• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RF interference issue with USShift controller wiring?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Quick Q-

Can you see any potential issue with good plug wires creating RF issues with USShift transmission controller wires being one inch away?

I plan to have them enter the firewall with an inch or two of 4 spark plug wires.

Thx

I can call USShift in the am if they answer?

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If your worried it's easy enough to shield them.......

I got a bunch leftover from a FiTech install,,, and I have your address, you want some?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes,

Thanks Jon. :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I know enough from my electrical days it could be an issue so I'd love to play it safe.

I've already enjoyed the one electrical glitch that the 6r is known for and I don't want a repeat.

AAaaagh!

For those that are unfamiliar with the 6r "glitch", they had a problem with shifting into1st gear at ANY speed. Ford & TSB's and deaths... mainly early years but mine is a 2014.

Mine shifted into 1st at 62 mph... not fun!

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Shielding is playing it safe.

Could have been worse and been in 4 wheel drive 😳
True! Still freaky as heck.

I posted up on Coral or Yellow Bullit and had a quite a few similar horror stories. Not one of them came through without major damage to their drivetrain or belly pans.

Guess TON's, 1350 joints and 14 bolt rear ends are a bit tougher than Cobra and GT350 drivetrain! :)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Most definitely, we try to make that stuff happen on purpose 🤣

years ago I was working with a popular axle manufacturer that was developing front axle shafts. They started taking about allowable permanent twist and at what point the axle shaft was trash. I said “you do realize that we are going to twist it to the braking point and when that fails to make forward progress we are going to put it in reverse and twist it just as hard” you could of heard a pin drop lol. They had never imagined that you would apply the same force in reverse as forward. I did manage to break everything they sent me to try in 1 day. I finally had to tell them that I couldn’t afford to be the guinea pig any more, free axles and ujoints were great but lockers and ring and pinions were a killer. Went to tons and rockwells and never looked back.

Of course when Brian and I are involved there will be topic derail 😝

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Most definitely, we try to make that stuff happen on purpose 🤣

years ago I was working with a popular axle manufacturer that was developing front axle shafts. They started taking about allowable permanent twist and at what point the axle shaft was trash. I said “you do realize that we are going to twist it to the braking point and when that fails to make forward progress we are going to put it in reverse and twist it just as hard” you could of heard a pin drop lol. They had never imagined that you would apply the same force in reverse as forward. I did manage to break everything they sent me to try in 1 day. I finally had to tell them that I couldn’t afford to be the guinea pig any more, free axles and ujoints were great but lockers and ring and pinions were a killer. Went to tons and rockwells and never looked back.

Of course when Brian and I are involved there will be topic derail 😝
Never underestimate the arrogance and ignorance of the Tier 1 suppliers to the OEM's. Engineers are the absolute WORST for failing to comprehend use cases, and for stubbornly adhering to their incorrect assumptions. In some cases, it's beyond absurd.

I get particular satisfaction when my prejudice is confirmed in real life. You should be pleased to know that the same ass-hats that didn't comprehend your axle requirements (not the same person, but the same people) now work at the transmission factory, and still don't understand the requirements. At least 100 engineers, project managers, program managers, QE's DE's, and the entire QFD, and FMEA team made exactly the same mistake on the new ZF for the Bronco. Crawler gear in Forward ONLY??? Who does that? Who drives into a hole that they don't need to back out of?

The other one that you might appreciate regarding stupid engineering and faulty use cases is the new "Texas" highway barriers. The entire highway safety team evaluated the safety barriers with total disregard for the actual failure modes. Sure, the barrier might be "Safer" for the first guy that hits it. But after it has been impacted, and turns into a death ribbon...what happens to the 2nd guy who hits it? (Hmmm...didn't think of THAT!!!)

Sorry for the thread jack, but you all know what I think of Automatics. @nvrstuk can probably hear me giggling. But I am thinking of doing a Godzilla 7.3 / 6R80 in a shortbed F100 bumpside. So I'm subscribed.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Engineers are the absolute WORST for failing to comprehend use cases, and for stubbornly adhering to their incorrect assumptions. In some cases, it's beyond absurd.
Well....not ALL of us are like that...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Never underestimate the arrogance and ignorance of the Tier 1 suppliers to the OEM's. Engineers are the absolute WORST for failing to comprehend use cases, and for stubbornly adhering to their incorrect assumptions. In some cases, it's beyond absurd.

I get particular satisfaction when my prejudice is confirmed in real life. You should be pleased to know that the same ass-hats that didn't comprehend your axle requirements (not the same person, but the same people) now work at the transmission factory, and still don't understand the requirements. At least 100 engineers, project managers, program managers, QE's DE's, and the entire QFD, and FMEA team made exactly the same mistake on the new ZF for the Bronco. Crawler gear in Forward ONLY??? Who does that? Who drives into a hole that they don't need to back out of?

The other one that you might appreciate regarding stupid engineering and faulty use cases is the new "Texas" highway barriers. The entire highway safety team evaluated the safety barriers with total disregard for the actual failure modes. Sure, the barrier might be "Safer" for the first guy that hits it. But after it has been impacted, and turns into a death ribbon...what happens to the 2nd guy who hits it? (Hmmm...didn't think of THAT!!!)

Sorry for the thread jack, but you all know what I think of Automatics. @nvrstuk can probably hear me giggling. But I am thinking of doing a Godzilla 7.3 / 6R80 in a shortbed F100 bumpside. So I'm subscribed.
Yep, you are 100% correct but this wasn't a tier 1 supplier, just a well known aftermarket company that saw a need, and had only experienced roundy round, road and drag racing.... They did figure it out and am happy to say I was able to influence their product, it turned out fine and in reality, they were building a good product, I went from just braking 2:1 stub axles vs inner axles/ujoints to just destroying everything LOL. I needed to make the step up for my use and it paid off, still running those parts today, this was over 20 years ago.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
(Hmmm...didn't think of THAT!!!)
Sorry for the thread jack, but you all know what I think of Automatics. @nvrstuk can probably hear me giggling. But I am thinking of doing a Godzilla 7.3 / 6R80 in a shortbed F100 bumpside. So I'm susubscribed.
My .02, really expensive .02...

Don't buy a product built by Ford Performance.

Buy a used Zilla is ok.

After hearing other stories on top of my experience (even Mahle Piston manufacturing readily agrees with me) I would strongly suggest not relying on their engineering/assembly methodology.