• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recovery gear

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I can see the impact being bad for the jack. But a cordless drill should be fine so long as it is geared low enough and the drill is big enough. I've used a cordless drill to spin over small engines trying to fix ignition issues. My little drill hated it, but the big drill could care less. And that is smooth rotation, not hammering.
From Brennan's website regarding impact use on the jack:

Can you make it so I can run the Tauler Jack with an impact driver or drill? Not really a good idea in my opinion. Using an impact driver will cause a lot of premature wear on the mechanism inside the jack, especially hitting the ends of travel with an impact. This will significantly shorten the life of your jack. Unless you are a race car driver and seconds count, just slow down and be safe.

Maybe he's just posting that to cover his assets, I don't know :).

Todd Z.
I agree, my thoughts were not for lifting loads, just running that monotonous no load portion of the motion, I do that with a couple of trailers. I agree hammering on the mechanism with an impact is probably bad. I should have elaborated, especially since we know it is a trailer jack, probably not the most robust parts for abusive cycling LOL. keeping it lubricated and running by hand keeps the heat down and makes it live a longer, happier life.

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
I've been running synthetic for a few years now, as far as gear goes I carry 4 soft shackles, two rope pulleys, 10' 20' and 100' rope extensions. The recovery points on the bronco have steel shackles just for ease of hook-up. I also carry 4' 8' and 20' straps. Next big purchase will be a kinetic rope. I know a lot of people like using the cheap gear off Amazon but I've got in the habit of buying name brand made in the USA stuff. Most of my gear is factor 55, I feel better that they actually test their gear and have data tags on everything.

Attachments

• 20220919_223858.jpg
    20220919_223858.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've been running synthetic for a few years now, as far as gear goes I carry 4 soft shackles, two rope pulleys, 10' 20' and 100' rope extensions. The recovery points on the bronco have steel shackles just for ease of hook-up. I also carry 4' 8' and 20' straps. Next big purchase will be a kinetic rope. I know a lot of people like using the cheap gear off Amazon but I've got in the habit of buying name brand made in the USA stuff. Most of my gear is factor 55, I feel better that they actually test their gear and have data tags on everything.
Factor 55 is nice stuff for sure and typically am very picky about gear that my life could depend on. But I’ve found with the inexpensive rope I change it more often, it gets tattered at all I don’t feel bad about replacing it every month if needed. Where as I spend $500 on a rope, I’ll run it until it’s dangerous.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Factor 55 is nice stuff for sure and typically am very picky about gear that my life could depend on. But I’ve found with the inexpensive rope I change it more often, it gets tattered at all I don’t feel bad about replacing it every month if needed. Where as I spend $500 on a rope, I’ll run it until it’s dangerous.
no doubt man..

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I held out as long as I could to convert my Warn 8274 from steel to synthetic. I wish I had done it sooner. I would see friends trying to help me lug that heavy cable up a hill and then get cut with the burs. Then I'd be helping them and they would have rope which was so easy when I was tugging on it.
I quit carrying heavy steel shackles now too. That heavy clanging around is gone and now I have a few soft shackles that loop over part of the cage in easy to get to places.
Same as the doubler - now I have the donut. I'll go one step further, Snipes put me on to this and it does help when alone. It has a simple molding to keep the rope in place while it's loose. https://brennans-garage.com/collections/frontpage/products/snatch-ring-package

We pulled 1,800 of field fence this weekend. When feasible, I used the Bronco with rope line and soft shackles to make connections. It was so light and easy to work with. My friends who helped were amazed at the soft shackle and how it works.
20190819_190128_1024x1024@2x.jpg
I was going to point out Brennan if it hadn't already been done. Some of you may recall the low flat fender on 40's that did some magazine's "Ultimate 4X Challenge" or some-such. That is Brennan.
I have several of his soft shackles and one of his doubler pulleys.

I was intrigued when I my friend Dave showed me that jack kit and built one. I've yet to use it, mostly because I haven't figured out a good way to carry it into the field.

And in the shop you could put a nut in place of the crank handle and use an impact to run it up and down
😉
With a battery impact you could do that anywhere.
I didn't even think of that, if I do end up taking it racing I'll make that mod using a lug nut so that the socket that I carry fits the jack too. An impact spins smoothly until it hits enough resistance.

I've had a 60" Hi-Lift that has been successfully holding down a corner of my yard for going on 2 decades.

What I have been carrying into the field since late 2003, when first built:
i-bmrhNfK-M.jpg

As it is now on/in it's 4th vehicle, long overdue for an "Aerosol Overhaul" as it must have over a 100k miles on it by now:
i-dTLLPqM-L.jpg

Anyone spot the recovery strap speed secret on the rear of the Blanc-Oh?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I was going to point out Brennan if it hadn't already been done. Some of you may recall the low flat fender on 40's that did some magazine's "Ultimate 4X Challenge" or some-such. That is Brennan.

I was intrigued when I my friend Dave showed me that jack kit and built one. I've yet to use it, mostly because I haven't figured out a good way to carry it into the field.

I didn't even think of that, if I do end up taking it racing I'll make that mod using a lug nut so that the socket that I carry fits the jack too. An impact spins smoothly until it hits enough resistance.

I've had a 60" Hi-Lift that has been successfully holding down a corner of my yard for going on 2 decades.

i-bmrhNfK-M.jpg

As it is now on/in it's 4th vehicle, long overdue for an "Aerosol Overhaul" as it must have over a 100k miles on it by now:
i-dTLLPqM-L.jpg

I am digging that jack on the skid man!

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

i-bmrhNfK-M.jpg

i-dTLLPqM-L.jpg

We did something similar for a floor Jack. We used an aluminum jack and put it on a lift kit with the skid so we could get the car high enough. But it hung on the wall in the trailer.

As for the recovery strap speed secret, pintle hitches are awesome for that.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I was given the complete set of Safe Jack parts for a bottle jack and I've been thinking, occasionally, about adapting their height adjustment parts to the floor jack because it's a small one and I have run out of lift with it. Use up half it's travel just getting up to the lifting point. I need to work on that more. If only to take some weight OUT of some of those parts as they're excessively heavy!

Speaking of bottle jacks, MISF put me onto something that I think is worth knowing. Late Land Rovers come with a telescoping hyd. bottle jack. They have two stages, so they lift quite high for their size. Being English they likely leak oil, but it is worth keeping in mind so that the next time you see an LR in the JY you look to see if it still has the jack. Might be worth taking home. Unlike the rest of the LR......

This thread reminded me that I don't have any tree savers. My inclination with straps in general is to buy a good one and a cheap one. Use the good one when it's important and use the cheap one where the risk of damage to it is high. I arrived at this strategy after ruining a good new strap yanking a broken race truck out of immediate harm's way. I do mean yanking, hit the end of the strap pinned in second and kept going for several hundred yards. The strap worked into a notch on his tube bumper and was partly cut in it's first and only use.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This thread reminded me that I don't have any tree savers. My inclination with straps in general is to buy a good one and a cheap one. Use the good one when it's important and use the cheap one where the risk of damage to it is high. I arrived at this strategy after ruining a good new strap yanking a broken race truck out of immediate harm's way. I do mean yanking, hit the end of the strap pinned in second and kept going for several hundred yards. The strap worked into a notch on his tube bumper and was partly cut in it's first and only use.

not a bad strategy.. my main issue, is just getting a storage set up still (procrastinator) uggh

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I bolted a .30 cal ammo can to the spare tire carrier between the spare and the tailgate. The cheap snatch strap and a couple metal shackles live in it. When we need a strap while desert racing we usually need it really fast. Not always, but mostly. Having it right there means no digging thru things to find what we need.
I've had an internal debate with myself if I want the metal shackles available. On the plus, those most likely to be hooking things up know how to use them, where not all know about soft shackles (that's slowly changing). On the minus, they're misslles....

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Hum, I see that Brennan is now having Yankum make his soft shackles and their price has gone up accordingly. I guess that makes my early, owner mfg'd shackles now Collector's Items and I should retire them to wait until they're worth something to my grand kids.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hum, I see that Brennan is now having Yankum make his soft shackles and their price has gone up accordingly. I guess that makes my early, owner mfg'd shackles now Collector's Items and I should retire them to wait until they're worth something to my grand kids.
I wonder who was making his now......I bought one when they were $25. Then they jumped to $30....and then they jumped to $60!! Yikes!!

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Speaking of bottle jacks, MISF put me onto something that I think is worth knowing. Late Land Rovers come with a telescoping hyd. bottle jack. They have two stages, so they lift quite high for their size. Being English they likely leak oil, but it is worth keeping in mind so that the next time you see an LR in the JY you look to see if it still has the jack. Might be worth taking home. Unlike the rest of the LR......
Can't remember if I had mentioned to you or not, but I finally found one of those LR bottle jacks some time back - got it for $5 at the yonke. After I got home, I realized it barely went high enough to get the tire off the ground (33" tire). So I gave it to Jonathan Hanson :).

Todd Z.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
ooohh.... you've got Collector's Items too! Exclusively hand made by the owner.
;)

Did that LR jack extend it's second step? Then again, LR is putting 50 series or shorter tyres are everything these days, wouldn't take much of a jack to get one of those off the ground. I've got one around the garage somewhere. I should dig it out and test it.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Perhaps its like the one in the Blanc-Oh and is mechanical? At least, I *think* the one under it's hood is two stage. I've only checked that it is free to rotate.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It’s like this one and rated for 4 tons.

Been looking for one to put in the J Truck, just haven’t committed to the over $100 price tag on flea bay

Attachments

• B17F5EDB-C815-45F4-AC87-AC4A62290F81.jpeg
    B17F5EDB-C815-45F4-AC87-AC4A62290F81.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 14

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I bolted a .30 cal ammo can to the spare tire carrier between the spare and the tailgate. The cheap snatch strap and a couple metal shackles live in it. When we need a strap while desert racing we usually need it really fast. Not always, but mostly. Having it right there means no digging thru things to find what we need.
I've had an internal debate with myself if I want the metal shackles available. On the plus, those most likely to be hooking things up know how to use them, where not all know about soft shackles (that's slowly changing). On the minus, they're misslles....

yeah I hear that. met a bronco guy in kS and one of our meets that had a nice box from like a home depot that he mod'd to fit in the rear.. I'll have to see if I can find those pics