• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advise on floor Hurst 3-speed shift boot cover

jake2077

Hey, guys. I have the shift linkage and related things settled for the Hurst shifter and it drives fine. I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with a decent cover and boot to clean this up and keep out the heat/air/etc.. I purchased the metal box type fitting from Toms Offroad but due to shotty body work it does not line up even remotely to make it worth the effort. Looking for suggestions or other solutions others may have done in this case. Thanks!

m6sPfpN.jpg

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Hey, guys. I have the shift linkage and related things settled for the Hurst shifter and it drives fine. I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with a decent cover and boot to clean this up and keep out the heat/air/etc.. I purchased the metal box type fitting from Toms Offroad but due to shotty body work it does not line up even remotely to make it worth the effort. Looking for suggestions or other solutions others may have done in this case. Thanks!

m6sPfpN.jpg
It's kind of hard to tell from the one picture why the tunnel cover supplied doesn't match up to your floor in that area, but do you think you could make the metal tunnel cover work by bending and trimming? If not, you could always try making your own from scratch using sheet metal and cutting and bending it to match the contour of the floor. Most of the other suppliers offer the cover in fiberglass, but metal one from Tom's might be the easiest to work with.

GloNDark

I had to bend and trim mine ALOT to fit properly with the floor. It's still not perfect but it's close enough to drive and get the rest of the bugs out.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

OP
OP
jake2077

jake2077

I had to bend and trim mine ALOT to fit properly with the floor. It's still not perfect but it's close enough to drive and get the rest of the bugs out.
GetAttachmentThumbnail
I had tried to see if bending would work but the hole in precut Tom's Offroad would have to be opened even more.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to have the 3-speed on the floor. It had the fiberglass cover and a Hurst boot. The boot was pretty stiff (thick and old) and had compacted as flat as possible. This caused the boot to tear so the shifter itself would extend past the opening in R & 2. Not a huge deal, but looked rough and allowed cold and dirty air in during those times.

Now that I have more tools and funds, I would install nutserts in the floorboards to anchor the cover down with regardless whether it was fiberglass or metal so it would make securing it easy and have a tight fastener.

Good luck on getting something to fit.

fluffybunny

Contributor
I made mine by making a template from 24 can drink packages and then traced them on sheets of metal from Home Depot. Luckily my next door neighbor had a small brake so I was able to get some straight bends on a couple of the pieces. Then I tacked it and sprayed bedliner on it. Total cost was about $40, excluding the bedliner material I already had. 20220530_143142.jpg 20220601_180811.jpg 20220605_132016.jpg

OP
OP
jake2077

jake2077

Made my own shifter covers
738ab416b6e16f6465fbaeafd5d6c694.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Nice! I have a neighbor who does his own metal work and has a CnC machine. Think we're going to try and fashion up a frame then 'create' a leather boot for each. Will post pictures when done hopefully soon! Thanks everyone for the ideas!