• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam recommendation needed

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have a 302 roller motor I am rebuilding. I would like to know If any of you have a favorite camshaft the you like? I need to purchase one so I am looking for recommendations. 70 % street 30% trail. standard trans (Ax15), carb. Not looking for anything nasty that won't idle down a trail. But pulls good to about 4500 RPM.
Thanks
Bax

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The stock Explorer cam isn't a bad choice....Nice low end torque. I ran it for a while in my W. Ran nice idled well.
Explorer F4TE-6250-BA Hydraulic Roller
Intake at 1.6 rocker ratio .422" lift 256 duration
Exhaust at 1.6 rocker ratio .448" lift 266 duration
1.7 rockers is .449 intake and .476 Exhaust
116 lobe separation

I changed (it's a long story and had nothing to do with the cam) to below and could tell a difference. Not over the moon but it was stronger. Again low end torque. My SN95 EFI didn't like this cam but was not tuned specifically for it. I had a "hunting" idle. I added an idle air bypass to the IAC and problem solved.
Comp 35-349-8/XE264HR
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 264/270
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 212/218
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .512/.512
LSA/ICL:114/110
RPM Range: 1,500-5,500

What heads are you planning to run? P heads will need upgraded valve springs if running anything over the stock Explorer cam

Tim

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
What heads are you planning to run? P heads will need upgraded valve springs if running anything over the stock Explorer cam

Tim

Just an FYI, with the comp cams and valve spring change I did on an Explorer P-head motor, there was a little more valve train noise. I took it back to the builder twice and was told that was expected? Wish he had mentioned that when we talked about the upgrade... New Owner of my former Bronco also had concerns (Many more miles on the motor at this point) and was told the same by the Builder.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Just an FYI, with the comp cams and valve spring change I did on an Explorer P-head motor, there was a little more valve train noise. I took it back to the builder twice and was told that was expected? Wish he had mentioned that when we talked about the upgrade... New Owner of my former Bronco also had concerns (Many more miles on the motor at this point) and was told the same by the Builder.
Really? I don't notice any noise I would think was an issue as it it doesn't sound any different but then again my 55 year old ears are not what they were. Too much of that dang rock and roll LOL. I didn't use comp springs. I bought a set from https://alexsparts.com/ Had my engine guy set the heads up. I did get new pushrods. Reused the old lifters and rockers. I do run 15w-40 oil if that matter.....

Tim

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Mine was .020 over pistons, new lifters, pushrod change, same rockers, 10w-30, and it was a Comp kit so all their stuff (Machinist insisted)
Not like the sound was loud, just at idle we could hear a little more noise...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dave’s red 72 was always very loud too Doug.
I can’t remember if he was running a stock engine or modified, but knowing Dave it was probably modified.
I never could quite tell if it was under the rocker covers or was the fuel injectors, but it was always noisy.
Don’t remember ever taking a stethoscope to anything to determine what was going on, and it ran great for years.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Again, it really depends on what heads you’re going to run and what other mods you’re doing to the engine. A cam won’t help much if you’re going to choke it down with crappy heads, exhaust, and intake.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My chosen low-rpm cam for an Explorer engine is just a step below Timmy's at the Comp Cams 35-512 roller in the XE 258 HR family.
Wanted to keep my lift down at, or just below the .500 mark. Won't be breathing as well perhaps, but still a decent runner that some others on the NorCalBroncos site are running in their wheelers and are very happy with.

paul

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My chosen low-rpm cam for an Explorer engine is just a step below Timmy's at the Comp Cams 35-512 roller in the XE 258 HR family.
Wanted to keep my lift down at, or just below the .500 mark. Won't be breathing as well perhaps, but still a decent runner that some others on the NorCalBroncos site are running in their wheelers and are very happy with.

paul
Isn't that the cam the NorCal boys call "The Stump Puller"

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure that's the same one. Some described it as pulling like a tractor.
Not sure what gearing I'll finally end up with, but it's currently at 4.11 with 33" tires and a carburetor, but will get EFI and an NV3550 at some point added to the mix.
I like smooth idling, but also like to rev it up now and then and don't shy away from 70-75 on the highway.
So not out of line for that cam I'm thinking.

Paul

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks for the replies. Not sure what heads I have. I will have to look up the casting numbers. I will be running headers, 4.56 gear s with 33 '' tire. . Going to the shop to get casting numbers. Not afraid to change heads.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Heads don't look like anything special. Perhaps I should look for something else. These have the smaller exhaust ports. valves are not very big. Not sure what these are. How about some pictures.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 21

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not like you won't feel the new cam (any new cam!) in the seat of the pants, even with the old heads. But better heads are definitely big winners in the engine-updating game.
Anything from E7 castings, to GT40 and especially GT40-P heads (if you don't have headers you don't mind modifying or tossing that is) are all good factory heads.
Aftermarket aluminum is ultimately the way to go for performance and weight savings (including the wallet weight), but I like stock iron heads too for their simplicity, ease of finding and cost.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
E7TE are late truck/5.0 HO heads. Not terrible but explorer heads would be a better choice.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
E7'S were on Stangs to. 1990-1995 for sure with the Cobras having GT40's.

Not a bad head at all but as mentioned GT40 is better and GT40P is arguably the best when talking cast-iron. P' have the odd plug angle to deal with.

My W had a cracked E7 on it. Took forever to figure it out. I went P's as replacements. Pulled them from the local yard.

Tim

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks for the info on the heads. So assume I find some gt40 heads. Still looking for more cam options.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Efiguy recommended this one for a good efi friendly cam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228_202349_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_202349_Gallery.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 48