• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Identifying stock vs lifted rear leaf springs

ColoradoBronc

Hey all! Now that the title saga is over, on to actually fixing up the '68!

I've got the rear axle out, and as you can see here, am staring at the leaf springs. I've looked up photos, and it really seems like these have one more leaf than the photos of stock springs I've seen.

Can anyone confirm if these look stock, or....what height spring I may be looking at?

Thanks in advance! Going to start with reworking the rear axle, and figure I may as well order up new springs if I'm riding on stock height OG's at this point while I've got it all apart.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-22-at-SundayJanuary-22933PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-22-at-SundayJanuary-22932PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-22-at-SundayJanuary-22931PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-22-at-SundayJanuary-22927PM.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congratulations on the title!

The springs are either sort of stock, or stock-ish replacements perhaps.
I’ll defer to others that have more recent experience though because it’s been many years since I’ve actually messed around with stock ones.
Yours just don’t look quite right to me.

I don’t remember the plastic pads out of the ends on the stock springs, but maybe 68‘s were a little different.
However it is the correct number of leaves plus what looks like an add-a-leaf in the second from bottom position.
There is also another nonstock item in the form of what looks to be perhaps an 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch spacer plate at the bottom?
The overload leaf doesn’t look original either because it’s flatter than I remember. I think the stock overload leaf (the bottom one with the different curve) should have more of a curve.
Unless it’s simply flattened out over the years.

Stock springs were at least very similar to yours. Either four or five main leaves, plus an overload at the bottom. Totaling five or six for the entire pack.
So I’ll put my vote for a stock replacement set from the aftermarket, plus an add a leaf.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So I’ll put my vote for a stock replacement set from the aftermarket, plus an add a leaf.

I'd second that - I'd say stock or stock replacement with an add-a-leaf plus that small block on the bottom.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Thanks for the responses! I was also looking sideways at these after looking up many photos of stock leafs....

I'm hoping for 2.5" of lift total, running 31 x 10.5 KO2's on stock wheels with stock hubcaps.

That said...maybe I'm already there?? I've been debating either a) getting 2.5" of lift by mixing/matching the two sets of rear leafs that I have, or b) just going with a new 2.5" kit such as this guy:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/system3_w_WH_shocks_2in/Bronco_Suspension_System_2in

Part of me want to just go for the lift, but the budget-conscious part of me wants to not spend the $$ on it and just see how things pan out once I get the axle back under and get weight on it. Any thoughts from you all? Clean, paint, and run them, or just bit the bullet and do the lift kit??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While the full weight of the vehicle is on the suspension, measure between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rail at all four corners.
Primarily front and back, but doing all four corners just gives you some extra information or data points or whatever you wanna call it.
We consider stock to be 7 inches in the front and 6 inches in the rear. Anything over that is your current lift and anything below that is the amount of sag to the existing springs.
It’s not an exact science as even from the factory they could have varied slightly with options and suspension packages.
But it does get you really close to figure out what you have.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

DirtDonk, what are you, some sort of Early Bronco scientist!?! Amazing info!! Thank you - I'll take a look this morning and see what I can find out. Also very curious about the front springs, and this is exactly the info I need to check!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nah, I just take what the others say, try to remember the most important details, then repeat it with three times the number of words necessary to get the point across so as to confuse the issue even more than it was!
Keeps life interesting…🙄😉😁

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Right on - gotta keep things interesting :D.

OK, so the rear is at maybe 8/8.5" off the axle tube itself (not the perch), and the front is at ~7" to the perch or ~8.75" to the axle tube. Does that translate to the rear generally having a ~2-2.5" lift, and the front a [somewhat sagged] ~2" or so? As you can see this stuff is a bit ancient so no idea on the provenance of it. Looks like a bigger shock though, and if I'm not mistaken, a bigger (and once colored gray) spring. Anyone recognize this spring or setup by chance (ie did a certain brand lift from ~20+ years ago have beefy gray coils?

Photos below.
Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM-5.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM-4.jpg

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

And in other news, does anyone know what the heck is up with this hacked-in power steering setup?? Where it might be from? Was this a common mod to do it like this (through the inner fender) or did the previous owner totally just hack something random in here? Here are photos:
Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM-3.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM-2.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM-1.jpg

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, that's a hacked-up job but that's how a lot of stuff was done back in the day. I've certainly seen worse! As to the box, I'm guessing it's a Nissan or Toyota box of some sort but I didn't find anything that matched exactly in a quick google search.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

@toddz69 thanks for the input - definitely looked pretty hacked up. Looks like it used the stock holes to mount though(?) which is why I thought maybe it was a later Bronco unit that was grafted in or something.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IF you look it's not using the stock holes. It's also moved forward with what looks like a bolt under the forward body mount?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, so the rear is at maybe 8/8.5" off the axle tube itself (not the perch)...
Yep, approx. 2 to 2.5" of lift.
...and the front is at ~7" to the perch or ~8.75" to the axle tube.
So almost 2" or so of lift in the front.
Still consistent and more in keeping with it's age. The whole "2.5, 3.5 etc" lifts with that half inch extra was a new thing in the '90's or so.
Prior to that all lifts (or at least all that I knew of) were in 1, or 2, or 3, or 4 inch increments. Yours are linear rate (as opposed to variable rate) coils with a slightly larger wire diameter than stock. Not super big like Rancho 3" or Trailmster 4" lift coils, but almost. Still consistent with a 2" lift in fact.
I think gray/silver/argent coil colors were Rough Country before they went to everything being yellow, but that's a vague memory and other companies might have used that color as well, since neutral "normal" colors were the norm rather than the exception. Plain old black being the most common.
Once a few companies got popular with their brightly colored products, everyone had to have their own cool color to show off.
I had gray colored 2" lift coils on my '71 that could be the same thing you have. I thought they were Rough Country.
VERY STIFF RIDE!!!!!
Does that translate to the rear generally having a ~2-2.5" lift, and the front a [somewhat sagged] ~2" or so?
Yep.
There may still be companies that use gray coils, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
So while your stuff could have been done 20 years ago, to my mind it's more like 40 years ago. Mine was outfitted in such a way at least 48 years ago.
Nothing you have is unusable (perhaps) but most of it can readily be updated/upgraded to work better and safer (and at least cleaner!) to give you a more pleasant driving experience.

Just some more observations from the pics:
1. You still have the Dana 30 front end that is what your Bronco would have come with in '68.
2. You still have rubber C-bushings which were stock and look to be original by the checking/splitting visible.
3. You probably want new upgraded brake hoses.
4. Unless you're trying to keep it as original as possible, swapping in disc front brakes is definitely an upgrade in many ways. Stock brakes were actually adequate if you kept them in good shape and adjusted properly, but discs get rid of 90% of the maintenance of drums, offer more stability in hard braking, shed water and heat quicker, and are very likely stronger too. Rears not quite as much, but the fronts are a huge improvement over the originals.
5. You'll need a new vent hose on the front axle (and likely the rear too) but you'll also want to make sure that the vent tube is clean.
The vent tube is actually a hollow bolt that holds the brake hoses and lines to the top of the housing. If you remove it you can check that it's not clogged with mud or mud dauber nests.

Just some more stuff. I'm sure you'll get to most of that anyway because you're going to go through this thing with a fine toothed comb. But at least you can add them to your list!

Paul

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’ll bet they’re not as stiff and rough as the coils I put under my ‘72. They were out of a ‘68 Ford Galaxie w/AC. You could run over a 1/2” dowel rod and bounce off the roof. The ‘77 is a little better mannered. Lol

Randy

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Thank for your input on this guys! I'm still split on just pulling the trigger on a newer suspension system, since I'm going to be in there anyhow and would hate to redo everything, and then end up having to re- redo the suspension if it does ride rough. Just trying to save $ though. Will see what I can squeak out budget-wise.

I do have the James Duff Monster front brake kit which I'll be doing on the Dana 44 front axle that came off the 72 frame that came with the Bronco. Going to replace the C bushings and all the other odds and ends in the process.

Regarding the steering, going to start a new thread on it, but I do have an original power steering box and reservoir from a '72, which I just sent in to get rebuilt/resealed. Looking forward to using that and fixing this monstrosity of a power steering job. Also ordered a new inner fender well to fix the cut and hack job.

Alright alright - onward!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the frame from a very late build '72 then? With a "P" or maybe even a "Q" in the VIN?
Since a '72 would not have had power steering except maybe until the last month or so of production (October-ish?), you've got me curious.
Could have been a previous swap, but if it's factory original it would be a cool thing.
Officially speaking, '73 was the first model year that power steering was officially used.

When you get the chance, look for the VIN on the frame and if it's a P or a Q you can add it to the information in the "Mind Your "P's" and "Q's" thread started by Viperwolf1 here.
You won't be able to give full info, since it's just a frame it sounds like, but at least you can add it to the list.
If it's not one of those letters, at least you'll know more about the original '72 it came from.

Paul

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Paul, the VIN from the '72 does indeed have a "P" in it! Is indeed just a frame. Right on :thumbs-up:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. When you get a chance, pop over to Viper's thread here: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/1972-73-owners-mind-your-ps-and-qs.221155/ and add your VIN to the list.
As said, you won't be able to add any details of the body or how it was equipped, but if it has a transfer case you can at least add whether it's a J-shift or a T-shift. And you can add too, that yours "possibly" came equipped with power steering.

Thanks

Paul