• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

State of the Repro Bronco Bodies in 2023?

JA101

Hi all,
Considering building a built from scratch new bronco. Yes, I know it's costly and there's a lot more than just an engine and body.

What is the state of the reproduction bodies in 2023? Is there a vendor that produces a close to perfect body where everything lines up, with no body work (or very minimal) needed? Dennis Carpenter seems to make a good one, does that remain true today?

I've also seen rust bucket bronco bodies? (Think that's the name)

Jaybr

Contributor
I’ve got one on order with Northeast Classic Ford Parts, they seem to have a great reputation. That said, location probably matters as I can’t imagine shipping cost in todays economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBronc2

Contributor
Rust Belt Broncos, in Ohio.

That's where I bought my complete body from - tub, doors, tailgate, hood, fenders, windshield, grill. Doors hung on hinges, I optioned flared rear fenders, '66 grill, and '77 drivers inner fender to clear power steering. It came bolted to a metal rolling cart, with a stout angle iron inner body brace. All spot welded (some spots better than others), bare steel. I was able to use my 2 post lift to pick it up off the cart and down onto my finished chassis, all the body mount holes lined up with no trouble. I had to cut a few holes for the ZF shifter and the D20 twin stick shifters, and a little clearancing on the corner of the inner fender to clear the 4x4x2 power steering box.

I spent a couple of days with a belt sander smoothing down the spot welds, and still need to apply seam sealer to all the joints. There will be a few places some minor bodywork will be needed (mainly light sanding, a skim coat of filler) where the sheetemtal isn't quite perfect before I send it off to get painted.

It was not cheap ($17K, plus ahipping), but considering the amount of work my old body would have needed, plus the fact that Broncos are selling for 6 figures now, it was worth the investment.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Nothing is perfect and all will require minor body work to be ready to paint. I have seen several DC tubs and that isn't who I would buy from. I have one on order with Northeast and have seen at least 2 dozen of theirs (I live close by) and that is who I would recommend. I also own a complete new Bronco body from Rustbelt Broncos., it was built painted and rhinolined by them, again I would recommend Northeast.

OP
OP
J

JA101

Rust Belt Broncos, in Ohio.

That's where I bought my complete body from - tub, doors, tailgate, hood, fenders, windshield, grill. Doors hung on hinges, I optioned flared rear fenders, '66 grill, and '77 drivers inner fender to clear power steering. It came bolted to a metal rolling cart, with a stout angle iron inner body brace. All spot welded (some spots better than others), bare steel. I was able to use my 2 post lift to pick it up off the cart and down onto my finished chassis, all the body mount holes lined up with no trouble. I had to cut a few holes for the ZF shifter and the D20 twin stick shifters, and a little clearancing on the corner of the inner fender to clear the 4x4x2 power steering box.

I spent a couple of days with a belt sander smoothing down the spot welds, and still need to apply seam sealer to all the joints. There will be a few places some minor bodywork will be needed (mainly light sanding, a skim coat of filler) where the sheetemtal isn't quite perfect before I send it off to get painted.

It was not cheap ($17K, plus ahipping), but considering the amount of work my old body would have needed, plus the fact that Broncos are selling for 6 figures now, it was worth the investment.
That's the name, thanks for the correction. Useful info. Of course minor tweaking will be needed, just looking for something that won't need all the body lines corrected, or the windshield pillars/surround straightened, etc, like you read about with older Dynacorn and some other repro bodies.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fortunately these have been done long enough to where the builders have it down. That on top of the demand slowing a bit, the shops are delivering quicker.

OP
OP
J

JA101

Nothing is perfect and all will require minor body work to be ready to paint. I have seen several DC tubs and that isn't who I would buy from. I have one on order with Northeast and have seen at least 2 dozen of theirs (I live close by) and that is who I would recommend. I also own a complete new Bronco body from Rustbelt Broncos., it was built painted and rhinolined by them, again I would recommend Northeast.
Thanks for the recommendation, they are closer by, which should help on shipping. I will check them out.

How is the Rust Belt one? Solid quality? I do like how they offer painting services.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Thanks for the recommendation, they are closer by, which should help on shipping. I will check them out.

How is the Rust Belt one? Solid quality? I do like how they offer painting services.
The lines don't look as good overall imho, they didn't do a great job if you are picky. I have painted three cars on my own in make shift paint booths. My body work, paint and coverage/attention to detail was better than they put out being a professional shop.

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
I talked to DC just today. He said they are booked solid through Jan 2024. They are not currently taking new orders. They have 50-60 people on a list waiting to place an order when they start taking orders again.

I also talked to northeast a couple days ago. The guy I talked to said they have two facilities currently producing bronco bodies. One in Delaware that is 13 months out, and one in Florida that is five months out. The guy from NE was a better salesman who talked about the good features of his product and seemed eager to help out when I was ready to order. The guy from DC was nice enough but I kind of felt like I was being told “tough shit, we‘re too busy”.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Where are you located? West coast or East? If you are on the West Coast. Josh at Highline here in Oregon assembles his own bodies.
If you get lucky he may have an extra laying around. Usually does not. But I got two from him in the past just out of shear luck he had extras at the time.
Might give him a call if you are on the West Coast.

eBronc2

Contributor
That's the name, thanks for the correction. Useful info. Of course minor tweaking will be needed, just looking for something that won't need all the body lines corrected, or the windshield pillars/surround straightened, etc, like you read about with older Dynacorn and some other repro bodies.
On mine, the drivers door window frame contacts the windshield frame just enough to keep the door from closing all the way. The tub may have become slightly tweaked from lifiting it off the transport dolly and onto my chassis, but all of the transport shipping braces were left in place, so....

Not a huge deal, once it's bolted firmly down to the chassis it may be fine. If not, I'll shim it. At any rate, it's better than having to deal with rust.

OP
OP
J

JA101

Where are you located? West coast or East? If you are on the West Coast. Josh at Highline here in Oregon assembles his own bodies.
If you get lucky he may have an extra laying around. Usually does not. But I got two from him in the past just out of shear luck he had extras at the time.
Might give him a call if you are on the West Coast.
New England. So East Coast seems like the better choice for me, when I do get around to doing this.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
there's also Shannons broncos but is west coast near sacramento ca. just went back an looked there web site seems to not have been updated so??

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
New England. So East Coast seems like the better choice for me, when I do get around to doing this.

make sure you attempt to get out to May it Forward if you haven't already met that bunch of great guys

hrsepwr2

Has anyone in here used a Bronco body from Patriot 4x4 yet? The owner in Indiana builds bronco body and frames from what I understand and used to do the same for early Mustangs.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Lou at LAL was building bodies for the market but may only be doing them for his complete builds, not sure but I would check with him. You could also try Todd at Fossilized Customs in Maine, again he was building bodies but I don’t know if he is selling them or using them. Good luck.

joshua

Contributor
I talked to DC just today. He said they are booked solid through Jan 2024. They are not currently taking new orders. They have 50-60 people on a list waiting to place an order when they start taking orders again.

I also talked to northeast a couple days ago. The guy I talked to said they have two facilities currently producing bronco bodies. One in Delaware that is 13 months out, and one in Florida that is five months out. The guy from NE was a better salesman who talked about the good features of his product and seemed eager to help out when I was ready to order. The guy from DC was nice enough but I kind of felt like I was being told “tough shit, we‘re too busy”.
Got the Same story from carpenter about 4 months ago. Said they would call me. Not holding my breath.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i wonder how many hours a skilled fabricator would take in assembling a complete bronco body from scratch with available repo panels?

TheLimeRanger

if it were me, id "one stop shop". the last thing i want to deal with is a body shop that says "whoever put this body together didnt finish it" and then get into a "he said she said between the builder and the painter. Since you're on the east coast, id highly recommend giving Lou at LAL Customs a call. ive been to his shop a bunch of times, he's the real deal and a perfectionist by any measure.