• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New sliding side windows from Tom's

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Mom always said if you can't say something nice just be quiet. So I'll just be quiet.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Looks like it belongs on an RV or a BII? Might look good on a bronco not using rubber seals and just glued in along with the front and rear with the same look...

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Options are cool, I would like to see them on, but I'm glad our very few early Bronco suppliers are thinking of new things.

Derelict

Contributor
Loc.
Aurora Oregon
I agree that the new ones from Toms are pretty ugly and the opening is small compared to the original CRL units. I have spoken with CR Laurance and tried in vain to get them to re-introduce theirs. I've also given up trying to find a used set. So, I am having a prototype set made now for my 66. I have asked for pricing on 20 and 100 sets. Assuming I can have them made and sell them for around what Toms is selling their (ugly) ones for, I'd like to get a feel for the level of interest. I saw that Reamer has been toying with this as well but never saw a quantitative response from the community regarding interest.
I am looking at two different concepts: First is similar to the original CRL units that use the original window gaskets. Second style is slightly larger to match the opening size and would glue in (like a modern windshield) and look a little cleaner. My prototype set is this style. Frame material is black anodized aluminum extrusion and glass will be light grey tint. If I decide to move forward with a large order for stocking / resale they will all be the same. However I would be able to special order in clear anodize or colored powder coating and several options for glass tint including a mirrored reflective coating. Special orders would be lower qty and therefor somewhat higher priced. They will all have screens. Once finished I'll post pics here.
I'd appreciate any constructive comments concerning which style might be preferred, level of interest, and would like to know where Reamer is with his efforts.
Thanks for a great forum

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I agree that the new ones from Toms are pretty ugly and the opening is small compared to the original CRL units. I have spoken with CR Laurance and tried in vain to get them to re-introduce theirs. I've also given up trying to find a used set. So, I am having a prototype set made now for my 66. I have asked for pricing on 20 and 100 sets. Assuming I can have them made and sell them for around what Toms is selling their (ugly) ones for, I'd like to get a feel for the level of interest. I saw that Reamer has been toying with this as well but never saw a quantitative response from the community regarding interest.
I am looking at two different concepts: First is similar to the original CRL units that use the original window gaskets. Second style is slightly larger to match the opening size and would glue in (like a modern windshield) and look a little cleaner. My prototype set is this style. Frame material is black anodized aluminum extrusion and glass will be light grey tint. If I decide to move forward with a large order for stocking / resale they will all be the same. However I would be able to special order in clear anodize or colored powder coating and several options for glass tint including a mirrored reflective coating. Special orders would be lower qty and therefor somewhat higher priced. They will all have screens. Once finished I'll post pics here.
I'd appreciate any constructive comments concerning which style might be preferred, level of interest, and would like to know where Reamer is with his efforts.
Thanks for a great forum
I want a set for my rig. Reamers were nice but the original potential price compared to the actual price was way way to high for my blood. Keep me in the loop please.