• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Done with my fitech, advise on carburetor.

OP
OP
Remos69

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
While I like my FiTech, going through a number of both FiTech and my own problems w/ installation, either Ford EFI or that Edelbrock setup look pretty good. But like any product, outside of OEM, good luck on finding support in 5 years.

PS - stuck injectors.... usually grit holding them open and improved fuel filters help with that.
I've got a little over 3000 miles on the FiTech, I replaced 1st 10micron filter after the first injector fail at 500 miles, after the 2nd & 3rd 2500 miles I put in a 30 micron pre and 10 micron in front. I use 93 octane marine ethanol free fuel religiously.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Think there's something to be said about Holly success at sea level or close to sea level like you and Bax are? I know that can all be adjusted for but they're just pretty much cussed around here in all aspects, we're only about 1700'.
I run a Holley on my 302 and one on my 460. Routinely 3800'-7000' and they run just fine.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Remos, the last engine my guy did, 302 30 over, he put a SL-600-VSF, 600CFM, Slayer Series, vac. sec. & elec. choke Qiuck Fuel on it. It's been running fine.
I think Q F was started by some folks that left Holley??
I think Q F is part of Holley now??? I've had good luck with a couple of carbs from the Holley Rebuild Shop??? Just saying!!! Good luck!!!:):):)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Remos, the last engine my guy did, 302 30 over, he put a SL-600-VSF, 600CFM, Slayer Series, vac. sec. & elec. choke Qiuck Fuel on it. It's been running fine.
I think Q F is part of Holley now??? I've had good luck with a couple of carbs from the Holley Rebuild Shop??? Just saying!!! Good luck!!!:):):)
I think it is Brawler that is the low cost side of Holley.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Oh, I forgot to add that the Qjet scares #'s guys off because they don't understand them. They come in 2 sizes, big and bigger. :) 750 & 800 cfm

Doesn't really matter what some guy quotes about cfm and you only need a 500cfm carb on a 351 because a chart says so. A Qjet is the closest you can get to a variable venturi carb. The jets and metering rods are unlike what the other manufacturers use so when you run a 750cfm on a 4cyl you get excellent mileage & amazing throttle response. You can run this same carb on a 450 HP big block with the same results.

So of course you have to dial in the jet sizes, the correct metering rods and tweak here and there and you're gold. I built a lot of them and last year threw away about a foot and a half of charts, fixes, updates, interchangeabilities, in the garbage. Couldn't find anybody that wanted it all.

They really are a poor man's fuel injection. That's what we called them on this site for a long time.

Best of luck wherever you go.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, I once owned a boat with a little 3.8 liter V6. It came factory equipped with a Q-jet. I doubt the secondaries ever opened more than 25%. It only metered what the engine could use. That;s what makes them so good. Can't be too large at low speeds, but still flows on the top end.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yes, Quick Fuel was bought by Holley about 5-6 years ago. It's amazing how many companies are now owned by Holley...

Todd Z.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yes, Quick Fuel was bought by Holley about 5-6 years ago. It's amazing how many companies are now owned by Holley...

Todd Z.
My home town has a business called carpart I beleive that was started up by an elderly couple. it specifically filled orders for holley, Edelbrock, carter and sometimes Dorman I think.
I worked there for a few months and found out after speaking with them that they were each an heir to Holley and the other to Carter. They said it was quite a big deal with those two families coming together back in the day. Anyway, I believe that Holley ultimately owns them now and their daughter runs it.

Vintagetin

I'm old school. I thought I'd try a Holley Sniper on a build a few years ago. it would run fine one weekend (1000-mile trip), the next week it would act up. Everyone said I didn't know what I was doing. After many calls to tech support, I solved my own problems and went back to a carb. EFI's are not for me.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I'm a Holley tuning guru and under no circumstances would I recommend them on a Bronco especially the poor stuff they are shipping today. They leak regularly, have too rich part throttle, lean right off idle, poor mileage and do not like any angles or being jarred a lot (i.e. off roading) and get super crappy when the fuel is not clean. ALMOST everything I said is not true of the original designs (-1, -2) using non-e10 fuel in a daily driven application.

QJet is the tank of carburetors. Install drive it then drive it as is until the truck falls apart.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm a Holley tuning guru and under no circumstances would I recommend them on a Bronco especially the poor stuff they are shipping today. They leak regularly, have too rich part throttle, lean right off idle, poor mileage and do not like any angles or being jarred a lot (i.e. off roading) and get super crappy when the fuel is not clean. ALMOST everything I said is not true of the original designs (-1, -2) using non-e10 fuel in a daily driven application.

QJet is the tank of carburetors. Install drive it then drive it as is until the truck falls apart.
Wow! That sounds like a leaky, crappy old carb instead of EFI. What are they doing to the newer generations? Cheaping out on the materials? Wouldn't you expect the design to be better with newer iterations?

Todd Z.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Wow! That sounds like a leaky, crappy old carb instead of EFI. What are they doing to the newer generations? Cheaping out on the materials? Wouldn't you expect the design to be better with newer iterations?

Todd Z.
They appear to have lost the basic calibration. I think they tried to make it super tuneable and ended up making it hard to get a good tune. An out of the box Holley has too many fuel circuits and they step on each other. Plus they use the annular boosters on everything to give it good response but the base calibration was not updated for such a strong signal. Now you get a strong vac signal on the other fuel circuits and get real rich part throttle and then it goes lean at full throttle. Add jet to make the full power rich the middle / part throttle is pig rich. Then you need to go inside the carb and plug and re-drill ports. Holley decided to just add adjustable air bleed to both circuits which work but it is so tedious you need a huge array of parts plus they never address the power valve circuit. Instead they should revert to the older boosters or update the calibration (hole sizes!) they drill in the metering blocks for cruise and power valve. That is my opinion anyway.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
They appear to have lost the basic calibration. I think they tried to make it super tuneable and ended up making it hard to get a good tune. An out of the box Holley has too many fuel circuits and they step on each other. Plus they use the annular boosters on everything to give it good response but the base calibration was not updated for such a strong signal. Now you get a strong vac signal on the other fuel circuits and get real rich part throttle and then it goes lean at full throttle. Add jet to make the full power rich the middle / part throttle is pig rich. Then you need to go inside the carb and plug and re-drill ports. Holley decided to just add adjustable air bleed to both circuits which work but it is so tedious you need a huge array of parts plus they never address the power valve circuit. Instead they should revert to the older boosters or update the calibration (hole sizes!) they drill in the metering blocks for cruise and power valve. That is my opinion anyway.
I guess I misunderstood - I thought your complaints were referring to the Sniper EFI setup - it sounds like you're referring to a carburetor.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Remos69

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
I would give Bruce a call at Carburetors Unlimited in AZ. He specializes in Qjets and has built me two and both have run like a champ.

[/URL]

Good luck!
So I pulled the trigger after talking to him for about an hour. Should have my new to me qjet in a few weeks. Bruce is a wealth of knowledge and a very patient man while I'm sitting in my engine bay describing my setup while also on my tablet giving him my engine specs.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I pulled the trigger after talking to him for about an hour. Should have my new to me qjet in a few weeks. Bruce is a wealth of knowledge and a very patient man while I'm sitting in my engine bay describing my setup while also on my tablet giving him my engine specs.

That's great to hear Remos! I think you will be very happy. Please let us know how it all turns out.