• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLVED - Engine knocking (video inside)

Peachy Bronco

Hi everyone, brand new here. Just bought a ‘72. Wasn’t able to find out a whole lot about it, but it’s in pretty good shape. New 302 engine that ran great right off the bat, but suddenly started making a horrible noise and loses power under heavier acceleration.

Here’s the video HERE. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

1970 Palmer

I’m not quite sure to be honest. Sounds like it’s more up under the hood?
Take a very long screwdriver (or metal pipe/rod) and hold one end against the engine, place the other end against your ear. It's just a stethoscope. Move it around the engine and bell housing and figure out where your noise is coming from first, then you can narrow your search down.

Does it have any oil pressure?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It's LOUD for sure. What Palmer says works great to help track/locate the source.

Sounded like when you stepped on the throttle creating more load on the engine the noise got louder. Is that right???

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peachy Bronco

Peachy Bronco

It's LOUD for sure. What Palmer says works great to help track/locate the source.

Sounded like when you stepped on the throttle creating more load on the engine the noise got louder. Is that right???
Yes, definitely right. At low rpm it’s almost gone, just will occasionally pop/clank. I’ll have to confirm tomorrow, but when I start it up and rev the engine a bit, there’s almost little to no issue. I’ll have to check the revving at a standstill again though to be sure. Hard to stethoscope while driving! 😂

nvrstuk

Contributor
The "lose power" thing is somewhat odd. Means there could be more than just something like a typical rod bearing noise -so hard getting accurate sound via cell phone thru to headphones here at home. Lose a lot in the recording.

So that CLANK is loud. Could be a variety of things but if you aren't trying to purposely grenade the engine then I wouldn't drive it but just try to replicate the noise in the driveway- maybe in gear (easy with an auto) then you can load the engine easier.

OP
OP
Peachy Bronco

Peachy Bronco

The "lose power" thing is somewhat odd. Means there could be more than just something like a typical rod bearing noise -so hard getting accurate sound via cell phone thru to headphones here at home. Lose a lot in the recording.

So that CLANK is loud. Could be a variety of things but if you aren't trying to purposely grenade the engine then I wouldn't drive it but just try to replicate the noise in the driveway- maybe in gear (easy with an auto) then you can load the engine easier.
I agree, it’s loud and concerning. Going to keep it off the road until I figure it out. Thank you.

1970 Palmer

Repeat......does it have any oil pressure? It's really hammering, "don't drive it, or run it very long".

If it has oil pressure, (and is it an automatic transmission?) it could be as simple as a loose or broken converter drive plate.

Maybe check the vibration dampener for a loose outer ring.

It sounds like a rod knock, which gets heavier/louder under load. This would test as low oil pressure. You should always use a real oil pressure gauge when testing, not the OE dash gauge.

You realize that we are just shooting in the dark with guesses. The more back ground information on your engine/transmission might help us help you narrow it down.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Like Palmer said we are just throwing ideas out till we know more about your engine/trans combo.

OP
OP
Peachy Bronco

Peachy Bronco

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'll have to check the oil pressure (or have it checked). As I mentioned, just bought this truck and I'm in the process of figuring out all of the specs and vehicle history:

- 302 engine, fairly new but I don't know when
- 4 speed manual, NP 435 trans
- Brawler 4 barrel carburetor
- MSD electronic ignition

Advance timing was set around 8 deg, I bumped it to 12 deg to test but that didn't help. Video from original post is with 12 deg.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had the starter ring around the flex -plate gear starter ring slightly detach from the flex plate it was for a c4 and more a different sound, but imagine if it was hitting something when speeds increase the sound could be close
good luck

OP
OP
Peachy Bronco

Peachy Bronco

I haven’t been able to obtain an oil pressure tool yet, but my gauge is reading properly and the nylon oil line to the gauge is visually filling up when the engine runs (for whatever that’s worth).

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Kind of sounds like starter gear is hitting the flexplate.

OP
OP
Peachy Bronco

Peachy Bronco

SOLVED! There were a few rockers that were totally backed off and loose. Initially we thought the cam went out, but after adjusting the rockers down properly everything started running great again. Not sure how or why it this happened under the previous ownership, but luckily no damage was done and it was a simple fix.

Probably going to go back in a replace all of the rockers soon. For some reason the previous owner had 3-4 mismatched rockers in there too.

Last edited:

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The adjusting nuts don't like being reused to many times. Sounds like they had problems previously and just put whatever was at hand on.

Odds are high you will be doing this again. Order your new rockers and nuts as planned.