice info in the drawings, but this is the one that counts.

Attachments

• A425B3FF-E71B-4C22-ADFD-ECEC47178588.png
    A425B3FF-E71B-4C22-ADFD-ECEC47178588.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 13