• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do I put on Hagerty insurance form?

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So it's time to get insurance for the old EB and I'm going through the form online.
On the first page they ask if the horsepower is increased by 50 HP or more. I have a 1995 mustang GT 5.0 block with an Edelbrock ProFlow 4. Manifold and headers.
The mustang GT specs for 1995 are 215 horsepower. The EB specs for 1971 are 205 horsepower. I think the pro flow 4 will add a few ponies, but my inclination is that I'm safe to say that I will be within 50 horsepower of factory?

Anybody have advice?

THX,
JB

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'm sure more HP cost more money, but my inclination is that I'm not going to have more than 50 horsepower more than stock. You think a roller motor and EFI would be significant, but I won't know till I dyno it.

Thanks,
JB

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So are they figuring that if you have more HP then you will drive like an idiot?

If at this point, your rig is less than 50 HP over factory and you want to insure it now, then insure it at that price point. If later in the future, when you finish your mods, it appears to have more HP, then you can adjust your insurance.

I find the whole insurance industry to be sort of a scam, they worry about you, your age, how many miles you drive, the safety features your vehicle has or doesn't have, etc. We all treat our Broncos with respect, we have hours working on them, $$ in them, which would be more today to buy those accessories, and the cost just to get in one is beyond the ability of most folks. What we worry about is coverage for theft, some type of natural disaster, and the other idiots on the road...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good question, I'm sure someone has experienced same and can chime in

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
It's totally a scam!
My biggest concern is theft. My EB has already been stolen twice, however, the would be thieves were deterred by the fact that I used to turn the fuel tank valve vertical when I parked it in Tucson!
On both occasions I found it hotwired, but stalled and out of gas about two blocks from my house!
Now I have EFI, which is a little easier to protect from hot wiring, but the tank valve is gone in favor of 23 gallon tank.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
It's totally a scam!
My biggest concern is theft. My EB has already been stolen twice, however, the would be thieves were deterred by the fact that I used to turn the fuel tank valve vertical when I parked it in Tucson!
On both occasions I found it hotwired, but stalled and out of gas about two blocks from my house!
Now I have EFI, which is a little easier to protect from hot wiring, but the tank valve is gone in favor of 23 gallon tank.

Ouch... 2 times that sucks

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think you're putting way too much thought into it. The questions are a one size fits all.

In your case and SO many others we're talking minimal increase. Really anyone who rebuilds an engine and has the block and heads decked for cleanup has increased HP some right? I think they're looking for big increases, blowers, big tunes that kind of thing. I mean I had my FE rebuilt and it bumped the numbers some but with no dyno sheet it's just all conjecture. Not to be a jerk but you're just guessing it's 50HP right? Maybe it's the same or less than stock RIGHT :)

The big question for me is, Stolen twice? Doesn't Hagerty require it not be a daily driver and kept in a locked garage when not in use? I seem to recall that being the sticking point on my rig. I don't have a shelter to keep it locked up in. My Mach1 and Shelby take up both spots.

Tim

GloNDark

I have had a couple of Broncos insured thru Hagerty. I too feel like car insurance is a damn scam but I have to have it so I went with Hagerty. My old boss had a 32 ford kit truck insured thru them and someone hit it in the parking lot and "totaled" it. Hagerty was easy to deal with. He got the full amount for his truck and bought it back. Ordered a new kit body and swapped it.

For my 70 Bronco I called and talked to an agent, he suggested that I leave the motor as "stock", which I did. Ever after he saw pics of it. He said "Looks stock to me, super clean and all new but stock"

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I think you're putting way too much thought into it. The questions are a one size fits all.

In your case and SO many others we're talking minimal increase. Really anyone who rebuilds an engine and has the block and heads decked for cleanup has increased HP some right? I think they're looking for big increases, blowers, big tunes that kind of thing. I mean I had my FE rebuilt and it bumped the numbers some but with no dyno sheet it's just all conjecture. Not to be a jerk but you're just guessing it's 50HP right? Maybe it's the same or less than stock RIGHT :)

The big question for me is, Stolen twice? Doesn't Hagerty require it not be a daily driver and kept in a locked garage when not in use? I seem to recall that being the sticking point on my rig. I don't have a shelter to keep it locked up in. My Mach1 and Shelby take up both spots.

Tim
It was stolen twice in the 1990s when I lived in Tucson. It's much better protected now, but that doesn't mean I won't take it on the road.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have talked with Hagerty reps (not local agents selling Hagerty) at least 8 times or more over the years preceeding their decision to insure Broncos that actually drive on a gravel road or similar, thats my background.

When I talked with Hagerty again 2 yrs ago AFTER they started to insure Broncos they asked me what my HP was. I said is there a limit or anything? They said yes, 800 HP moves you into some other category. I said I have over 600HP and they said no problem, next question?? Lift they said 6". Then the big debate about "off-road", like trails, camping, beach driving, etc, etc.

Hagerty has really broadened their coverage of non-typical vehicles the past 8 yrs

I have State Farm on my Broncos since I changed all my insurance to them including our business. I haven't heard horror stories from them but I do know thru our Hot Rod club that members insured with Hagerty that have had fire, theft, damage, collosion claims, etc that no-one has had ANY hassle with Hagerty paying up. Not a one.

Last edited:

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I tried to put hagerty on all my classic vehicles this year but I truthfully disclosed that my broncos and vw bus were title under my company name, Jesse Williams Photography. She asked what I used them for. I told her that I took them to shows and local events as promotional vehicle with the occasional drive to work every now and then. Seemed like everything was all good but then she came back after chatting with her boss and said they couldn't cover me because of the business. I was pretty bummed. Now I need to find someone else to insure them.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I tried to put hagerty on all my classic vehicles this year but I truthfully disclosed that my broncos and vw bus were title under my company name, Jesse Williams Photography. She asked what I used them for. I told her that I took them to shows and local events as promotional vehicle with the occasional drive to work every now and then. Seemed like everything was all good but then she came back after chatting with her boss and said they couldn't cover me because of the business. I was pretty bummed. Now I need to find someone else to insure them.
That bites! I've jumped around on insurance but I currently have everything with State Farm and have been as happy as one can be with an insurance company I suppose. They have been easy to work with.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Thank you for mentioning State Farm! I've already got one vehicle insured there, and I called for a quote. 38 bucks a month for $70K stipulated coverage, glass, towing, collision, 250/500,000 liability.
No hassles about if I use it to go to the supermarket, no hassles if I use it to go on a bronco run, so long as I keep it under 7,500 miles per year. I'm good, and if I go over it costs just a little bit more.
As nearly as I can tell, the coverage is much better and the price is lower, and they didn't even ask about horsepower!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thank you for mentioning State Farm! I've already got one vehicle insured there, and I called for a quote. 38 bucks a month for $70K stipulated coverage, glass, towing, collision, 250/500,000 liability.
No hassles about if I use it to go to the supermarket, no hassles if I use it to go on a bronco run, so long as I keep it under 7,500 miles per year. I'm good, and if I go over it costs just a little bit more.
As nearly as I can tell, the coverage is much better and the price is lower, and they didn't even ask about horsepower!
Except State Farm's coverage likely isn't agreed value, or maybe even stated value?

Todd Z.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Actually it is but I don’t know the limit. I have my project insured for the time being and I asked them what I need to do when it’s done and they said they’ll just insure it under an antique/classic policy and they just wanted pictures of it but when I told them what these are going for finished…he said I need an appraisal to do that much.

I’ll need to figure that out when I’m done.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
They had two options. One was " market value," and the other was stated. The stated was a little bit more expensive but still under 40 bucks a month.
Since I'm doing a patina build, but a full mechanical resto with EFI and lockers, Plus all the nice lifts. Bumpers, winches, etc.,I put 70k on my truck, I think I could replace it for that if it was stolen or burned. I didn't want to argue with an adjuster based on what would be perceived as an unrestored bronco from somebody who didn't know better.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have a stated value on mmu State Farm policy and it is written down and accepted by State Farm appraisers. Need to increase it again since parts prices have doubled in 3 yrs. I told them what I wanted, they said I might need an appraisal, then they called me back and said "no problem". Guess that should have been my clue that I'm under-insured. lol

I need to up it by 30K probably.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, I’m worried about that. I posted on the NorCal forum asking if anyone has appraised their Bronco around here but no responses, so no idea what to do. I’d be crushed if it got stolen or burned. Lots of blood sweat tears, and dough… and too many years of storage.

Even putting keyless start, starter disable, proximity, 4g gps locating…. Step away from my Bronco, sir!

nvrstuk

Contributor
I think at this point I'd be better off with a market value instead of stated... lol