• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inside the gas tank wiring issue.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I am probably over thinking this, but I nicked the insulation on the wire of a brand new OEM gas tank sending unit. The wire is slightly exposed if twisted the right way. I am not sure if I should be concerned, because either end of the wire (at the fuel level float and at the bulkhead) are both exposed and un-insulated. I am sure regular heat shrink is not rated for submersion in gasoline. I guess there is really nothing that can spark inside and I know if the wire is submerged it wouldn't be an issue. I am just thinking about if it is up in the vapors in a low fuel situation.

Am I just being paranoid?

I thought about looking into some type of gasoline resistant gasket maker product to coat on the small area. I am open to suggestions or being told I am in idiot :geek:

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
The exposed wire is not an issue unless it touches the sender/pickup assembly and the only thing that will do make your fuel gauge inaccurate .. if you can get shrink wrap on it that would work,, tape most likley will be floating around in your tank in short order,,,

spark in a tank is not an issue the fuel vapor concentration will not allow ignition, if it did all the100's of millions of vehicle's with in tank fuel pumps would be at risk..

OP
OP
abn373

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
The exposed wire is not an issue unless it touches the sender/pickup assembly and the only thing that will do make your fuel gauge inaccurate .. if you can get shrink wrap on it that would work,, tape most likley will be floating around in your tank in short order,,,

spark in a tank is not an issue the fuel vapor concentration will not allow ignition, if it did all the100's of millions of vehicle's with in tank fuel pumps would be at risk..
Thanks. I figured it be ok. Decided to put this #2 gasoline resistant, flexible sealant on for some peace of mind. Looks ugly, but should insulate it from touching housing.
20230201_153605.jpg