• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ax15 swap and short throw shifter

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
Getting ready to install my AX 15 and was wondering how much of a difference the short throw shifter changes things. I have a 3" body lift and will be modifying and adding JbFab twin stick transfer shifters. I plan to raise the piviot point on the twin sticks to compensate for the body lift so I won't have such a big hole to cut in my floor. I was just curious if a short throw shifter for my transmission might be the way to go for the same reason.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Mine's an NV3550, but I don't think there's a lot of difference in the shifters.
I tried the factory NV3550 shifter that was supplied in the Advance Adapter kit, and it shifted ok, but the throw was really long. Like rowing a boat.

Back when I did this, there weren't any aftermarket shifter options made to use the NV3550 in a Bronco. All of them were made for Jeeps and put the shifter too close to the dash.
I bought a B&M shifter for it and cut/welded the lever below thee boot where the weld couldn't be seen.
This shifts a lot shorter, and is more fun to drive. Since the fulcrum point is now longer, the shift gate is now narrower than before. It works great but may take a bit of getting used to.

Attachments

• shifters1.jpg
    shifters1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 115

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I put one in and I love it. Highly recommend it.

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
The short throw tower is much taller so it will probably help lift your pivot point up to the bottom of your tub like you're saying

OP
OP
awest5321

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
Ok thanks for the info. That sounds like it will help my situation. Moving the pivot point up is what I was looking for.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
An AX-15 with a B&M Shifter is a lot of fun to drive. Nice short throws through the gears.

Highly recommended

Just drove my new Bronco with this setup. The B&M seems to be sooo far away, like grabbing the passengers feet. Did you get used to this, or is there a way to get it a bit closer?
10ec263b5191063fe7b916a049fce207.jpg

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I have the same set up. I love how it shifts. But ….I aways felt it seems a bit tall and too far forward. Not enough for me to try to mod it . Drive it you will love it

Hinmaton

If you stick with the stock shift tower, you can flip it 180 degrees to move the lever closer to you.
If this is not enough, you can put the square end in a vise, torch the neck and bend it to suit.
f492b9104af448e31f3658b9b4f937a9.jpg

I have a 3” body lift and I didn’t feel like I needed to raise it at all, seemed perfect to me.
Coming from a NP435, the AX15 stock throw seems tiny.
57b5edb68dd6147ef361109d9bc09d7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
How easily is the shifter removed to be able to put it in a vice? A nice subtle bend back towards the driver seat would be a big improvement.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
That’s it exactly. Push the retainer in and rotate an 1/8 turn and it pops right out v

I think that’s the stock shifter. The b and m short shifter looks like this. Guess I’ll start disassembling and see what’s to be found.

fb13bef56e57115e2a21400a875190c3.jpg

Hinmaton

Yes, that’s exactly right, I was talking about the original shifter.
The B&M makes it tougher to work with in my mind. But if that’s what you have to work with you might be able to heat up the stick shift near the pivot and bend it towards you, but the housing is aluminum and my not like that. You could see if you can disassemble the shifter assembly, bend it, then put it back together.

Hh