• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blast cabinet - viewing window replacement?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I just read through the other blast cabinet thread which prompts me to ask this question…

I have a decent sized ALC blast cabinet on which I recently changed the viewing window due it being really hazy/media blasted. I’m running ~80 grit media in it. I replaced the old viewing window with plexiglass from Home Depot and installed new foam perimeter seals. Sadly, the plexiglass isn’t lasting long at all!

Any suggestions on what to use? Real glass? Lexan? Other material? I can’t locate the clear, protective sheets that peel off, so I’m trying to do this again, but have it last for a while this go around.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I replaced the glass on the Snap-On cabinet, Actually there wasn't any glass on it when I acquired it in a trade for some bronco parts, which is probably why I got a steal deal on it. I contacted Snap-On for the replacement glass window and they sent one out to me and yes it was expensive but overall a great deal. You may want to check their parts list or other vendors of cabinets for something that will work with yours as it is a consumable part that often needs replacing..

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I don't know if any of these fit your machine, but these guys sell tempered glass lenses in different sizes on page 1 & rolls of protective film on page 2.

Another thought might be to contact a local glass supplier & get a tempered one made in a custom size, since tempered glass can't be cut once it's been tempered. At least not by normal humans.

Last edited:

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Best cheap idea I heard recently was to cut down old Bronco windshield glass. Other than that I have used a scratch resistance type of lexan from ebay and used the paint protective film as a covering.

Torkman66

Contributor
I use plexiglass from HD or Lowe’s. The protective cover sheets are available, but for some reason they have tripled or more in price. I bought a roll of clear plastic film I cut sheets to approximate size, and just use masking tape to hold them on inside of glass. I replace them as needed. Roll cost less than $20 and I can make about 30 sheets. They do not have to fit perfectly in glass, just the major center. Mine is 20” x 12” glass and the sheets are about 10x 18 give or take.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We tried everything mentioned.... Now we just go to a glass place and order the glass pre-cut and tempered. the tempered glass lasts 10X longer than un-tempered, only about 25% more expensive. The protective cover sheets were not worth the trouble in our application due to the very fine dust produced by the glass beads. static electricity made the dust stick to the sheets immediately.
Our fixed-gun cabinet runs 1-5 hours per day 6 days a week, the last glass went 3 months. Using silica-free, glass Impact beads 60-120 sieve (Potters-Ballotini mil-spec AC).
Technically all blast cabinet glass should be tempered for safety reasons (especially if you are subject to any insurance or OSHA inspections)

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Thanks to all. I’ll talk with a local glass place to see what they can do for me.

Okbroncoman

I’ve also heard of guys putting a peel away plastic over the inside of the glass.
Like they do on helmet face shields, when they get dirty peel them away.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I’ve also heard of guys putting a peel away plastic over the inside of the glass.
I have known of those for a long time. They do tend to have there own issues. Typically dust getting around the edges and filling up between the glass.
Just heard of a trick I have not had a chance to try yet, cover the glass in clear packing tape. When it gets hazy, change the tape.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I do something similar. I put strips of tape on the inside of the glass and peel a strip or 2 off when its so hazed that I can't see... gives me a fresh view.
I wasn't aware of the tempered glass... will have to check that out.

Jaybr

Contributor
I don't know if any of these fit your machine, but these guys sell tempered glass lenses in different sizes on page 1 & rolls of protective film on page 2.

Another thought might be to contact a local glass supplier & get a tempered one made in a custom size, since tempered glass can't be cut once it's been tempered. At least not by normal humans.
That's where my cabinet came from and parts availability was a big plus for me.

Saw a video on Youtube where the guy pics up free old storm windows, cuts down the glass and tapes it on the inside of his plexiglass cabinet window. Cheap easy solution but you loose an inch or two of viewing all the way around the window

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I have a large commercial blaster. It has a fine mesh stainless steel screen on the working side of the glass. Visibility is fine as long as you are looking directly through it

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I saw a Youtube video for the Harbor Freight blast cabinet. Guy suggested taking the measurement for the plastic window to Lowes and having the glass department cut picture frame glass to match. Then installing it under the plastic. The glass is cheap and I can replace it monthly if needed for less than $8. I think I bought a full sheet and had it cut into three pieces.

El Kabong

Contributor
I saw a Youtube video for the Harbor Freight blast cabinet. Guy suggested taking the measurement for the plastic window to Lowes and having the glass department cut picture frame glass to match. Then installing it under the plastic. The glass is cheap and I can replace it monthly if needed for less than $8. I think I bought a full sheet and had it cut into three pieces.
I'm not a fan of non-tempered glass in applications like that. Regular glass breaks into shards, while tempered turns into sharp pebbles. And tempered is more difficult to break.

But, I'm biased against regular glass.
20220819_210005.jpg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm not a fan of non-tempered glass in applications like that. Regular glass breaks into shards, while tempered turns into sharp pebbles. And tempered is more difficult to break.

ARRRRGGGHHHH.....this is why I hate watching movies where someone gets tossed thru a plate glass window and jumps out unscathed.

Soda Lime Float Plate glass breaks in shards, and is NASTY. Windshield glass is laminated float plate which also breaks in shards, but is bonded to a plastic sheet. So the shards are retained. Tempered and Chemically strengthened glass is indeed stronger. But that hasn't stopped your iphone from shattering.

So if you use a window pane in your sandblast cabinet, PLEASE optically bond it to a piece of plastic. @hyghlndr had a great idea. Salvage a piece of laminated windshield glass. It's actually pretty easy to scribe and break, then melt and separate. (when you know how...)

Thanks for the public service announcement / reminder.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force

View attachment 896111
Ouch! I guess I've just been lucky with my application. Been doing it this way for three years without an issue. I see why it could be a bad idea though.

El Kabong

Contributor
Just to be clear, I did that 45 years ago by putting it thru a window. Not a blast cabinet. But I've been on a crusade for tempered (or, as mentioned above, laminated safety) glass ever since. Mirrors can't be tempered without noticeable distortion, so we have those laminated instead.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.

View attachment 896111
My oldest brother has a nasty scar from trying to close a window that broke when he was a teenager. Did some tendon damage.

Great PSA.

Torkman66

Contributor
I have a fairly large blast cabinet (40x30). I buy tempered glass sheets from Amazon and they last a long time

1675399702237.png

You get two deliverd for 40 bucks which is a great deal. If I'm spending severall hours blasting, I put on one of Eastwoods protective sheets but not all the time. They are pricey and the tempered glass holds up very well without scratching.

I also added an additional LED light strip. I just taped some magnets on each end and hung it in the top. The cord runs out through the air opening. Makes it very bright.