• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Titled Frame, but can't seem to transfer the title...

ColoradoBronc

Well, here we go. Really hoping someone might have some insight here.

I have a complete, gorgeous frame from a '72 Bronco, that came with a Colorado title. I don't have room for it, so I put it up for sale as such - titled frame. Great! The problem?

The title I have (that matches the frame) was signed over by the previous owner (~21 years ago), but it was signed including the previous owner's middle initial, AND he added ‘JR’ to the end of his name. Thus, the name on the back doesn’t match the name on the front. Heck, maybe it was JR that signed it and not the actual owner, the SR. And...the tag agency won’t accept it without a ‘proof of one in the same’ statement, showing that FIRST NAME, MIDDLE INITIAL, LAST NAME, JR on the back is the same as FIRST NAME LAST NAME on the front. And...FIRST NAME LAST NAME, unfortunately, looks to have passed away two years ago. I don't know them or their family at all.

I don't have room for a spare frame where I live, and ideally need to sell this guy in short order. But I can't without the transferrable title.

Anyone have any ideas or workarounds by chance? Or want to buy....pseudo-titled, fantastic frame?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No idea at all unfortunately. But wish you the best of luck!
And especially with motor vehicle titling and stuff, the best of speed as well!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m a little surprised nobody else has chimed in yet.
We’ve had several really good in-depth discussions about titling quirks. But usually it involves titles that don’t match VIN’s or a body and a frame that don’t match, or when a frame turned out to be stolen.
Not so much with the history like yours, which sounds pretty straightforward up front, until you get to talk to the motor vehicle department!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, this sounds exactly like the perfect scenario where you would get in touch with a titling company, or a DMV service company that deals with these kinds of things every day.
You might start a search for someone in your area that does that kind of stuff. Not sure what they are called, but I’m sure someone here will.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
You might try getting in touch with those family members & see if they'd sign a paper stating that the names are "one & the same".

I don't know anything about how Colorado DMV handles stuff, but here the important thing seems to be to have some kind of paper to put in the file.

Our DMV won't tell us about it, but if we ask, they have a form called the "statement of facts". It's used when it's impossible to complete the paper trail. Basically you write out the details of the situation, then sign under penalty of perjury that it's true. I wonder if Colorado might have something similar.

My dad would describe filling out the statement of facts like this: Oh high & mighty DMV, I am unworthy due to the fact that the previous owner really fouled up this paperwork. Please forgive me in this situation & grant me a title for this old piece of junk that no one wants anyway. 😁

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Some times a copy of the original owners death certificate is needed. At least in Missouri that is what I needed when the living spouse had to sign the title (on a truck I bought) for her late husband.

Good luck with it.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I would go to another DMV office. If that doesnt work, I would go to another DMV office until it works.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
There is no Colorado DMV. It's all handled by the counties. You need to register your vehicle in the county you live in. My county, Huerfano County, is small and very rural. It has 1 office at the County Courthouse. They are actually pretty reasonable.

Driver licenses, on the other hand, are handled by the State at different offices around the State.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Scoop, BGBronco, DirtDonk, El Kabong and FordBronc, thanks for the replies. I'm going to start with BGBronco's strategy first...and cross my fingers. Wish me luck - hitting one today on the way back from loading up the frame. Just in case, I'm going to stop and get a VIN verification on the frame in case I need to do a bonded title. Will see...and I'll update ya'll as well. Thanks everyone for your input... here goes nothing!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I 2nd going to another office. You prob got someone who had a bad day. That doesn't seem right at all.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Actually, this sounds exactly like the perfect scenario where you would get in touch with a titling company, or a DMV service company that deals with these kinds of things every day.
You might start a search for someone in your area that does that kind of stuff. Not sure what they are called, but I’m sure someone here will.

Definitely wouldn't hurt..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
There is no Colorado DMV. It's all handled by the counties. You need to register your vehicle in the county you live in. My county, Huerfano County, is small and very rural. It has 1 office at the County Courthouse. They are actually pretty reasonable.

Driver licenses, on the other hand, are handled by the State at different offices around the State.

good point brother

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Just wanted to update this thread. No luck so far, but trying.

Here's a question, though: Is there a service anyone is aware of that can check if a VIN is registered anywhere, nationwide?

Part of me is wondering, in cases like mine, where folks have an older title that matches the frame, if at some point a previous owner took the glovebox VIN tag and a duplicate title and someone used that to have it registered.

In other words, say I have a 20-year-old title (which I do). Let's say the previous owner couldn't find it at some point ~10 years ago, and got a duplicate of it. Then, they sold the glove box tag and that duplicate title to someone, who then went on to register a Bronco with it and use it. Thus, making the old title I have a useless piece of paper.

Is there something like a searchable, nationwide database of all vehicle VINs registered that anyone knows about to make sure I'm not trying to register a Bronco that's already registered somewhere out there in the US?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I had a frame and called the local sheriff, and he said the number was registered to a pickup. Wouldn't tell me where.

1970 Palmer

Commercial auto/truck/motorsports dealers deal with this kind of an issue every day on their vehicle trade-ins and lien sale vehicles. They do not go and stand in line at the local DMV with everyone else. They have "DMV Dealers Licenses", and they have their own "DMV licensed" employees on site at their dealership. Some of these "authorized people" have opened their own businesses' to provide privet DMV services, they usually advertise as "VIN# verifier's, some are also insurance agents. It's all on the up and up, they do everything by the book. The difference is that they are motivated to find a way to process your application, make you happy, and then they get paid. The local DMV see's you as a problem, and wants to just run you out the door, could care less if you ever get your title transfer. They just want to get on to the next customer which has a simple transaction that does not require any extra thought.
If you know of a friend that owns a dealership, they can set you in the best direction to resolve your problem, yes it handled differently in every state.

The service I use charges me $35 on top of any applicable DMV fees for a change of title. A VIN verify on an out of state vehicle cost me $90 ($60 without travel), and they came to my location, so I did not need to trailer it to them. Our AAA will do some simple transactions but nothing greater than a registration renewal, not out of state vehicles, etc. Life is too short to spend it in a DMV line waiting to talk with an employee that just is watching his watch for lunch time.

The last vehicle I did was a 1956, and the DMV person argued that the VIN# should have seventeen digits. My hired service had to go back a second time with documents showing that it was not actually a VIN#, but only a serial number in 1956, and the short serial number was the complete information. The modern VIN# system did not start until the early 80's. The point is, you have to know everything about the process before you go into the office, or you're just spinning your wheels. Hire a professional service and enjoy your afternoon.

1970 Palmer

Just wanted to update this thread. No luck so far, but trying.

Here's a question, though: Is there a service anyone is aware of that can check if a VIN is registered anywhere, nationwide?

Part of me is wondering, in cases like mine, where folks have an older title that matches the frame, if at some point a previous owner took the glovebox VIN tag and a duplicate title and someone used that to have it registered.

In other words, say I have a 20-year-old title (which I do). Let's say the previous owner couldn't find it at some point ~10 years ago, and got a duplicate of it. Then, they sold the glove box tag and that duplicate title to someone, who then went on to register a Bronco with it and use it. Thus, making the old title I have a useless piece of paper.

Is there something like a searchable, nationwide database of all vehicle VINs registered that anyone knows about to make sure I'm not trying to register a Bronco that's already registered somewhere out there in the US?
It might be different in Colorado. but they seal up that information pretty tight in the California DMV to prevent the crazies from targeting anyone driving a vehicle with a license plate and finding out where they live. Law enforcement officers can access it if you know of a buddy. This is another reason to hire a professional service to handle the details.