• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AXLE STRAPS

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I have been researching this but like everything else everyone has their opinion and application. So what are you using while towing your EB (How many/Brand/length, where did you purchase them/cost)? Would also like to see photos if you have some of the anchor points.

When I tow MY GURL I rent a uhaul vehicle transport trailer. With this trailer because I have 35's I can't use the provided front tire straps, so I purchased the straps for oversized tires. The trailer also has (02) metal chains , (01) in the front and (01) in the back , I usually just wrap them around the bumpers. I will also use a couple ratcheting straps on a couple different poins underneath.

Is this enough or should I get the EXTRA PROTECTION and invest in axle straps? I dont tow very often maybe once or twice a year, but when she goes up on the trailer I want her to still be there when I get to our destination.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

Attachments​

https://socalbroncos.com/forum/forums/-/list

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The tire straps really are sufficient, millions of miles on those trailers for decades, if it was an issue they would change it. One thing you do not want to do is pull against the tire straps to the front or rear with a ratchet strap. Me, if there’s a way to easily connect to the trailer, I’d add another set of tire straps. Or abandon the tire straps and go to These Mac’s Custom Tie Downs with an additional set of axle straps so you can go around the frame of the trailer and the axles. Mac’s has a ton of videos of how to properly use their equipment.

A few pics that I have of my stuff. All of my vehicles have welded tie down points on the axles and my trailers have welded on

Attachments

• D82F99FF-617F-4570-984B-2F54CF17318F.jpeg
    D82F99FF-617F-4570-984B-2F54CF17318F.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 444C433F-9098-4416-85B5-7FB450BCF5B3.jpeg
    444C433F-9098-4416-85B5-7FB450BCF5B3.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 5A53B132-8567-4852-91AA-B551664D2846.png
    5A53B132-8567-4852-91AA-B551664D2846.png
    863.5 KB · Views: 71
  • C662EC5A-25A2-4B8E-B94B-165D2AAB6CB8.jpeg
    C662EC5A-25A2-4B8E-B94B-165D2AAB6CB8.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
The challenge is that the provided tire straps are good for …maybe a 28” tire.

I used uhaul before buying my trailer and used 2 straps front and rear from USA Ratchet. I’ve since converted to snaps, but used then”J” hooks for many years with great success.

I think I have 8 axle straps… 4x18” and 4x24”. They’re handy to have around and extras are always nice in case to put a bolt through one or it starts to cut on a spring plate.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd spend a little time on Mac's website and watch some of their videos.
I also think U-haul does not provide enough tie down points to be legal but they get away with it.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'd spend a little time on Mac's website and watch some of their videos.
I also think U-haul does not provide enough tie down points to be legal but they get away with it.
Why would you think that America's #1 supplier (and most anal) of transport trailers would be out of compliance with the law?

The only applicable statute that I can find regarding vehicle on a trailer is CVC 29004 (3) Towing Equipment

(3) A vehicle transported on a slide back carrier or conventional
trailer shall be secured by at least four tiedown chains, straps, or
an equivalent device, independent of the winch or loading cable. This
subdivision does not apply to vehicle bodies that are being
transported in compliance with Sections 393.100 to 393.136,
inclusive, of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

So two ratchet straps on the front, and two safety chains meets the requirement. There are a boatload of Federal Regulations regarding transport, but all of that is loads over 10,000 lbs. I find it interesting that the loading and binding regulations specify the WLL (working load limit) of the chains is 1/2 of the vehicle weight. So if you are towing a 3500 lb Bronco, each chain only needs to have a capacity of 1750 lbs.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I just ask this question because I see a lot of rigs getting towed with several different tie down points. I have never had a problem with towing my Bronco on the uhaul trailer.

I think remember when I was watching someone load their rig they mentioned the leave the rig in "Neutral " while securing it? Is that right? Not that I am questioning this, just making sure I dont mess anything if that's possible to do. Again, I do not tow very often that's why I am asking those who do.

Sonny

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
That Macs set is great and is a 2 in one deal. Axle strap and ratchet strap all in one set up. Getting separate axle straps and then add in a ratchet strap you can end up having to much material for the distance you have to put your tie down equipment in. I just went thru this with my trailer when finally going to soft straps versus chains and ratchet binders. I did lots or research and testing.

As I understand it, it is always best to do a straight off pull and not a X or angle pull. Sorry I do not mean to open that can of worms. I had to angle the front because I had to much ratchet material for the distance. Even with the shorter Macs straps, I still had too much. I now have the direct hook ratchet and they work perfect doing a straight off pull.

So to help with that possible issue and make things shorter, get the ratchet that has the end hook "direct hook" to the ratchet body. Since you are working with such a short trailer and a short distance to have your tie down material in.
https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/...ndard-ratchet-w-macs-logo-ratchet-only-422035

This Rytash set up was too long. as you can see in the pic. https://www.rytash.com/product-page/blue-twisted-snap-hook-strap-set
Only way to shorten them is to have a floating anchor point on the strap (like the MACs set up). And get the direct hook ends.

And IMO nothing wrong to have it in neutral when doing the initial strapping down. Just loosely chocked to prevent large amounts of rolling. And that way it can help prevent on pulling on the parking pawl in the trans. Of course once secure and tight, remember to put it in park and set the park brake.

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use the “direct” connect option on tie downs. On my single axle trailer the connections are too short to work any other way. I second not crossing them either, not debating, following instructions from the engineers that have tested it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Always have used ones I got from a swap meet Strapman Using Axle straps around the axles to tie off too

Criss cross the front and straight back in the rear. Know quite a few that just strap over the tire

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Any of the big swap meets, will typically have some type of strap salesman

Jedeka

Contributor
I welded on some strap brackets to the rear axle. I recommend Mac’s tie downs. The kit I bought has the fixed length sewn in hook on the ratchet end. The other end has the sewn in chain extension to hook to the stake pockets on the trailer. I also bought a some axle straps with sleeves.

Attachments

• CF8C8CA1-ED61-4D70-85E0-0F2A7C89322A.png
    CF8C8CA1-ED61-4D70-85E0-0F2A7C89322A.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 90E1BABC-0C7D-4C07-BB8C-4D61709B5ED3.png
    90E1BABC-0C7D-4C07-BB8C-4D61709B5ED3.png
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 33

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I just ask this question because I see a lot of rigs getting towed with several different tie down points. I have never had a problem with towing my Bronco on the uhaul trailer.

I think remember when I was watching someone load their rig they mentioned the leave the rig in "Neutral " while securing it? Is that right? Not that I am questioning this, just making sure I dont mess anything if that's possible to do. Again, I do not tow very often that's why I am asking those who do.

Sonny
I towed my bronco on a u-haul using the ratchet straps over some 33x12.50x15 tires. The strap was just barely long enough to engage the ratchet but cinched down tight. Added the requisite u-haul chain and cheapo rubber hook holder in the front (pulling mostly sideways) and in the rear (pulling forward???)

I didn't know or care whether the Bronco was in neutral. I'm not even sure it had a transmission in it. I as going for a 377 mile journey to take it to the body shop. I made it 75 miles thru canyons, bridges, and interstate traffic. The Bronco looked "fine" in my mirrors. But I did notice at 70 MPH that the surge brakes on the trailer felt strange. Seemed to be a double bump when the trailer brakes applied. No problem...I don't use the brakes all that much when towing. But I'm not the slowest guy on the freeway, so once in a while I will come across slow traffic. OK, got trapped in the right lane. tap the brakes, feel the surge brake kick in, feel another little bump...then accelerate into the next lane. Wait a minute...did I see the Bronco MOVE???

This is where it gets stupid. I think I did see it move. So what do I do? Tap the brake HARDER while looking in the mirror. Nothing happens. OK, well let's get going. Accelerate hard. Oh wow! I just felt a jolt! Something definitely moved. Better hit the brakes. Uh-Oh. Bronco rolled forward about a foot! Oh, and now I can see the left wheel strap flapping in the wind. Probably should pull over. Yeah, both straps completely disconnected. The Bronco was rolling back and forth a good 2 feet. The angled wheel stops were the only thing keeping it from rolling off the FRONT of the trailer. The 2nd safety chain was pulling the wrong way. And the first was just along for the ride. When the tire rolled over the little metal bar behind the wheel...it would accelerate backwards and slam against the chain. But when stopping, the chain did nothing...and the tire rolled back over the bar and stopped when it hit the ramp.

Now one could argue that I should have applied the parking brake, or put it in park, or in gear...but if I had done that, I would have never known that the load had become unstrapped. So in a way, it was a good thing that the Bronco would roll. If it hadn't, I would have kept driving with that 4000 lb unguided missile behind my head. In the event of a major traffic avoidance, or any significant maneuver, it would be bad. So for me, the answer is this:

Forget about neutral, park, in gear, or parking brake. If it has wheels, assume that the load is free to roll...and secure the load with the proper binders, chains, and straps. (proper as defined by the US DOT flatbed trailer loading guidelines for Commercial Vehicles and loads over 10,000 lbs.) Once you have it properly secured to the trailer, then it DOESN'T MATTER whether you put it in gear, or not. And that's how it should be.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I towed my bronco on a u-haul using the ratchet straps over some 33x12.50x15 tires. The strap was just barely long enough to engage the ratchet but cinched down tight. Added the requisite u-haul chain and cheapo rubber hook holder in the front (pulling mostly sideways) and in the rear (pulling forward???)

I didn't know or care whether the Bronco was in neutral. I'm not even sure it had a transmission in it. I as going for a 377 mile journey to take it to the body shop. I made it 75 miles thru canyons, bridges, and interstate traffic. The Bronco looked "fine" in my mirrors. But I did notice at 70 MPH that the surge brakes on the trailer felt strange. Seemed to be a double bump when the trailer brakes applied. No problem...I don't use the brakes all that much when towing. But I'm not the slowest guy on the freeway, so once in a while I will come across slow traffic. OK, got trapped in the right lane. tap the brakes, feel the surge brake kick in, feel another little bump...then accelerate into the next lane. Wait a minute...did I see the Bronco MOVE???

This is where it gets stupid. I think I did see it move. So what do I do? Tap the brake HARDER while looking in the mirror. Nothing happens. OK, well let's get going. Accelerate hard. Oh wow! I just felt a jolt! Something definitely moved. Better hit the brakes. Uh-Oh. Bronco rolled forward about a foot! Oh, and now I can see the left wheel strap flapping in the wind. Probably should pull over. Yeah, both straps completely disconnected. The Bronco was rolling back and forth a good 2 feet. The angled wheel stops were the only thing keeping it from rolling off the FRONT of the trailer. The 2nd safety chain was pulling the wrong way. And the first was just along for the ride. When the tire rolled over the little metal bar behind the wheel...it would accelerate backwards and slam against the chain. But when stopping, the chain did nothing...and the tire rolled back over the bar and stopped when it hit the ramp.

Now one could argue that I should have applied the parking brake, or put it in park, or in gear...but if I had done that, I would have never known that the load had become unstrapped. So in a way, it was a good thing that the Bronco would roll. If it hadn't, I would have kept driving with that 4000 lb unguided missile behind my head. In the event of a major traffic avoidance, or any significant maneuver, it would be bad. So for me, the answer is this:

Forget about neutral, park, in gear, or parking brake. If it has wheels, assume that the load is free to roll...and secure the load with the proper binders, chains, and straps. (proper as defined by the US DOT flatbed trailer loading guidelines for Commercial Vehicles and loads over 10,000 lbs.) Once you have it properly secured to the trailer, then it DOESN'T MATTER whether you put it in gear, or not. And that's how it should be.

that would not be a fun experience for sure.. Glad it didn't turn out as bad as it could have

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
James, glad the journey ended safely.

Last 30 yrs... I used abrasion straps over the 4 link in the rear and over the axle up front. Chains in the rear, ratchets up front. I always put it in gear- not sure what it does! lol

Present day, I bought new Mac straps with abrasion covers and now with Shorty I can't reach under it at all to put a strap anywhere. So my new straps fit thru the slots in my wheels and I anchor all 4 corners like I did above. 2 short chains in back and 2 ratchets up front. I use it for my DD/wheeler and Shorty.

Best of both. Easy, easy access. Never have to get on the trailer decking ever, not even a knee. Should have done this decades ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127_224814_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_224814_Google.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 16

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m glad I was fat, dumb and happy when I hooked a tow bar to my ‘72 and hitched it to a trailer hitch on an ‘89 mercury marquis and drove 150 miles to a mechanic to swap in a 302. Probably didn’t know whether it did anything funky or not because it was at night. Lol I did survive the trip and didn’t lose the transplant engine out of the back of the Bronco. The things we do…

Randy