• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Front Planetary

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
I am rebuilding my C4 in my 67. The tear down is complete. I have discovered I need a front planetary. DYNAMIC Racing Transmissions, Performance Automotive Transmission Center, Summit(Procomp Electronics), Jegs (Speedmaster) and others have them. 6 pinion, 4 pinion, and 3 pinion price ranging from $600 to $300.

I only want to do this once so what is your preferred selection.

The Bronco will be a street queen (some trails occasionally) with a mild 351W build 32" Swampers 3.89:1 in the 9"

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A stock 3 pinion planet is plenty strong for your use. We use a stock planet in the 500 horse Baja racer. It's driven hard but only 100% of the time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In case you didn't know it, Viperwolf is out resident C4 expert. Take his advise.

Planetary sets are not a common failure point. Stock replacment will be fine.

OP
OP
mudstud

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
In case you didn't know it, Viperwolf is out resident C4 expert. Take his advise.

Planetary sets are not a common failure point. Stock replacment will be fine.
Thanks I am aware of Viperwolf's prowess as a C4 expert and was hoping he would respond.

One of the pinions has a snag (catch) in it. I believe one of the needle bearings is toast or about to be toast.

OP
OP
mudstud

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
A stock 3 pinion planet is plenty strong for your use. We use a stock planet in the 500 horse Baja racer. It's driven hard but only 100% of the time.
Thanks where do you source them?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks where do you source them?
From other C4s. There are no new ones sitting in a warehouse anywhere. It is possible to use planet gears from a rear planetary assembly in the front assembly but you would need to find one of those.

ol gray mare

I picked one up from ebay used. There is a couple of Mustang junk yards in the south east that have some old c4s laying around. They sell on Ebay. My trans had a little water in it as it had sat in a junk yard for years. A lot of the internals had rust pitting. I found a number of obscure parts there.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are 2 or 3 versions of that front planet assembly, so you may need to find one in the right year range for your C4. General compatibility is 64-69 and 70 and up.

OP
OP
mudstud

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
Thanks for the recommendations. Next question. Where do you get your stock torque converters?

79INA69

Thanks for the recommendations. Next question. Where do you get your stock torque converters?
TRANSSTAR INDUSTRIES. Personally have bought 4 from them with no problems. I get all my transmission parts from them

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just one more thing to know, whether it happens to come up in your case or not.
There were two bolt patterns for the torque converters where they mate to the flywheels/flex plates.
The last I heard the torque converters are still available in both patterns, but the flywheels only available in one.
So make sure what bolt pattern your existing flex plate will use before you purchase a converter.

I’m only assuming that that information is still valid. I’m sure the others in this thread will know for sure.