• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION

rockinrich

Contributor
Hey guys,if you were going to change from points to electronic ignition,what would you recommend and what's involved in changing over?My motor is stock right now,i'll put a couple pics of my current setup of points and condenser,thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_115345189.jpg
    IMG_20221129_115345189.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20221129_115325079.jpg
    IMG_20221129_115325079.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The simplest, most basic and probably least expensive to start with would be a points conversion kit from companies like Pertronix or the old Accel/Malory stuff if they’re still available.
They replace the points in the existing distributor, and if it ever fails, you can literally swap the points back in to get home.
Very handy if you go off of adventuring.

There will always be the argument for the Ford replacement, which was the Duraspark system.
I have nothing against it and actually use it myself. It’s an excellent system and if you look inside almost any modern electronic distributor from the aftermarket, you’ll see they have all gone to the Ford design internally.
But that’s where the quality and ease of installation ends.
The wiring is not actually that difficult if you’re well-versed in such things. But if you’re a wiring, newbie, or panic at the thought of having to crimp or solder, the Dura spark is literally the last system you would want to install.
Far too many wires.

A popular swap these days is to a retrofitted GM HEI style distributor. You can’t argue with their simplicity and good function, but they are butt ugly under the hood of a Ford, get in the way of far too many things, and you do still have to watch out for Cheap imported built stuff.
A body lift is almost a requirement, or you may have to trim the inner hood brace for clearance. Then, choosing an air cleaner becomes problematic.
Too many negatives for me, but a lot of people swear by them.

There are other options, but that’s a start. See what others have to say.

gick70

I like to stay with the old saying,kiss,keep it simple stupid. I still run points as the other choices like to go bad at times...

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
The simplest, most basic and probably least expensive to start with would be a points conversion kit from companies like Pertronix or the old Accel/Malory stuff if they’re still available.
They replace the points in the existing distributor, and if it ever fails, you can literally swap the points back in to get home.
Very handy if you go off of adventuring.

There will always be the argument for the Ford replacement, which was the Duraspark system.
I have nothing against it and actually use it myself. It’s an excellent system and if you look inside almost any modern electronic distributor from the aftermarket, you’ll see they have all gone to the Ford design internally.
But that’s where the quality and ease of installation ends.
The wiring is not actually that difficult if you’re well-versed in such things. But if you’re a wiring, newbie, or panic at the thought of having to crimp or solder, the Dura spark is literally the last system you would want to install.
Far too many wires.

A popular swap these days is to a retrofitted GM HEI style distributor. You can’t argue with their simplicity and good function, but they are butt ugly under the hood of a Ford, get in the way of far too many things, and you do still have to watch out for Cheap imported built stuff.
A body lift is almost a requirement, or you may have to trim the inner hood brace for clearance. Then, choosing an air cleaner becomes problematic.
Too many negatives for me, but a lot of people swear by them.

There are other options, but that’s a start. See what others have to say.
Thank you paul,you have given me a few options,i'm liking the first one,as far as the second one,it reminds me of trying to install a complete wiring harness lol,wires everywhere huh,the third one i do have a wh 1" body lift but i'd have to look into it a bit more,thank you paul for your insight!

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
I like to stay with the old saying,kiss,keep it simple stupid. I still run points as the other choices like to go bad at times...
I hear ya on simple,do you ever have any issues with points?Thank you for the info.

Sporto

Did you run into any of the issues paul mentioned?Thanks for the help.
There are some great ideas on this thread. My .02 I had the ProComp HEI for Ford and it was easy to install and get running. Problem is, it lasted only a week or two before it just died. Fortunately I was in the driveway when it quit. The biggest drawback to non-OEM stuff is reliability. In the case of the ProComp setup, you can find a genuine Autolite module and plug it into the distributor and go that route instead of using the aftermarket ones. I switched to Duraspark after the HEI failed. It was not that tough to install, lots of diagrams online on how to wire it in. NAPA has the proper pigtail/connectors available too, so that makes it even easier to install. I located a genuine Motorcraft Ignition module and it never let me down. I kept that same rule in place when I switched to Ford EFI and used the Motorcraft TFI distributor. Never had an issue. Good luck with your project!

Rich

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've run all three. WORST choice is the HEI. 99% of them are made with cheap knock off parts and will leave ya stranded. Nothing like being on a fun trip days away from home troubleshooting your almost new HEI. Seen it happen too many times. (Edit: when the dist shaft fails you lose oil pressure and now you've potentially destroyed an engine trying to save a few bucks. This breakage was really common on early knock-off HEI's)

Simplest option? Petronix. They work forever, follows the KISS principal and are cheap. Used many of them.

Duraspark works really good, bunch more wires and you do NOT want to buy any rebuilt or even brand new replacements. ALL you want are blue Motorcraft Duraspark modules. NOTHING else. Done this too many times with too many other buddy's rigs that died when they shouldn't have.

Petronix or Duraspark.

100% agree with Paul again. :)

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
How many hrs/miles can you get on them?

Pretty slick conversion, never seen it done.

We always put Petronix in all the boat distributors. Nothing like filing points out on the salt water in a small boat bouncing up & down on the swells/waves! :(

The marina I worked at for 5 yrs used Petronix.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
There are some great ideas on this thread. My .02 I had the ProComp HEI for Ford and it was easy to install and get running. Problem is, it lasted only a week or two before it just died. Fortunately I was in the driveway when it quit. The biggest drawback to non-OEM stuff is reliability. In the case of the ProComp setup, you can find a genuine Autolite module and plug it into the distributor and go that route instead of using the aftermarket ones. I switched to Duraspark after the HEI failed. It was not that tough to install, lots of diagrams online on how to wire it in. NAPA has the proper pigtail/connectors available too, so that makes it even easier to install. I located a genuine Motorcraft Ignition module and it never let me down. I kept that same rule in place when I switched to Ford EFI and used the Motorcraft TFI distributor. Never had an issue. Good luck with your project!

Rich
thank you sir,i appreciate your input.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
I've run all three. WORST choice is the HEI. 99% of them are made with cheap knock off parts and will leave ya stranded. Nothing like being on a fun trip days away from home troubleshooting your almost new HEI. Seen it happen too many times. (Edit: when the dist shaft fails you lose oil pressure and now you've potentially destroyed an engine trying to save a few bucks. This breakage was really common on early knock-off HEI's)

Simplest option? Petronix. They work forever, follows the KISS principal and are cheap. Used many of them.

Duraspark works really good, bunch more wires and you do NOT want to buy any rebuilt or even brand new replacements. ALL you want are blue Motorcraft Duraspark modules. NOTHING else. Done this too many times with too many other buddy's rigs that died when they shouldn't have.

Petronix or Duraspark.

100% agree with Paul again. :)
some good info,thank you for the help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How many hrs/miles can you get on them?

Pretty slick conversion, never seen it done.

We always put Petronix in all the boat distributors. Nothing like filing points out on the salt water in a small boat bouncing up & down on the swells/waves! :(

The marina I worked at for 5 yrs used Petronix.
No real limit. As far is operation it is the same as the stock TFI which will generally outlast the vehicle. At least the ones I get out of the bone yard I target the original modules as they have shown to last. For the boat I built it with weatherpack connection and can swap back to a condenser and ballast resistor about as fast as I can reach into the engine compartment. The TFI is also pretty much immune to dwell settings on the points. It just doesn't care and works.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Like paul said don't get a cheap hei. The pro comp are the Ones I've heard the most complaints about. I've had the dui hei units in both broncos over 20 years. One of em needed a new module after about 15 years. Cheap easy fix from napa. Otherwise they've been flawless. I've heard of more guys having more module failures with the duraspark. As for the pertronix stuff I avoid it. The 66 came with the points replacement kit. It would crossfire and run like crap in heavy traffic. Replaced it with another pertronix and had the same problem. Went back to points and it was fine. When I swapped a351w into the 66 I went with the hei from dui. It cleans up the wiring and worked so well I put one in my 72. As for hood clearance I had to notch the hood brace with hei on the 351w. I think it will clear with the 1" b/l. Also had a pertronix flamethrower dizzy that came in another vehicle that was crap. Swapped in a stock hei and the truck been fine ever since.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
While I understand the packaging issues with HEI I have run the same one in a square body truck since I bought it in 1980 which I believe was original in 77. I have 3 other square bodies as well. The HEI with good parts, that can be bought are dependable.

Module and rotor are easy to carry as spares if worried.

The TIF module is a good way to go.