• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20?

Jaybr

Contributor
I’m rebuilding my Dana 20, 73 J shift. When I reassembled the front shaft, there is a pretty good amount of play in the main drive gear. I have both bearings in, races fully seated, and the spacer in place.

There is probably 1/16” slop in it, is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes there is a problem. There are shims that provide pre load. There should be zero slop

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Sorry for the confusion, the slop is not in the shaft, endplay there is fine. The slop is only in the Main Drive Gear 7100 in the diagram. I don't have 7026 which I think is a snap ring, there wasn't one in there and I don't recall there being a groove in the shaft.

Couldn't tell you if this is the original D20, but I doubt it. Based on the diagram is looks like it's a 76 Image 2-20-23 at 12.01 AM.jpeg

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am not sure about the missing snap ring on your diagram 7026 on mine. My Diagram is for a T shift and there were changes made from T to J. however. I just rebuilt a 76 Transfer case and it had the 7026 ring. If you think about it the ring in question has nothing to do with end play. but would have an effect on your main drive. But if the snap was eliminated by ford all they would of need was a thicker space # 7067. Viperwolf is the man to ask. He is up to speed on all of this dana 20 stuff and everything else for that matter.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Took it apart, looks like it was my stupid mistake putting the wrong spacer in there. I used one of the bearing spacers from the center shaft

The correct one is thicker and is press fit on the shaft.

BTW: there is a snap ring groove on the shaft, but there wasn’t one and I don’t think there is room with the proper spacer.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Took it apart, looks like it was my stupid mistake putting the wrong spacer in there. I used one of the bearing spacers from the center shaft

The correct one is thicker and is press fit on the shaft.

BTW: there is a snap ring groove on the shaft, but there wasn’t one and I don’t think there is room with the proper spacer.

Well the spacer is not a press fit. is I think wrong spacer and if you have a groove for a clip, you need a clip.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have a few disassembled 20's around here. I can look and see if I can find you the clip and the spacer #7026 and # 7067

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The T and J shafts are quite different. It may look like a snap ring groove on the J shaft but it isn't. J is on the left.

Attachments

• Bronco 018.jpg
    Bronco 018.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20130830_144430.jpg
    IMG_20130830_144430.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Once I pulled it apart I realized that the spacer I had on there, and the one I had on the bench where both wrong. I have a spare D20, so I pulled the front shaft apart and luckily it was the same configuration as mine, spacer no clip. Pulled that spacer off and it fit perfect. Don't know where the original went, I pulled this thing apart a few months ago and kept everything together, it will probably show up at some point.

A buddy loaned me a tool he made for the center gear needle bearings, so that went together i first shot no issues.

Then on to the Advanced Adapter, which came fully assembled when I had the trans rebuilt. The gear from my adapter wouldn't go down far enough to fit the snap ring. Quick call to the builder and decided the bearing probably wasn't seated all the way, which was the issue. Quick minute on the press solved that.

Last issue was getting the D20 mounted to the 4r70w which is already in the chassis. Had to loosen the tranny to crossmember mount and raise the tranny to get the bottom bolt on.

All-in-all was a great learning experience and the case is now installed.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
In the garage yesterday and noticed that the bearing retainer for the front shaft is leaking:mad:. Fortunately I still have the body off and won't have to pull it off the tranny to fix. Any suggestions on what to use between the 3 shims? I smeared a thin coat of silicon gasket maker on them first time.