• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3-link D60 full width front axle question.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
For those that did this.
What is the ideal location to mount the links on frame rail?
Outside of frame or below?
also what spread spacing should I go with on the links mounts on the D60 housing? Straight links will be used.

I'll fabricate what I need to do..
I want to keep turning radius that I have with Duffs long arm and 37" tires.

Thanks..
mad

cleanportland

Loc.
Sherwood, OR
Mad, i mounted the frame side under the frame and inboard slightly and went wide and slightly under the axle center. I made them as long as i could without my tires getting in to them at full turn each way. Upper mount is inside the frame. Upper axle mount as high as possible without hitting anything. Is used 2.25 in solid 7075 aluminum lower links and 2" .25 wall bent upper link from ruffstuff.

I Can't find any better pics of the finished setup. Seems to work well, only had one trip to KOH tho. Currently adding a rear sway bar as the 4-link rear 3-link front made body roll pretty bad.
aefb3911dbc5b1e7c2399de97927a369.jpg
1022404d610f7a84da809092a5e49bfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The ones I’ve done have been to the bottom of the frame with the lower tucked out just past the frame. It is full width? If it is you can get way with the upper on the outside of the frame, it’s high enough to not rub. If standard width it I’ll have to go inside the frame, it’s doable but it gets crazy tight and will probably require a bent link to clear everything. As for length of the upper vs the lower it really depends on packaging. You can use it’s placement to rotate the pinion down to clear obstructions, I did this to clear the starter with the driveshaft. I try to be more aggressive with anti dive to keep the front from nosediving when you slam on the brakes, keeps I fit from upsetting the suspension so much, it feels better and evasive maneuvers are more stable if they become needed. Give me a call or text and we can discuss at length.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
The ones I’ve done have been to the bottom of the frame with the lower tucked out just past the frame. It is full width? If it is you can get way with the upper on the outside of the frame, it’s high enough to not rub. If standard width it I’ll have to go inside the frame, it’s doable but it gets crazy tight and will probably require a bent link to clear everything. As for length of the upper vs the lower it really depends on packaging. You can use it’s placement to rotate the pinion down to clear obstructions, I did this to clear the starter with the driveshaft. I try to be more aggressive with anti dive to keep the front from nosediving when you slam on the brakes, keeps I fit from upsetting the suspension so much, it feels better and evasive maneuvers are more stable if they become needed. Give me a call or text and we can discuss at length.

Thanks Steve.
It is a FW HP d60 from a '92 F350
Planning stages for now. I'll be calling when the mock-up starts..

meanjean73

Loc.
Oregon
Mad, i mounted the frame side under the frame and inboard slightly and went wide and slightly under the axle center. I made them as long as i could without my tires getting in to them at full turn each way. Upper mount is inside the frame. Upper axle mount as high as possible without hitting anything. Is used 2.25 in solid 7075 aluminum lower links and 2" .25 wall bent upper link from ruffstuff.

I Can't find any better pics of the finished setup. Seems to work well, only had one trip to KOH tho. Currently adding a rear sway bar as the 4-link rear 3-link front made body roll pretty bad.
aefb3911dbc5b1e7c2399de97927a369.jpg
1022404d610f7a84da809092a5e49bfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
What are your wheel specs? Doing the same on my Bronco with superduty axles and don’t know what wheels to get? I have ordered some 17x9 with 4.5”back space and -12mm offset.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
What are your wheel specs? Doing the same on my Bronco with superduty axles and don’t know what wheels to get? I have ordered some 17x9 with 4.5”back space and -12mm offset.
I believe I got 5" backspace on 17x9 Racelines