• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Picture stories of what we are working on in the Shop.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice. And nice to have a forklift handy when needed too!

Paul

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul! A forklift is an absolute necessity here around our shop! I would be "out-of-business" with one! We use it for unloading parts, moving stuff around,, picking up Broncos to pressure wash the mud away, check suspension flex, shoot!... even pulling the kink out of an inner fender!!🙃🙂

Attachments

• 100_2930.JPG
    100_2930.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_2934.JPG
    100_2934.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_2953.JPG
    100_2953.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Buttercup 4.1.jpg
    Buttercup 4.1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 57
  • Buttercup 4.2.jpg
    Buttercup 4.2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 63

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet! Looks like the perfect tool for when you don't have any 4x4's for propping up the rig and need to weld on that gas tank from underneath! Right?:rolleyes:
(You've seen those pics on the internet I suppose?)

Looks like it can do just about anything you need. I like that brace you made to pull out the fender apron. Nice.

Paul

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Been sitting a while, but just ordered a new GEN3 Coyote, transmission and all the parts for installation.

Front.jpg

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Suspension.jpg
    Suspension.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This has really been my first experience with the new bodies and it has been an educational one for me! This was a complete package from Carpenter with all the parts and the hardware from them. The doors came pre-hung with the front clip and tailgate in boxes inside the tub. The gaps of the doors and the rear quarter panels were huge, and the fenders couldn't even be installed (Hitting doors, or sitting on top of doors). The doors were both moved rearward 3/16" - 1/4" and this allowed the fenders to be installed along with the grill. The fenders were the weld together option which allowed for the maximum adjustablility of the front clip. With huge amounts of patience, the gaps were made close to perfect.

The tailgate pivots at the bottom were improperly sized and the tailgate hinge had 1/2" of slop in the joint. The socket was cut out and re-welded into the correct position (each side). The windshield to window frame gap was perfect on one side and off at the top on the other. Upon examination, the frame was welded together off plane...ie not flat! ... frame corrected to flatness and voila! The gaps were good! ( The holes on the top of the frame had to be slotted on one side because of the frame being crooked for some reason.)

Many holes were welded up and new ones drilled. About 400 to be more specific!!! Lots of holes!! And....you guessed it! They have to be in a specific location!! .....19 on the firewall!

Why do they stamp the holes in the top of the drivers side door hinge post for the mystical switch that was only used for two or three years, but they don't stamp the holes for the firewall pad that was used every year?!?!? ....

Why do they spray the black paint in places and other places the silver weld through primer?!?... And the weld through is not in the seams (where it should be), but just out on the flat panels??? ...just to make it look good for the customer I guess!

Are all the shears in Taiwan dull? I think they are, because every piece to new metal has an edge that will cut you! Keep the bandaids handy!!

Anyway, to summarize what I've learned from the new body experience....

1. I understand why Maxlider and Velocity and others starting price for a Bronco with a new body is $250,000!... and why Jonathan Ward (Icon) doesn't use them ..
2. With enough time spent (great patience), you can make the body fit as nice or better that a Ford one!
3. You better have several Broncos as a reference and a guide while you work on the new body!!!!!!!
4. Metal cutting and welding capabilities are a Must!
5. You need to understand the physics of forming metal and have a big hammer that you aren't scared to use!

and... the most important of all, is to realize that this new body isn't really a Ford Bronco body!!!! Really!! Yes! really!! It is a REPLICA of the Ford Bronco body! It just happens to be steel, but made in Taiwan mostly, but not the USA and definitely not by Ford Motor Company! It is a REPLICA of the beloved Classic Ford Bronco! When you think of it like this, it changes the expected standard, Alan 75 2.0.jpg and you can realize that really this is a pretty nice piece! A Replica that is really pretty close to the original!!!

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More picture stories and less moaning.....:LOL:

Attachments

• Alan 75 1.9.jpg
    Alan 75 1.9.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Alan 75 1.8.jpg
    Alan 75 1.8.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Alan 75 1.7.jpg
    Alan 75 1.7.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Alan 75 1.6.jpg
    Alan 75 1.6.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Alan 75 1.5.jpg
    Alan 75 1.5.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Alan 75 1.4.jpg
    Alan 75 1.4.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Alan 75 2.1.jpg
    Alan 75 2.1.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 38

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
This has really been my first experience with the new bodies and it has been an educational one for me! This was a complete package from Carpenter with all the parts and the hardware from them. The doors came pre-hung with the front clip and tailgate in boxes inside the tub. The gaps of the doors and the rear quarter panels were huge, and the fenders couldn't even be installed (Hitting doors, or sitting on top of doors). The doors were both moved rearward 3/16" - 1/4" and this allowed the fenders to be installed along with the grill. The fenders were the weld together option which allowed for the maximum adjustablility of the front clip. With huge amounts of patience, the gaps were made close to perfect.

The tailgate pivots at the bottom were improperly sized and the tailgate hinge had 1/2" of slop in the joint. The socket was cut out and re-welded into the correct position (each side). The windshield to window frame gap was perfect on one side and off at the top on the other. Upon examination, the frame was welded together off plane...ie not flat! ... frame corrected to flatness and voila! The gaps were good! ( The holes on the top of the frame had to be slotted on one side because of the frame being crooked for some reason.)

Many holes were welded up and new ones drilled. About 400 to be more specific!!! Lots of holes!! And....you guessed it! They have to be in a specific location!! .....19 on the firewall!

Why do they stamp the holes in the top of the drivers side door hinge post for the mystical switch that was only used for two or three years, but they don't stamp the holes for the firewall pad that was used every year?!?!? ....

Why do they spray the black paint in places and other places the silver weld through primer?!?... And the weld through is not in the seams (where it should be), but just out on the flat panels??? ...just to make it look good for the customer I guess!

Are all the shears in Taiwan dull? I think they are, because every piece to new metal has an edge that will cut you! Keep the bandaids handy!!

Anyway, to summarize what I've learned from the new body experience....

1. I understand why Maxlider and Velocity and others starting price for a Bronco with a new body is $250,000!... and why Jonathan Ward (Icon) doesn't use them ..
2. With enough time spent (great patience), you can make the body fit as nice or better that a Ford one!
3. You better have several Broncos as a reference and a guide while you work on the new body!!!!!!!
4. Metal cutting and welding capabilities are a Must!
5. You need to understand the physics of forming metal and have a big hammer that you aren't scared to use!

and... the most important of all, is to realize that this new body isn't really a Ford Bronco body!!!! Really!! Yes! really!! It is a REPLICA of the Ford Bronco body! It just happens to be steel, but made in Taiwan mostly, but not the USA and definitely not by Ford Motor Company! It is a REPLICA of the beloved Classic Ford Bronco! When you think of it like this, it changes the expected standard, View attachment 896986 and you can realize that really this is a pretty nice piece! A Replica that is really pretty close to the original!!!
I'm tired just reading all that work Dennis 🤪

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Love seeing the pics of buttercup getting tweaked on!

Man, I think a lot of people need to hear your description of putting new bodies together. I think a lot less original bronco bodies would get trashed, at least Id hope so. Nice work Dennis. Impressive to spend all that time and dedication perfecting. I for one don't think I'd have the patience... Maybe if I had a bigger place to work it would help. Hard to have one project consume the entire garage for months or even years. Haha

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jessie! This isn't for Buttercup! I wouldn't swap Buttercup for a train load of these new bodies!!! This was a body we were building for someone else. Yes, I agree. I think a lot of people are deceived and think "Oh well, I'll just throw my old rustly beat up body away and get a new one!"..... Well.. Yes you can, but it's not as easy as you think...
Love seeing the pics of buttercup getting tweaked on!

Man, I think a lot of people need to hear your description of putting new bodies together. I think a lot less original bronco bodies would get trashed, at least Id hope so. Nice work Dennis. Impressive to spend all that time and dedication perfecting. I for one don't think I'd have the patience... Maybe if I had a bigger place to work it would help. Hard to have one project consume the entire garage for months or even years. Haha