• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frameless Door windows?

Derelict

Contributor
Loc.
Aurora Oregon
Has anyone already pioneered frameless door windows for use with original U15 hard top?
I will run without a Top much of the year and don't like the looks of the window frames just "sticking up where they don't belong"!!
Getting rid of the window frames beyond the wing windows is no problem but I want to modify the weatherstrip area on the roof to use the overlapping weatherstrip from a hardtop vehicle like Chevelle or Camaro or ?? so the windows still seal up when the top is installed. I thought I would ask here to try to avoid re-inventing the wheel?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Can’t help your original question, but why not just buy some stainless, removable door hinges? Quick and easy to remove for the full open-air experience.

OP
OP
D

Derelict

Contributor
Loc.
Aurora Oregon
Thanks, I have those along with a set off roadster door inserts that slip on the same hinges. Just prefer the full doors. I have a second set of decent doors I may just gut and cut frames off and paint to match. I was hoping someone had already visited this issue with clean and simple solution :)

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That wheel has already been invented.

vtboy51

Yes, my '68 has the removable window frame, vent window and all. Its 4 or 5 bolts and it is out in a couple of minutes. After '68 they started welding them as one.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I help converted a pair 68-77 doors to have removable frames. The vent window stayed. We drilled out the spot welds and modified the frames so we could bolt the frames in. Worked out pretty well. They did take some adjustment to get to seal correctly.

omureebe

I'd love to see frameless doors - is the issue the glass takes up too much room? Would totally clean up the topless appearance...

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I think you guys might be missing the point on what the op is looking to do. He wasn't to re-engineer the hard top so the door glass seals against it, thus eliminating the door window frame for good. Maybe you guys are just yoo young to remember the cars from the 80s that came like that, haha! I love the idea, but think it will be hard to pull off.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Q, I think you might have stated his situation more clearly than the OP did.

PS - you on Medicare yet??? I am!

OP
OP
D

Derelict

Contributor
Loc.
Aurora Oregon
So is the OP (me) on medicare. Perhaps that is the issue :) I have pretty much decided to just paint match my gutted extra doors, Install another set of liftoff hinges and be done with the whole mess. Pretty sure the original doors with frames will seal up better when running the hardtop. And, hey, I'm in Oregon so run the hardtop a minmum of half the year

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
80’s! That was like, yesterday!
Like Jr high and High School :ROFLMAO: I know I'm a young whipper snapper LOL

I do miss my 71 Plymouth Scamp with no window frames on the doors though.....

Like the OP I am building up a set of windowless doors. Decided if I had doors, I would drive it more and drive it further. Really wanting to do more "trailerless" long distance trips like I do with my old school Gladiator. Anyone have an extra set of door hinges and latches they want to part with?

As an added thought for the OP, on my doors I'll be adding a tube to the front and back of the top of the windowless doors so I can add a frame for a Heep style soft window. May never build them but will give me the option to have a window that is easy to install/remove if desired.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Yeller, I've got you covered on the hinges. I'm not sure if I have a good set of latches but will look.