• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New upholstery in patina survivor?

Original or new upholstery

• Original

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • New

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Looking for feedback.

I've been offered to make a swap. A company wants to use my Explorer Sport seats as a sample to recreate the fabric. Unfortunately this would mean destroying my existing seat covers.

I'm trying to work a deal for a complete set of new covers to replace the covers I'd send them for samples.

It's not a done deal, and I'm not even sure I should take it if offered.

The truck is somewhat of a unicorn, it is 1 of 141 Candyapple Red 72 Explorer Sports. It is still original paint and mostly original, with a few "period correct" upgrades.

My current plan will be to make rust repairs (floors, cowl, door pillars, and rockers), possibly clear over the patina or just restore original paint as best as possible. I will replace the old Superlift with 3.5" WH lift parts I have. I also have power brakes, disk brakes, and power steering ready as upgrades but will keep all original parts if it needs to be put back to original. Outside of these changes I plan to keep it as is, a patina survivor.

The seat covers are the worst part of the truck. Would new upholstery look wrong in an otherwise unrestored interior?

Should I keep the original seat covers or go with new upholstery if offered?

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
If you want to stay with the original patina look, I would just have your current seats fixed. New covers wouldn't look as good as the fixed originals in my opinion. If those are pics of your current seats, I think they match the vehicle well.

I forgot to mention that this only applies if the seats can be fixed and not need a complete reupholster.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
If you want to stay with the original patina look, I would just have your current seats fixed. New covers wouldn't look as good as the fixed originals in my opinion. If those are pics of your current seats, I think they match the vehicle well.
Yes those are my current seats. If the vinyl wasn't split I wouldn't even consider changing it. Do you think the vinyl could be repaired? If so that would 100% be the best route forward.

Thanks

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Yes those are my current seats. If the vinyl wasn't split I wouldn't even consider changing it. Do you think the vinyl could be repaired? If so that would 100% be the best route forward.

Thanks
I think it is worth a try to repair the vinyl. The place I took my big bronco seats to said they could fix stuff like that, but I choose to have everything redone new. I was changing color so I had to go that route. He showed me some examples of work he did on other seats and I was amazed at the work some of these upholstery shops can do.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
I think it is worth a try to repair the vinyl. The place I took my big bronco seats to said they could fix stuff like that, but I choose to have everything redone new. I was changing color so I had to go that route. He showed me some examples of work he did on other seats and I was amazed at the work some of these upholstery shops can do.
That is great news! I'll have to look for someone to see what they can do.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have no issues with new seat covers, especially if the replacements will be correct, they’ll be good for another 50 years.

PS: for what QUALITY upholstery shops get for their craft, which good ones are worth it, if you can get help with it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
I would get a contractual agreement that by destroying your covers, the company would replace them with identical reproductions.

I just got my seats covered using OEM materials (basically 3 sets of old seat covers turned into 1 set), and thye turned out nice. Just a thought that yours may be able to be saved.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
I would get a contractual agreement that by destroying your covers, the company would replace them with identical reproductions.

I just got my seats covered using OEM materials (basically 3 sets of old seat covers turned into 1 set), and thye turned out nice. Just a thought that yours may be able to be saved.
The only option is to get a full replacement set, otherwise I'll keep what I have. I may keep them and have them repaired regardless. Right now they haven't offered the replacement set. We'll see.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Just as a side note, if this company that you are talking to is going to reproduce the correct Indian Blanket seat covers for a the 72 Explorer Sport, I'd be interested in a set.

hthomas

Contributor
Loc.
flora
If this helps I have an original that is patina. I put new seat covers in it and left everything else except floor pans original

Attachments

• 20200718_165455.jpg
    20200718_165455.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200719_141653.jpg
    20200719_141653.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220330_203303.jpg
    20220330_203303.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220429_143725.jpg
    20220429_143725.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220716_111255.jpg
    20220716_111255.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220730_142533.jpg
    20220730_142533.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 72

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Patina cars look great with spotless interior. I would definitely do the swap. Wouldn't the back seat be enough to pattern from? The fronts look really faded and worn. Backseats usually give the best idea of what they should look like.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Patina cars look great with spotless interior. I would definitely do the swap. Wouldn't the back seat be enough to pattern from? The fronts look really faded and worn. Backseats usually give the best idea of what they should look like.
They only need 12"x12" square for the pattern. I'm sure they can use the rear seat. The fronts are much more faded, the rear seat was removed from the truck for many years. I'm not sure they need the exact colors as much as the exact pattern. I have an SMS sample swatch I've offered to include for exact colors. I've also offered a rear blue Ranger bench to make the houndstooth pattern from (it's in great condition).

A spotless interior is a long way off, I'd only be redoing the seats at least for a while. The door panels, seat belts, etc have 100K miles on them and would need replaced. The floor mat should be a ginger rubber mat that has never been reproduced (the cheesy basement rec room carpet has grown on me and I think it kinda fits with the look of the truck). The dash is cut for a radio. I would rather not repair and repaint the dash, it still has paint inspection stamps in 2 places, that I don't want to loose.

I grew up around show winning concourse restorations of 1st gen GTOs and have a soft spot for original and restored to original cars. I know original or restored original Broncos aren't really the hot item, but with the rarity of the option package, color and still being original paint I do want to keep it as close to original as possible. You know the saying, "It's only original once".

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I have many original Broncos, I often keep the whole seats and redo spares. Nice seat upholstery alone is nice upgrade. Pretty familiar with the rare explorer and one year options. 1974 red woolrich style and blue indian blanket probably my favorites.

Attachments

• 239033_Interior_Web.jpg
    239033_Interior_Web.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 1973-Limestone-Green-Ford-Bronco-Interior-Wide-Angle-Reverse.jpg
    1973-Limestone-Green-Ford-Bronco-Interior-Wide-Angle-Reverse.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201031_163333.jpg
    20201031_163333.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 48

GloNDark

Find a set of seat frames and have those redone. Keep your stock seats.

Or .........just go for it. There was so much redone on my 70 bronco it made sense to just get the seats done as well.

fetch

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Patina is ok

Clear coated shiny patina looks horrible to me
Agree 100%. I did body and paint for 10 years and still am unsure how clear really sticks to oxidized paint or the bare steel where the paint is thin. And then if that clear fails, your original paint is f'd.

I will probably just use a resto process that I've saved using typical paint conditioning glazes and waxes.

I'm really just living by the "It's only original once" mantra, and trying to not get sucked into a multiyear restoration project.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
New upholstery! If this was a 100% stock survivor I would say repair the original seats. Since it's not 100% stock/original the new upholstery with new foam will make it more comfortable to drive. I am doing a 72 patina restomod type build and I'm using new upholstery and keeping most of the rest of the interior in patina. Agree with Yeller, the trade would be good for you and good for the Bronco community.

Attachments

• 1FAC3D66-4480-49F1-AEE8-5670D15C6F3A.jpeg
    1FAC3D66-4480-49F1-AEE8-5670D15C6F3A.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 25
  • AE20658E-96F9-44BA-9CC3-D28F68B6289D.jpeg
    AE20658E-96F9-44BA-9CC3-D28F68B6289D.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 25

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have many original Broncos, I often keep the whole seats and redo spares. Nice seat upholstery alone is nice upgrade. Pretty familiar with the rare explorer and one year options. 1974 red woolrich style and blue indian blanket probably my favorites.
Hyghlndr, can you post a pic of the red woolrich material.
I am getting ready to redo a set of seats and have been looking for color samples of original bronco upholstery ( no luck so far) Looking for a red and black pattern.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Hyghlndr, can you post a pic of the red woolrich material.
I am getting ready to redo a set of seats and have been looking for color samples of original bronco upholstery ( no luck so far) Looking for a red and black pattern.
No one has the fabric now, hoping the facebook company looking to reproduce will do this one too. I can get better pictures if needed.

Attachments

• 1974-Ford-Bronco-Explorer-4-e1565645246779 (1).jpg
    1974-Ford-Bronco-Explorer-4-e1565645246779 (1).jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 36