• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency Brake Cable Bracket - Front Center Cable

HardyBronco67

Re-installing e-brake cables in '67 bronco. Old e-brake cable bracket is gone. Ordered new one. It mounts to the back side of driver's side floor plan. Don't have access to a welder. Would it work to just drill a second hole in the bracket (5/16"?) and bolt the bracket to the floor plan with a good size fender washer on the interior side of the floor plan? See bracket location on floorpan lower right corner of photo.
6677_park_brake_spring_6.jpg
pbbr1_1.671_1.jpg

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I would imagine that would work. The only downside might be it wanting to rotate around the bolt if it's not tight. I would also imagine that someone or a welding shop would tack that on for you for the cost of a 6 or 12 pack of their favorite beverage.

OP
OP
H

HardyBronco67

I would imagine that would work. The only downside might be it wanting to rotate around the bolt if it's not tight. I would also imagine that someone or a welding shop would tack that on for you for the cost of a 6 or 12 pack of their favorite beverage.
Thanks for the advice. I've got a buddy in town that might do just that!!

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
The design of the original bracket is such garbage. We have always added welded gussets to these when to give the bracket more support. Bolting could be a good idea. Thinking you would make a custom washer for the inside to disperse the load.

Jim

OP
OP
H

HardyBronco67

The design of the original bracket is such garbage. We have always added welded gussets to these when to give the bracket more support. Bolting could be a good idea. Thinking you would make a custom washer for the inside to disperse the load.

Jim
Thanks, Jim! Yes, I was thinking I'd likely fabricate something like a rectangular washer/backing plate - similar to what the e-brake pedal assembly bolts to at the firewall.

OP
OP
H

HardyBronco67

Here's the results of the bolt-up instead of weld-up for the e-brake bracket. Had a spare e-brake backing plate and cut a piece to fit at the front of the driver's side floor pan (next to where the gas tank valve is for those of you with twin tanks. It tucked nicely out of the way in the corner. I used a grade 8 bolt and washer - cut the washer to fit in the channel of the backing plate. On the underside, I used a washer and grade 8 nylon lock nut to secure the bracket in place. So far, it works great - we'll see once I'm back on the road. This was the final stage of a 4 wheel disc brake and vacuum boost conversion.

Inner Floor Pan Bolt for e-brake bracket
Under side with e-brake bracket and assembly
E-brake pedal assembly backing plate used to create backing for e-brake cable bracket

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It's hideous, but so was the patch job on the floor. The owner didn't want to dig back into it, and neither did I. Eventually, I convinced him to get rid of that thing. He never should have bought it, but he didn't actually lay out any cash for the truck. I think he got ~$12K.