• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Screwed up something with clutch fork on clutch replacement…

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Well, started buttoning everything up after an ax15 swap and new clutch… went to press the clutch and it barely moved like something was seriously off. I thought maybe the throw out bearing got goofed up when I put the trans in. I took the rubber boot off the clutch fork and the bearing looks okay to me. It does look like I missed a tab on the fork, but I can’t tell the if this is causing the issue. I’ve attached a couple pics… kinda feels like I’m hosed and need to pull everything off again.. doh!!

Attachments

• 5F86AFE3-1C6E-4BE3-BC6D-5BBE5A629308.jpeg
    5F86AFE3-1C6E-4BE3-BC6D-5BBE5A629308.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 48
  • 9236CA35-492D-4171-95EB-B145873F1408.jpeg
    9236CA35-492D-4171-95EB-B145873F1408.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 46

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
From pic #2, It looks to me that the spring tab is caught at the pivot. You should be able to pull the fork back out thru the boot hole away from the pilot shaft of the trans, be careful not to fully lose engagement of the release bearing flange. Might not be a big deal if the fork is removed all the way, but then you would need to clock the release bearing plate to the clutch fork tabs somehow (thru the boot hole - Never tried this, but might be doable). Try to pull the fork out about 1/2", then push the release bearing towards the pressure plate, then push the clutch fork towards the trans shaft and align the spring to go thru the square hole in the pivot plate, then pull back into position. I just reassembled my NV3550 which is the same basic configuration you have going. I added a pic of the fork so you can see the issue.

IMG_8232.jpg Good luck

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
From pic #2, It looks to me that the spring tab is caught at the pivot. You should be able to pull the fork back out thru the boot hole away from the pilot shaft of the trans, be careful not to fully lose engagement of the release bearing flange. Might not be a big deal if the fork is removed all the way, but then you would need to clock the release bearing plate to the clutch fork tabs somehow (thru the boot hole - Never tried this, but might be doable). Try to pull the fork out about 1/2", then push the release bearing towards the pressure plate, then push the clutch fork towards the trans shaft and align the spring to go thru the square hole in the pivot plate, then pull back into position. I just reassembled my NV3550 which is the same basic configuration you have going. I added a pic of the fork so you can see the issue.

View attachment 891147 Good luck
Thanks! Figured that might be an issue. I am surprised though that, while not correctly in that tab, the fork/bearing can’t even move the pressure plate at all.

I did attempt to move a little like you suggested, but it wouldn’t budge... fork is completely out now lol. We’ll see how this goes….

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Thanks! Figured that might be an issue. I am surprised though that, while not correctly in that tab, the fork/bearing can’t even move the pressure plate at all.

I did attempt to move a little like you suggested, but it wouldn’t budge... fork is completely out now lol. We’ll see how this goes….
Ended up pulling the transmission... ugh. Oh well, at least I’m getting better at rigging a system as a 1 man show with no transmission jack lol. Fork and bearing all fixed. I put an alignment tool in there and tried pressing the clutch (I’d like to make sure everything is as it should be before I install the transmission again… It’s super stiff. It appears to be operating as it should, just really stiff. Next is investigating why that is..

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Ended up pulling the transmission... ugh. Oh well, at least I’m getting better at rigging a system as a 1 man show with no transmission jack lol. Fork and bearing all fixed. I put an alignment tool in there and tried pressing the clutch (I’d like to make sure everything is as it should be before I install the transmission again… It’s super stiff. It appears to be operating as it should, just really stiff. Next is investigating why that is..
I’m reading that super stiff is not normal. I’m wondering if I did something wrong with my centerforce pressure plate install. I’ve seen some references to dowel pins, my flywheel didn’t have any. The centerforce seemed to line up ok and I used new 3/8th bolts instead of the 5/16 supplied with the kit.

Attachments

• 6F36F30B-E9F6-4F65-BB8F-BDBB94244913.jpeg
    6F36F30B-E9F6-4F65-BB8F-BDBB94244913.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 11

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that this is going to make you feel any better but I was making the same swap on my back in the garage and put it in, took it out three times. My issue was that my clutch was slipping even though everything seemed correct. I gave up here a few weeks ago and took it to at transmission shop. He is just now getting to it and already asking me questions because it's just not the out with the old, in with the new. Good luck. I'll let you know if anything with mine might help with your challenges.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Not that this is going to make you feel any better but I was making the same swap on my back in the garage and put it in, took it out three times. My issue was that my clutch was slipping even though everything seemed correct. I gave up here a few weeks ago and took it to at transmission shop. He is just now getting to it and already asking me questions because it's just not the out with the old, in with the new. Good luck. I'll let you know if anything with mine might help with your challenges.
Yeah, I hear ya. I’ll definitely be curious if the shop gives you an idea of what the problem is.

At this point, I can’t figure out if anything is wrong, all looks good to me. So I’m gonna put the trans back in and see how it feels. This time, I think I’m gonna buy a transmission jack lol.