• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust routing problems with doubler and rear 4 link and coils. Show me what you came up with. Pros and cons

79INA69

I am going to drop my drivetrain to rebuid and need to come up with a different exhaust set up. Currently running cast manifolds to y pipe into 3" small cat. Then the 3" pipe makes a 90 into a Flow FX muffler mounted transversely above my 205 case output, continues straight out above the drivers side frame rail and into another modified flowmaster mounted below the b pillar foot plate. Exhaust tip exits in front of the drivers rear tire. For one it is too loud and too much drone. Second and biggest problem is I have the exhaust way too close to the floor boards and anywhere the routing is will burn your hand. I have a 1" BL, 23 gal rear tank, rear seat, the rear axle is 14b with a big truss that will not allow any tubing to pass between the inside of the framerail and the axle. I have 8" from the bottom of the frame to the top of the axle without the truss factored in. Rear coils take up that space too. I also have tube style rock sliders with 4 bars connecting instead of the 2x6 welded to the rocker style. (less space) So I plan on changing the y pipe to hang lower, lower the cat and possibly install a 16" one in its place. Then I might be able to tuck some of those same side in and out mufflers under the b pillar area outside the frame rail and do dual side exit. The only other traditional place is in the small pocket between the passenger side frame rail and the passenger upper link bracket. But I can't think of a way to route a same side in and out muffler there. Biggest priority is getting away from the floor and lowering the heat level, second is noise. Please let me see some solutions you guys have come up with.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I got a bunch of pics in my links below on my signature.
Taz's firebronco. If you can see them. 2 into 1 exhaust through the links.
Tight but we made it work.

OP
OP

79INA69

Maybe some pics of outside the framerail installs. If I have to run dual side exit in front of the rear tires, does anyone have thoughts on inside vs outside the frame. Noise levels, heat levels.

OP
OP

79INA69

I got a bunch of pics in my links below on my signature.
Taz's firebronco. If you can see them. 2 into 1 exhaust through the links.
Tight but we made it work.
You have a large gallery of pics...I found some pics of a JD rear 4 link and it is very roomy compared to my set up. Higher ride height, smaller axle and much smaller truss. I have seen this routing before and it's a no go on mine. Side exit or outside the frame I guess. Also rock crawling, so if it hangs down too far, might need a skid

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I ran a 418/4r70/KluneV/Atlas with 4 link, HP D60 frt and 14 bolt rear but not coils- I run ORI's. I also run rock skis that are tied into my frame rails. I lowered my floors , moved body mounts so I could run larger mufflers as my DynoFlos and later Magnaflows were too DANG loud even run all the way out the back! My wife and I chat alot when driving w/o doors or anthing blocking noise from the rear in my half cab. Hence the importance to me.

I hadn't seen this before but I ran my exhaust outside the frame rails to keep heat away from my trans and for space around my trans/tcase/doubler/linkage etc. Had to do some major header work but it is so worth it. Also, I made alum heat shield from the top of the heads on the firewall down to the back of the tcase.

Night & day...

It's in my build thread.

OP
OP

79INA69

I ran a 418/4r70/KluneV/Atlas with 4 link, HP D60 frt and 14 bolt rear but not coils- I run ORI's. I also run rock skis that are tied into my frame rails. I lowered my floors , moved body mounts so I could run larger mufflers as my DynoFlos and later Magnaflows were too DANG loud even run all the way out the back! My wife and I chat alot when driving w/o doors or anthing blocking noise from the rear in my half cab. Hence the importance to me.

I hadn't seen this before but I ran my exhaust outside the frame rails to keep heat away from my trans and for space around my trans/tcase/doubler/linkage etc. Had to do some major header work but it is so worth it. Also, I made alum heat shield from the top of the heads on the firewall down to the back of the tcase.

Night & day...

It's in my build thread.
I will look back at how you did it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
PM me for a couple recent pics if you'd like. Currently the headers aren't in place but...