• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dropping Oil Pan, Trac Bar Removal

seely

Hi everyone, I did some work a few months ago and dropped the oil pan, but something is not sealing up correctly so I am wanting to do it again, but this time do it right. I couldn’t get the oil pan out, so instead jacked up the frame and lowered the axel so I could get it low enough to reach into and scrape out some debri at the bottom. This time I am wanting to remove the trac bar to see if I can finally wiggle it out (along with jacking up the frame).

I attempted to remove the trac bar before, but could not get it to budge. This time, I am spraying it with PB every day for a few days before I try again, but I had a question about the bolt that holds it in. Does anyone know if the nut on the bolt is welded to the frame, or do I need to use a second socket/wrench on it?

Also, any tips on making sure I do this correctly this time so that there are not major leaks coming out are definitely appreciated!

OP
OP
S

seely

After spraying with PB everyday over the weekend, I still could not get the upper trac bar bolt to budge at all. I used a breaker bar with an extender to clear the wheel, giving me room to push down at the wheel well. Despite getting some good torque, the only thing I was able to accomplish was breaking the head off of my extender from the torque.

I am thinking I will just jack up the frame and work on it even though I can’t get it out. I’d rather not take off the drive train, but does anyone else have any ideas to make sure I get a really good seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

seely

For anyone who might see this in the future, I ended up being able to remove the starter motor and jack up the frame, then I could just barely get it out. Hopefully I can get a good seal this time!

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
For anyone who might see this in the future, I ended up being able to remove the starter motor and jack up the frame, then I could just barely get it out. Hopefully I can get a good seal this time!
For what its worth... Track bar bushings are practically a regular service item on these rigs. You will want to change them sooner or later. Might want to consider spending the time to get the track bar off now (replace the bushings) and make sure you have good odds at a good seal on that pan.... Just .02

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Has the track bar ever been off or is it the original one? If it's never been replaced, it's probably rusted on the bolt. You could use a Sawzall to cut the bolt on the inside of the bracket on both sides of the track bar.

OP
OP
S

seely

I’m not sure, but by the Look of it I’d say it’s the original. I’ll keep that in mind for my short list of projects once I get this finished. Thanks for the help everyone!