• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to buy sheet metal ?

Wyattman2015

Hi
Looking for a site that sells 18 & 20 gauge sheet metal. The local HD and lowes don't have it.
Also am I using cold rolled ?
Thank you for the help.

1970 Palmer

Any large metro area will have an industrial metal store. You really need to "will call" this material due to the cost of shipping, not to mention the damage a shipping company will cause to the material. I have two metal stores within ten miles of my home and they offer pre-cut nominal sizes as well as full sheets. Most stores will give you one cut free if you buy a full sheet.

The price of metal today is not cheap...........but your local metal store is many times cheaper than any metal you might find at a big box store.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Did you try a google search metal and fabrication you’d think something would pop up,, like 70 Palmer I have a metal supply Moose metals a mile away .. shipping would suck

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
@Wyattman2015

Don’t order online and don’t buy at the big box stores. Go here:

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/location/charlotte/

there’s a location in Charlotte for you. My store on this side of the state sells everything, cuts what you and (best of all) sells drops. The “drops” are those random leftover pieces they can’t sell to a commercial customer but are great for project guys - sold by the pound.

Sheet metal, square and round tube, solid stock, angles, and on and on.

Jaybr

Contributor
@Wyattman2015

there’s a location in Charlotte for you. My store on this side of the state sells everything, cuts what you and (best of all) sells drops. The “drops” are those random leftover pieces they can’t sell to a commercial customer but are great for project guys - sold by the pound.

I recently found the Metal Supermarket here and it's great, been there twice in the last 2 weeks. They'll also take your order over the phone and have it ready when you get there.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I recently found the Metal Supermarket here and it's great, been there twice in the last 2 weeks. They'll also take your order over the phone and have it ready when you get there.

Agreed. My local store is awesome. I know all the employees at this point and just help myself to what I need.

Bring gloves, a tape measure and a 5gal bucket to carry your findings out to the scale.

OP
OP
W

Wyattman2015

@Wyattman2015

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Do you stick to a certain gauge or do you grab what ever they have available ?
Thanks again.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Do you stick to a certain gauge or do you grab what ever they have available ?
Thanks again.

I buy to the needs of the job. They should have most / all options available for you. For reference, 18ga is usually good for floors and body panel patches. I try to keep some of that around at all times.

I’ll take a pic when I’m at the Durham location. I’m planning some trailer ramp extensions and they’ll have what I want in drops. Love that place!!

OP
OP
W

Wyattman2015

@Wyattman2015

Thanks, I got what I needed there. Good recommendation, much appreciated.