• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Attaching Wire Loom to frame

kat

Loc.
Bristol
When installing my rock lights/electric fuel pump/aftermarket back up lights I kinda half assed the wire routing. But I want to go under there and clean things up abit. I know I can put them in wire loom but instead of zip tie the things to random things, I would like to attach them to the frame with some sort of holding system. Anyone make a kit with several clips?? When I Google 'wire holders' I come up with plastic looking things for new cars.

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
I take it you drill hole in frame??
Yes you would need a hole. I used them on the frame and under the hood where there happened to be existing holes but couldn’t get a drill for the other style clamps. They work good for what they are.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Yes you would need a hole. I used them on the frame and under the hood where there happened to be existing holes but couldn’t get a drill for the other style clamps. They work good for what they are.
Hate to keep asking but what size hole is common? I mean is the link you shared is the size you used??

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Hate to keep asking but what size hole is common? I mean is the link you shared is the size you used??
They’re similar to what I used. I believe you can get them in different sizes. I’ll look tonight to see if I still have the package.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
They’re similar to what I used. I believe you can get them in different sizes. I’ll look tonight to see if I still have the package.
That would be awsome....they look like a great way to go...I just don't want to buy the wrong size. I might look over mine to see what size holes I have factory drilled in the frame/body. I have alot of loose wires.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
The ones I used come in multiple sizes. I used 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 most. Couple places under hood I needed larger. I used pre existing holes in frame and under hood. Had to drill one or 2 holes in frame if I remember correctly but tried to minimize that. There are 5 or 6 holes where the original wires went. Then just used sheet metal or self tapping screw that fit the clamp. Basically it just involves wandering the fastener isles at your local hardware store often until you find what works. Then eventually you will have about $500 in screws, nuts, bolts and washers accumulated and everyone in your neighborhood will come by whenever they need a screw or bolt!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used the clamps above on fuel lines and wires and just drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole to attach to the frame.

BigBronco16

I like the padded metal as the plastic zip ties get brittle and break. I have used both self drill/tap and threaded machine screws to attach.

71 CA Bronco

Marine supply stores have the metal ones as well in various sizes. They are usually stainless steel. It's what I've used. It's all in how much money you want to spend. :)

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
That would be awsome....they look like a great way to go...I just don't want to buy the wrong size. I might look over mine to see what size holes I have factory drilled in the frame/body. I have alot of loose wires.
The bag has no markings but I found the link to the ones I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8846DQ/?tag=cbama-20

I think you would need 15/64 or 1/4 bit

Reactions: kat
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
The ones I used come in multiple sizes. I used 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 most. Couple places under hood I needed larger. I used pre existing holes in frame and under hood. Had to drill one or 2 holes in frame if I remember correctly but tried to minimize that. There are 5 or 6 holes where the original wires went. Then just used sheet metal or self tapping screw that fit the clamp. Basically it just involves wandering the fastener isles at your local hardware store often until you find what works. Then eventually you will have about $500 in screws, nuts, bolts and washers accumulated and everyone in your neighborhood will come by whenever they need a screw or bolt!
Your right about the bolts/screws deal.......Before you know it I will have more than the Hardware store does. Im not replacing the original wire loom/clips, I'm running a different set of wires for aftermarket stuff so will have to either self tap the loops or use the zip ties. Im thinking Ill end up buying both but the zip tie connector will work in my situation. Thanks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Why not just run it INSIDE the frame, through existing holes? There are plenty.

(click this text)

But I would NOT use metal of any kind to hold wiring - it WILL eventually chafe through & short out. Good (black) nylon zip-ties can be had with screw holes, and a small self-drilling screw (like for interior trim) is sufficient to hold all the wiring you might want.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078P8KVJ8/?tag=cbama-20

Or zip-ties with separate saddles.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B8NY4SN/?tag=cbama-20

Or if the frame is REALLY-clean, no hole needed.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Why not just run it INSIDE the frame, through existing holes? There are plenty.

(click this text)

But I would NOT use metal of any kind to hold wiring - it WILL eventually chafe through & short out. Good (black) nylon zip-ties can be had with screw holes, and a small self-drilling screw (like for interior trim) is sufficient to hold all the wiring you might want.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078P8KVJ8/?tag=cbama-20

Or zip-ties with separate saddles.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B8NY4SN/?tag=cbama-20

Or if the frame is REALLY-clean, no hole needed.
Hmmmm, Never thought of going inside frame. I'll be doing this with body still on but thank you for the diagram. I might use some of those holes for my rock lights. AND I like the separate saddle idea.. Now you have completely stumped me on what I want to do...lol