• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Lunar Green Paint - Where to find

wblroostertail

Building an early Bronco and wondering what general practices are for spraying the exact-match Ford Lunar Green color that was the original color from 1967. My body shop says it is hard to find and he is going to "match" the color. I'm from the Porsche world and when time to spray, we use exact color codes and colors. He has all the books and codes and says it can vary dramatically from shop-to-shop and rom paint manufacture, EX: PPG, etc. Thanks!

OP
OP
wblroostertail

wblroostertail

Thank you. I guess my concern is you can go to all these paint shops and they mix up the color to get it "close". Is there any way to get it exact? I don't want people coming up to me and saying, "sorry to break it to you, but that's not Lunar Green!".

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The hard part is sometimes a specific toner for the original formulation is no longer produced. I just had a new paint color sprayed and the body shop had a hard time finding one of the ingredients for the paint mix. It is a toner never used before and they had to find some. That was finding something new. Now try and find something that has not been in production for 40 years.

Another toner issue we had recently. Back when that Tsunami hit Japan, it was the only place in the world one of the toner ingredients was made. Some colors of new cars were not available for some time. Not talking imported cars, cars built here in the states.

There is a good chance that the exact formulation cannot be made. The paint shop will have to make an equivalent color.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Building an early Bronco and wondering what general practices are for spraying the exact-match Ford Lunar Green color that was the original color from 1967. My body shop says it is hard to find and he is going to "match" the color. I'm from the Porsche world and when time to spray, we use exact color codes and colors. He has all the books and codes and says it can vary dramatically from shop-to-shop and rom paint manufacture, EX: PPG, etc. Thanks!
Restoration shop paint in the above thread, not cheap but buy a quart and do a spray out