• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Within .0005" is all I could tell for being out of round.

Super short skirts on strokers don't help piston slap. Here's a pic of one of my pistons. I've spec'd Mahle Grafel coated pistons for years. Really help wirh scuffing since the shorter the skirt the more side load and usually some scuffing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-071545_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-071545_Gallery.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Looks cool, like the power. :)
Need a new Ford wiring harness & controller integrated and probably 10r comes with it (like they pkg the Godzilla now) and will driveshafts have clearance issues with the rear of the case as I have appr.1/8" clearance now btw shaft and trans so I'd have to measure my 6r and 10r that I have now. Is the 10r longer??? Ton of redsign and shaft angle issues. If it's an inch longer I'll have to limit travel.

Q2 of 2023 means I'd miss Sand Hollow 1st week of March (that's 2weeks plus for us), Moab (another 2 weeks plus), spring snow bashing Feb-May, Blewett Pass on Memorial Day, probably even the RdUp (10 days usually) in August since it takes a bit to install & tune, etc...

Be really hard to miss all those already scheduled trips and more in between & those are just the scheduled ones. :)

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Engine Power built a Godzilla with a supercharger that hit 1000 hp. It was around 20 psi and running on mixed gas. At 16 psi and pump gas I believe it was in the upper 800’s. Can’t find it on their website though!

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
They respond well to a blower for sure

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well after 6 yrs of a temporary mount for my 6r I have moved it to a "permanent" (nothing I have is permanent) location.

I have modified my prehistoric Tuffy console. #1 reason is to pad it so my wife's forearm and hand aren't black and blue when we go wheeling for a day. Too many sharp 90 degree corners.

I have shortened it by cutting off the stereo mount section in the front and I chopped the top 2" since I lowered the floors 6 yrs ago by 2". The top is one height now and will be completely padded. I also changed the angle of the front slope panel and removed the cheap looking cup holder hanging off the front.

My Winters shifter for the 6r will once again be haning off the console but this mount won't look like a HS autoshop student did the work. :) It will be mounted app 5" up off the floor btw the seats and the cable assbly will exit thru the inside of my console as I don't have enough clearance to direct the cable straight down thru the floor as it would hit my Atlas.

Anyway, I"ll post up some pics when it's done. Here's a couple of ROUGH ones... lol

Planning on

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here's a few pics as I'm modifying it.

The cable will be parallel to the floor and I posted a couple pics looking at how I might take the cable thru the floor w/o cutting a 5" long slot in the hole for the cable to go through.

Attachments

• 20230103_160957.jpg
    20230103_160957.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221229_134544.jpg
    20221229_134544.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221229_123053.jpg
    20221229_123053.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221229_123046.jpg
    20221229_123046.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221221_202252.jpg
    20221221_202252.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221221_202256.jpg
    20221221_202256.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221221_202307.jpg
    20221221_202307.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
More pics to actually show it tomorrow

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Pics below just for fun since I'm still not running. Worst part is missing snow bashing season!!! :(

Still waiting on Ford Performance. They called the 2nd week of November (after I continue to send PC emails) and said the Mahle pistons and Scat forged rods were all within spec. I told them this several times, sent over 30 pictures and sent them every piston's dimensions. I understand they want to see them for themselves, makes total sense. Issue here is the fact that FORD didn't finish hone the bores to Mahle piston specs and over honed the cylinders.

On the one and only phone call with this dept I suggested that Ford's "Engine Engineers" (their title) look at the block. So they sent a truck and they should have it by now but haven't acknowledged that. When I called Mahle back in Sept and gave him the bore specs Ford uses on this engine with Mahle pistons.... the Mahle engineer I talked to told me... "well, there's your piston slap noise". Just sharing the facts.

Long and drawn out. I know a guy who deals with several large custom shops in the off road industry and they are not installing any Z460's until this problem is remedied. I could have had custom pistons made by now to my specs back in Sept so I could use the block and been on my way (done this before) so I hope we can find a workable solution since all I have at my house are the heads. I am getting tired of waiting and accountability I feel is extremely important. Once again, not bashing just sharing the facts with the one or two that are still following. LS anyone??? :)

So this is why I have stopped building Shorty and doing a few things to this one- which I should have started back in October.

3rd pic below is my buddy Matt getting strapped. Just a bikini top for me on the 3rd pic.- all I had for 12 yrs straight. We used to have scrape the blowing frozen snow off the inside of the windshield all the time!! :) love it lol

Have a great 2023 all.

Attachments

• Snowbash1.jpg Bfix.jpg
    Snowbash1.jpg Bfix.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
They respond well to a blower for sure
LOL…. Ironic that you would say that. Pat and Frankie were talking about that on the show and Pat said “any engine responds well to boost”. :) I suppose that‘s somewhat true providing you have a sound engine. I am aware,that cam specs are different for boost and a radical n/a cam will hinder a boosted engine.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
LS anyone??? :)
Well I know a dealership here in NE that handled Chevy crate engines and performance parts. Somewhere along the line they added a Ford dealership in a nearby town. So much of that these days. Maybe you could work out a trade with someone like that! ;)

Be nice if they’d ship it back to you with the right pistons in it but no idea what the chances of that are.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well I know a dealership here in NE that handled Chevy crate engines and performance parts. Somewhere along the line they added a Ford dealership in a nearby town. So much of that these days. Maybe you could work out a trade with someone like that! ;)

Be nice if they’d ship it back to you with the right pistons in it but no idea what the chances of that are.
I know right???? Can I dream a little? lol

The new Megazilla has some exotic materials that allow BOOOOOOST :) and reduces timing/detonation issues. My Z460 has a very strong bottom end but the pistons are NA pistons however Mahle does make blower/nitrous friendly pistons for this block but they are spec'd for the finish hone #'s that Ford Performance incorrectly finished for the "other" pistons. Oh well... :) I just want it running!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hahahahahahaha... dang you guys are sooooooo helpful !! :)

I could be be up and running already with a blower and 600rwhp for le$$. (and no adapter) lol

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I keep getting told I choose the belly button route, but everytime I read a story like this I just sit quietly and read, mostly 😂 unless we can have some mutual laughs.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I keep getting told I choose the belly button route, but everytime I read a story like this I just sit quietly and read, mostly 😂 unless we can have some mutual laughs.
If I couldn't take it I wouldn't dole it "it" out so freely!!! Keep bringing it. :)

marjama

Contributor
Still waiting on Ford Performance. They called the 2nd week of November (after I continue to send PC emails) and said the Mahle pistons and Scat forged rods were all within spec. I told them this several times, sent over 30 pictures and sent them every piston's dimensions. I understand they want to see them for themselves, makes total sense. Issue here is the fact that FORD didn't finish hone the bores to Mahle piston specs and over honed the cylinders.

On the one and only phone call with this dept I suggested that Ford's "Engine Engineers" (their title) look at the block. So they sent a truck and they should have it by now but haven't acknowledged that. When I called Mahle back in Sept and gave him the bore specs Ford uses on this engine with Mahle pistons.... the Mahle engineer I talked to told me... "well, there's your piston slap noise". Just sharing the facts.

Long and drawn out. I know a guy who deals with several large custom shops in the off road industry and they are not installing any Z460's until this problem is remedied. I could have had custom pistons made by now to my specs back in Sept so I could use the block and been on my way (done this before) so I hope we can find a workable solution since all I have at my house are the heads. I am getting tired of waiting and accountability I feel is extremely important. Once again, not bashing just sharing the facts with the one or two that are still following. LS anyone???

Sorry to hear about your engine issues Brian! I've always heard that Ford outsources the crate engines to different shops, and it's interesting that they'd just blindly build to Ford's specs. I tore down the Boss 363 short block that I bough to measure everything, and was concerned I'd find the same issues. Ford couldn't (wouldn't?) tell me the piston spec or material prior to the teardown, and I can tell you that the spec they list for piston clearance on the 363's has the same issue - when I pulled it apart it's a 4032 piston, but their spec looks correct for 2618. I suspect yours has the same issues. Fortunately whoever built mine for Ford seems to have figured it out. (I bought the FMS Boss 363 prior to really knowing a lot of the potential shortcomings with it...tons of people online and my local engine builder hate it. I'm gonna run it regardless, but in hindsight I'd probably go to Fordstrokers.com and have Woody build me a 363 using a Dart block instead if I were to do it again. FMS seems to be hit or miss...)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
You are 100% correct Marcus. The block was bored almost perfectly for the 2618 alloy piston which is similar clearance specs for all the forged pistons I used back in the day but NOT for the pistons they usek/advertise in the Z460 block .

.006" was the "go to" forged piston clearance #'s back in the day and that happens to be almost exactly what Mahle recommends for the "other" piston that is NOT used in my engine. but in the same block for nitrous and blower engine configurations. Like you said- Ford slapped either the wrong pistons in OR just finish hones the cylinders as a "one size fits all" (unbelievable- almost). I can't believe Ford is still doing this... :(

If I had the time I would have had Jim build me another block like I had him do for my 418 years ago (I did the specs and assembly). He does great work (Ford Strokers) and I'd reocmmend him to anyone. I didn't have the 6 months wait time for another block from him or I'm sure I wouldn't be stuck in this situation I'm in now. I have been dealing with this for 4 months now.. Sent them another email last night.... Ford doesn't give out phone numbers.

Talked with Mahle again last week and they said the same thing when discussing finish hone clearances as the last time I spoke with them in early October... "there's your piston slap".

Thanks for sharing your info.... makes me feel like I'm not the only guy who experienced this. What are they thinking by not following the piston manufacturers recommendations????

So are you saying your engine builder figured out the finish hone clearance was incorrect and put in custom pistons to make up for the extra .003" that Ford spec's
OR what exactly did they do? thanks

I have two viable options:

1- custom pistons appr. .003" larger dia

2- sleeve all 8 holes in the Ford Racing block and buy new Mahle pistons and finish hone it to the dia Ford SHOULD have done it the first time- just follow the piston manufacturers specifications.

Last edited: