• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 + Dana 20 conversion question

H20rider

‘68 half cab , 302 with floor mount 4speed toploader with Hurst shifter.
I have a NV3550 and the conversion kit.
I am wondering how I will be able to accommodate both shift sticks on the new set-up.
I see twin shifter boots available, but do the two sticks line up when installed, or is there something else to make the arrangement work?
Thanks

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am not clear on what the question is. I assume that by "both shift sticks" you mean the T-Case and NV shifters. Many folks have done the NV3550 with all of the versions of T-case and there is no problem .

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Also confused on what sticks you're referring to. Where does the toploader stick come out of the floor? In the center of the tunnel or on the side like a three speed floor conversion? If out of the center, the NV3550 will come out in reasonably the same location. Regardless, as MarsChariot pointed out, the transmission and transfer case shifters won't be anywhere near each other and won't cause any interference.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
The Tcase stick(s) and the NV3550 stick should come threw the same "hole". I'm not sure if it will be the same hole as your current 4 speed shifter.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
What? The transmission and transfer case shifters will come through the floor in completely different locations. Not through the same hole.
At least in mine 71 ended up with both shifters coming through the same "hole" but hey maybe you can make more precise cuts and end up with two separate holes

Attachments

• shifter1.jpg
    shifter1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 12
  • shifter2.jpg
    shifter2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 10

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I'm trying to wrap my head around how that works. Normally the NV3550 shifter sits forward of the T-case levers. Here is mine. I even made abezel with the offset that was a prototype for the JBFab design.

Attachments

• boot_trim.jpg
    boot_trim.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
H20rider

H20rider

All good information. Yes, one stick is for the t-case. The toploader with a Hurst shifter emerges back (aft) and left of the t-shift.
Based upon the pictures and info, I see it should work out.
I must say, it will be nice to get the Hurst side linkages out and add on the overdrive.