• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rod Hall's Bronco on Motortrend (inaccuracies)

OP
OP
enesset

enesset

Loc.
NorCal & Iowa
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to comment on the article (below it) and if it isn't a dialog on MotorTrend then its "propaganda" and inaccurate propaganda at that?

House

Minutia Militia
Quite a few inaccuracies stated in such a short article…

Oh and if the “mantra was not to cut anything off or add any new features” why did they cut holes in the rockers for the rocker exit exhaust that weren’t there?
Oh, just to look more like the real 69 Baja winning truck that this isn’t, that’s why… LOL
What a crock.

Chipotle

Quite a few inaccuracies stated in such a short article…

Oh and if the “mantra was not to cut anything off or add any new features” why did they cut holes in the rockers for the rocker exit exhaust that weren’t there?
Oh, just to look more like the real 69 Baja winning truck that this isn’t, that’s why… LOL
What a crock.
I think there was a member on here from Reno who went over to see the Bronco being revived before they raced it again. I memory serves correct they claimed to have been access to the dumpster and saved a flywheel, and other parts off the engine in the dumpster and other things being discarded. 75Denver was that you?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That article takes the cake for the most inaccuracies to date, I think. Sloppy "journalism" at its best.

That sounds like @75Denver who may have visited the Bronco in Reno when they were prepping it to race in NORRA. A lot of old Stroppe stuff still on the truck but not nearly as much as what's on the real '69 winner - and as @House notes above, they cut holes in the rockers to try and make it look more like the '69 winner.

Todd Z.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"...I'm just not ready to let go of it yet. I don't know if I'll ever be."..."
good, keep it now its gettin ruined (o0OP, sour grapes?)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear you enesset. I did reach out to the author and he did get back to me saying our slide show was interesting. Apparently he relayed the story to a guy that does PR for the Hall/Lerner crew and Lerner ended up calling me. We had a nice chat but she said basicly that they pitch having the truck so that she can promote her movie/rentals of her movie One More WIn. And she doesn't have an opinion on whether it's the real 69 winner, but that gets the journalists excited. It's a great movie....and in the movie, you'll see the kind of personality Hall was and maybe that is the biggest clue as to why he insisted he had the actual truck.
Can't say I agree with the PR approach, but with modern times - I guess this is how it's done? I have access to the internet too, so I guess maybe we need to make our own documentary? Who's with me? Here's a link to a neat pic of Larry Minor at the wheel with Rod hall shot gun crossing the finishline of the 1969 Mexican 1000, ahead of everyone else. Petersen archive photo. Note the windscreen, rear frame rails, rear springs under the frame rails, etc.

Attachments

• 327690scr_wm_25c26c698ddb62b.jpg
    327690scr_wm_25c26c698ddb62b.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 327689scr_wm_6d658a86dc7701a.jpg
    327689scr_wm_6d658a86dc7701a.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 30

House

Minutia Militia
And the oh so easily seen exhaust through the rockers that they had to add to the Barstow Bronco that they own now…

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
love ta C the detail on the thru rocker and bed's double spares.

I'm shyin back the pipe to even w/the rocker, not too different than some mustangs (NOT the double tail pipe).

75Denver

I think there was a member on here from Reno who went over to see the Bronco being revived before they raced it again. I memory serves correct they claimed to have been access to the dumpster and saved a flywheel, and other parts off the engine in the dumpster and other things being discarded. 75Denver was that you?
@Chipotle and @toddz69, good memory. Yes that was me. I had stopped by the SAMCO fab shop after finding out the Race Bronco was being restored. After talking with one of the fabricators, I found the Bronco was gone but they had a dumpster full of parts. If I wanted them, I'd have to dig through it. Sadly, I discovered it had been emptied overnight but that a ring & pinion was sitting on their parts shelf. Nothing special, but still cool. I need to find that box, but I want to say it was etched with Stroppe's name. I was kind of bummed I didn't' walk away with a piece of garage art, but the chance to meet Rod in person and discuss "our" Bronco made up for the lost forever parts.