• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First Bronco Arrived Today!

NJBronk

Contributor
So I've been searching for almost 9 months and, after a couple margaritas on vacation, won an auction that I didn't really expect to... But overall I'm pleased with my first early bronco and think I did alright.
From my limited knowledge it seems like a solid truck with a few quirks and kinks to work out, including the ugly wheels and steps that will be the first thing to go! I'm sure I'll be reading and posting quite a bit on the tech forums. I haven't come up with a name for her yet, but here she is:

IMG_8150.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
Congrats! What are the specs?
1974, 302, 3 speed column shift. it was definitely lifted at one point - fenders are cut pretty aggressively, but it sits on new stock-height suspension and I like it that way. Some 32's or 33's on proper wheels will fill in the wells nicely.

I've only had it for a few hours and the list of to-do's has already grown considerably. Hoping to keep it on the road to enjoy with my two young boys and take care of things and make upgrades along the way.

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
Congrats! Those side steps are not the most attractive but they sure help people get in and out esp when its sitting a little higher!

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
Welcome. What's on your hit list?
Where to start….

I need to sort out the leaking trans seal and the rear end pinion seal looks suspect. The EVAP charcoal canister hose is cut, I’m going to attach that to the aftermarket air cleaner for now but hopefully do the later model conversion to get the overflow tank out of the passenger compartment. I also popped out of 2H once so want to figure that out (may have been user error).

I plan to move the shifter to the floor and add twin sticks for the transfer case.

I want to install a family style roll cage, seats with headrests, and three point seatbelts for safety.

Probably a full soft top but maybe a mesh bimini for now.

Cosmetically I want to tone down the orange a bit with black accents; definitely the wheels, probably bumpers, and maybe badges and trim.

That’s all on top of replacing fluids, tune up, etc. I’m sure I’m missing something as well…

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks good in the photo. Add new wiper arms to your list of things to do. They need to be angled and not sit above the windshield gasket as shown. Check out the Cherokee Wiper modification for a great and easy (and cheap!) upgrade. You may get some pushback on moving the column shift to the floor, but don't listen! LOL! It will make the Bronco much more fun to drive. Twin sticks are a good upgrade too. Also don't get discouraged when little things start popping up. It takes a while of driving to find and fix them all! Once you get it dialed in it will be a great and fun vehicle for you and your sons.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Cosmetically I want to tone down the orange a bit with black accents; definitely the wheels, probably bumpers, and maybe badges and trim.
There's no toning down that Orange, embrace it! I would be careful adding black accents.

Last edited:

sk1nw4lk3r

BEAUTY!! Congratulations!

Hope you're an extrovert, you won't be able to leave a gas station without people wanting to ask about it!

Dne007

Contributor
Looks really nice~ just curious to the wiper blades up on the paint above the rubber seal? But super nice!
dne'

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, two reasons i can think of.
Some people just like them parked that way for a clean look, and live in a dry climate where they don't get used often.
As often as not though, they just didn't know how to install them correctly and thought that looked as good a position as any.

I like the painted flares and agree that the right tire/wheel combo would look good even with the stock height. If you ever do lift it, keep it to a minimum such as 1 to 2.5 inches or so and it will still look great and not be too hard to get into and out of.
But at 2.5" of lift it's getting borderline less fun to get in and out of for many.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
Thanks, Everyone.

It's been an eventful second day... Got stuck in third gear; I was able to limp home and and thanks to searching the forums I used some penetrating oil and WD-40 on the linkages to get moving again. My fuel gauge isn't working and I think it's the selector switch, so I have a new one on the way and soaked the retaining nut in penetrating oil, but I think it's going to get cut off... Oh, and I took the interior door panels off to clean and lubricate the mechanism - I can actually open the doors using just one thumb now!

The fun begins!

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
There's no toning down that Orange, embrace it! I would be careful adding black accents.
My plan is to go one thing at a time, starting with wheels, and see how I like it. The color is growing on me.

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
BEAUTY!! Congratulations!

Hope you're an extrovert, you won't be able to leave a gas station without people wanting to ask about it!
So literally within the first five minutes I had people stop and ask questions - a couple town maintenance guys were driving by and stopped to watch it get unloaded from the trailer and ask about it, then a neighbor about 100 feet into the first drive. Then two more when I was on the side of the road today stuck in 3rd gear... I'm not really an extrovert, but will have to get used to it!

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I've been searching for almost 9 months and, after a couple margaritas on vacation, won an auction that I didn't really expect to... But overall I'm pleased with my first early bronco and think I did alright.
From my limited knowledge it seems like a solid truck with a few quirks and kinks to work out, including the ugly wheels and steps that will be the first thing to go! I'm sure I'll be reading and posting quite a bit on the tech forums. I haven't come up with a name for her yet, but here she is:

View attachment 894845
Awesome. Shoot some pics of the interior and engine compartment. You will find the knowledge of "how too's" on this site never ends.

And yeah, change those wheels.