• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Spot Welds from Tail Light Housing

Wyattman2015

Hi
I am new to cutting off body parts on my 71.
My question is when taking off the passenger rear lower quarter panel I see a metal plate that is right before the tail light housing and want to know how I get to the spot welds because there is only enough room to get a cutting wheel in there. The plate looks like I would hang the new quarter on it and weld it to that plate.
Also and when I install the lower quarter am I spot welding to that metal plate ?

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to cut that plate out if it is necessary!

Thank you
Robert

Torkman66

Contributor
Whenever I replace an old body panel, I cut the panel out around its parameter about 2 inches away from everywhere it is attached. That way you will have great access to all of the spot welds you need to get a tool into. For spot welding into those close areas, you will just need enough room to get a welding gun close to the spot weld holes you make. Also, just to make sure you know, whenever you are spot welding, make the weld as hot as the metal will stand so that it penetrates and goes in flat, not in a ball. Also, use temporary self-tapping screws or vice grips whenever possible to close any gaps in the two panels you are spot welding together. If there is even a slight gap, the spot weld may fail.

Good luck, take your time.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I agree. I use a panel cutter on an air chisel to cut the perimeter of the panel off to access the spot welds. These vise grips are a must have for clamping the pieces together through the taillight opening.

Attachments

• pliers.jpg
    pliers.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 18

Torkman66

Contributor
Those are great vice grips. There are so many different types and each can provide important access. Wished I had those when I did my taillights. I use self tapping screws a lot. With an extension on my driver, I was able to get several screws from the back side and through the tail light lens opening. As stated, spot welding can be misleading. You may think you have a good weld but it will pop off. You MUST set welder hot and ensure panels are tightly crimped together. A spot weld requires penetration of back panel. I make a spot weld or two and then if I have access behind the weld I look to see and feel a bit of weld through. If not, turn up the heat.