• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone make actual lexan type windows for the EB hardtop?

broncobuddha

I would love to ditch the side and liftgate glass for something like lexan. Tinted would be awesome.

The glass is old, can shatter and HEAVY.

Seems like somebody would have had to done something like this even if they had a made custom.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Here's my nickel on Lexan. Don't use Lexan as it scratches so easily you'll hate the look in a short amount of time. It cannot be polished out.

It's tough but looks like crap in a window application in a short amount of time.

I apologize as I didn't answer your original question, just kinda slammed the use of it lol. Most any plastics shop or auto glass business can get it or has it in stock. Even the medium sized (50K pop) town that's relatively close to me has it in stock and will cut it for you.

Last edited:

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Don't use plain Lexan, you want to use "speedgalsss", which is Lexan with a thin coating of glass (there are probably other trade names). I talked with one of my local shops about having some made in the past and they were pretty reasonable; however, probably crazy expensive now... I planned to buy a whole sheet and have them cut it into the individual pieces.
HTH, Joe

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA

something you can do more research on.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I priced Speedglass from the only supplier within 100 miles a few yrs back and about fell over. :(

Supposed to be good stuff tho!

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
So I looked up one of the local suppliers and a 4' x 8' sheet of clear .187" "Abrasion Resistant Polycarbonate" sheeting is $581. That thickness isn't listed on the site as a tinted, but might be available.

The .250 is listed at $660, and $725/726 for a 5109/7130 tinted. Probably could get two, maybe three sets of hardtop side/liftgate "glass".

If you could get three sets, that wouldn't be too bad of a price?? Get some buddies who also want some??
HTH, Joe

Gsxr7000

Contributor
I had some tinted windows in my 74 that bubbled out a little loved them. Not sure who made them. They were in it when I bought it. You can see them in my garage.
If you polished the glass and then tinted them would the look better ?

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Sorry guys, notifications weren't on.

Doesn't have to be lexan per se just proposing to replace my glass with something a helluva lot lighter than glass and preferably stronger that the EB glass.

Sucks about the scratching. I'll check into speed glass.

Someone mentioned plexi, is that approved for automotive?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Plexiglass, Lexan, xxxchoose your brand namexxx, all come in different grades some of it, like what most home stores carry, shatters, it is more like plan untempered glass, it breaks into large shards that can be like a knife. Use the correct poly carbonate, there is some good stuff out there. I don't believe any of it is as long term durable as automotive laminated and/or tempered glass.

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Just really surprised there isn't a market for this in the bronco parts houses.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Just really surprised there isn't a market for this in the bronco parts houses.

Well there is at bronco graveyard but only a windshield is offered ..her's a link to there site and where BG gets it from...