• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 U14 170 2.8L - Rear End Small Bearing Axle or Large Bearing Axle?

RattleTheGlass

Hello CB,
Hope everyone out there is well.

I'm working on getting some new brake kits for our 1966 half-cab (Aug '65 build), and I'm stuck at whether or not our rear end has a small bearing (2780 lb.) axle w/ 10 x 2.5" drums or a large bearing (3300 lbs.) axle w/ 11 x 1.75" drums.

Anybody know if there is a way to tell without taking a wheel off, pulling the drum, and measuring the depth and the radius?

Thanks,
RTG

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Several ways. You can look for a bulge in the end of the axle tube where the bearing sits. Wild Horses has some pics on their website you can compare that to.

You can look at the axle code on the warranty plate. This assumes everything is still original which it may not be.

You can look for the part number stamped on the backing plate. This might require wire brushing to find it.

OP
OP
RattleTheGlass

RattleTheGlass

I had to put this on the back burner for a while, but I'm trying to get back to it. Thanks for the original reply. Still working on figuring out whether small bearing or large bearing.

I had a look but can't find a number stamped on the backing plate, except for possibly an 11?

I'm hoping that this photo helps.

jLVzRSW.jpg

Thanks,

OP
OP
RattleTheGlass

RattleTheGlass

Thanks, V.

If you wouldn't mind helping me understand the identification better, I've been trying to get it from this link. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/bronco-rear-axle-school/tech_faq

Is this what you're looking at for identification? The axle housing meets the backing plate and doesn't have a size increase, other than a few mm?

"...large bearing axle housing...you can see a noticeable size increase where the axle housing meets the backing plate."

Regards,
RTG

armynavy17

Contributor
That's correct. I'm pretty sure you're tracking, but the circled part is what you're looking at for the small/large bearing identification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-103059.png
    Screenshot_20221109-103059.png
    638.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
RattleTheGlass

RattleTheGlass

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the assistance. Tough to get it right on the first try, even though it may seem more apparent after some help. Ha! And, shipping can be super pricey to return heavy parts.

Getting Raybestos drum brake rebuild kits for front and back.

Regards,
RTG

armynavy17

Contributor
If you don't know the history of the wheel bearings, I'd highly recommend replacing all of them. It's a little bit of project creep, but you're already right there and have to take the hubs apart anyways to do the front brakes.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If the backing plate bolts are 1/2 then its large bearing 3/8 are small bearing.